King of Shaves Oil

I have tried with and without, and I really don't think it makes a difference. I have some Kinexium and Alpha Shave Oil Cooling Menthol. It used to make a massive difference when I was using a cartridge and gel from a can. Since my recent switch to TOOBs cream and EJ best brush and a EJ89, I find it makes no noticeable difference, and this makes me think I just don't need it now I'm using cream and a brush.

Would be interested to know if you more experienced DE users would agree?

Like yourself, I used to use them with my cartridge and gel setup during the dark days of my teens and early twenties in a bid to end irritation and stop my neck looking like a grated elbow. I agree with your sentiment that with a good quality soap and brush (coupled with improved technique and a good blade of course!) the KoS oil became defunct as part I my routine.

Sadly, I've not tried any alternatives to the KoS oil, so I can't comment on what they're like. I personally prefer to put my faith in quality materials, tools and technique.

.....Plus I like to spend money on stuff.

I've used the KOS one and another brand, also baby oil with menthol crystals in it, but it didn't make any noticable difference to the shave results, it's nice to put on and the menthol feels good but that's all. I don't bother anymore as it just adds to the length of the shave and clean up.

I've never used gel + oil so can't comment but I think it can help initially when you don't really know how to create decent lather with good slip and lubrication, in the end most come to the conclusion as you did that using oil with good lather is fairly redundant.

I went through a phase of using oil pre shave and it did help. Then I learnt to use a straight and realised then my lather was too dry. Now back to using a DE and my lather is wetter and better so the oil isn't needed any more.

I've used a few of the preshave oils and the shave oils . King of shaves being one , the Pacific product being another but haven't been very happy with them alone or as a Pre.
Came across this video and I think the barber is saying "Tea Tree Oil". He does the whole shave with an open razor just using the oil!!
Have any of you ever tried of this before???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z8Y25rcvEs&sns=em

I've been thinking of trying this - I used to use the KoS oil as a travelling solution when I was using cartridges, and the problem was always razor clogging. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue for a straight.

Johnus said:
I've used a few of the preshave oils and the shave oils . King of shaves being one , the Pacific product being another but haven't been very happy with them alone or as a Pre.
Came across this video and I think the barber is saying "Tea Tree Oil". He does the whole shave with an open razor just using the oil!!

Yes I have with good results KOS I grow a lot of whiskers but they are not course I find using just oil useful when I neaten up around my goatee and Sids the absence of lather makes neat lines a lot easier

Johnus said:

I enjoyed this video. At 8 mins does he say"'Beaver brush"? :p

Back
Top Bottom