Lather Shots

66854a399c7f7a3e6d82770454dd683f.jpg

A very quick test lather with my new brush and some Caties Bubbles LPV

Wow good lather but i'm with webcat86, I must be seriously doing something wrong lol I load up then sometimes face lather but now preferring bowl lathering in either a large cup or my new suribachi bowl but get nothing like these. Soap at the moment is Razorock with an omega brush. Will see what results I get when my gift from my son arrives from Italian Barber a nice Plisoft and some Barrister and Mann soap.

It really is all technique based. Using a boar I would load and create lather differently to that of a badger. Saying that in addition different boars have different characteristics (for example, Omega and Semogue) so you tune into each brush.

As a basic rule I get thicker slicker and more sheen like lather using a badger brush, probably down to the amount of water held in the brsitle.

A good experiment is to load the soap for a minute using pressure and again without pressure. Build your lather in a bowl on both ocassions and keep adding drops of water and build, till the lather collapses. This will give you a rough idea of the soap's capabilities. Some soaps take less than 5 minutes (from loading to building) to create a thick lather (creams usually being the easiest, but not necessarily the best) others longer. You will soon develop that 'sweet spot' for a particular product, usually when load time, water addition, and brush selection has been determined.

Reactions: zad
It really is all technique based. Using a boar I would load and create lather differently to that of a badger.

A good experiment is to load the soap for a minute using pressure and again without pressure. Build your lather in a bowl on both ocassions and keep adding drops of water and build, till the lather collapses. This will give you a rough idea of the soap's capabilities. Some soaps take less than 5 minutes (from loading to building) to create a thick lather (creams usually being the easiest, but not necessarily the best) others longer.

Hah, I have an idea for you,

Now I see why it can sometimes take you 8 minutes to create lather with some soaps, with maybe 5 minutes the average. It's because you are loading the hell outta the brush with way more product than needed. By a long shot, and even using a flopmeister. Two minutes loading is a bunch of time, especially with a soft soap. Even one minute is a lot for those and plenty for a hard soap most times. Twenty seconds on a soft soap like Old Spice or Safari or glycerin based, and thirty-forty five seconds for a hard one like DR Harris is what works for me and that's with 4 passes worth of lather picked up in the brush after done with face lathering and adding dribbles of water along the way.

Maybe try cutting back sometime and see how quick things go with no lack of quality. Just a thought, buddy. To me, even five minutes total is a bit much.

Marty

Last edited:
Hah, I have an idea for you,

Now I see why it can sometimes take you 8 minutes to create lather with some soaps, with maybe 5 minutes the average. It's because you are loading the hell outta the brush with way more product than needed. By a long shot, and even using a flopmeister. Two minutes loading is a bunch of time, especially with a soft soap. Even one minute is a lot for those and plenty for a hard soap most times. Twenty seconds on a soft soap like Old Spice or Safari or glycerin based, and thirty-forty five seconds for a hard one like DR Harris is what works for me and that's with 4 passes worth of lather picked up in the brush after done with face lathering and adding dribbles of water along the way.

Maybe try cutting back sometime and see how quick things go with no lack of quality. Just a thought, buddy. To me, even five minutes total is a bit much.

Marty

Hey Marty, couldn't agree more, Tabac many CB and other vintage or longer cured soaps take very little time. Supported by old literature; stating a few paint brush strokes over the soap and you have enough, I have found this to be true in some cases. Thing is the above lathers are varied, some I have loaded with the brush almost half full, for example the Olibanum which I find needs more product just to aid slickness and others I have loaded for no longer than 30 seconds (LPL, CB and Tabac). I usually only load those that produce fluffy or over watered lather for longer to avoid this. Guess it depends on soap and technique. By the way which is your favourite vintage soap or croap on performance alone?

. By the way which is your favourite vintage soap or croap on performance alone?

There's a few old soaps/creams that stand out. One is the Floris soap with tallow, available from one vendor being sold wholesale that goes back maybe 9-10 years ago. Man, I thought lots of other soaps would be that good when I sold mine off after a while, but it wasn't the case. Also, I never saw em again which is a bite! Hah, one of our members used it just the other day, maybe to taunt me I hope.

The Safari is a real nice performer with easy to whip lather and very good everything else. This also may be drying up and tough to come by at higher prices than usual.

Bowls of the old Yardley never did impress me all that much. Nice looking and easy to make lather but nothing special on my face.

One vintage soap I still do look for is made by Lentheric and it will often be seen in a plastic art deco box kinda thing. You want to buy this if there's some you see. Good as I have used and lathers like a rabid Saint Bernard. Yeah, it's a real sleeper.

There's a few old soaps/creams that stand out. One is the Floris soap with tallow, available from one vendor being sold wholesale that goes back maybe 9-10 years ago. Man, I thought lots of other soaps would be that good when I sold mine off after a while, but it wasn't the case. Also, I never saw em again which is a bite! Hah, one of our members used it just the other day, maybe to taunt me I hope.

The Safari is a real nice performer with easy to whip lather and very good everything else. This also may be drying up and tough to come by at higher prices than usual.

Bowls of the old Yardley never did impress me all that much. Nice looking and easy to make lather but nothing special on my face.

One vintage soap I still do look for is made by Lentheric and it will often be seen in a plastic art deco box kinda thing. You want to buy this if there's some you see. Good as I have used and lathers like a rabid Saint Bernard. Yeah, it's a real sleeper.
What is your opinion of vintage old spice?

Back
Top Bottom