Lethal craft knife

It's quite simply a lock knife using Stanley knife blades so I suppose it gets around the law in that regard. A lot of metal for the money that could be easily converted.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-D0938F01-367B810D/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=934

If the blade locks open its still not street legal is it? How does it get round the law in that regard?
Not trying to be an arse, just genuinley interested. AS far as I was aware ALL blades that locked in an open position were illegal to carry without good reason

Re: RE: Lethal craft knife

daz said:
If the blade locks open its still not street legal is it? How does it get round the law in that regard?
Not trying to be an arse, just genuinley interested. AS far as I was aware ALL blades that locked in an open position were illegal to carry without good reason

your thinking of a lock knife.

if that was the case all stanley knifes would be ilegal as well

daz said:

It is illegal to:
sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it's a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)

its not band but your not allowed to carry them without a reason e.g. transport to and from work

My opinion is that isn't a pocket knife it's classed as a folding utility knife so isn't legal to carry in the uk but is legal to use in the home or business if required for a purpose.

In the multinational company which I work for h&s mental shop floor we are not allowed to use any form of grinder (we're a heavy engineering factory) and were not allowed to use Stanley type locking blade knives to open packaging it has to be the sprung type which is ok ish for cardboard but shockingly bad and slightly dangerous for plastic sheet

The illegallity doesnt come down to whether it locks or not, it comes down to where you carry it and why. Lock knifes are not illegal, you just cant carry them about on your person, in public, without good reason. Lock knifes are legal, just not to carry about down to the town on a friday night. Stanley knifes ARE illegal to carry on your person without good reason. Have one at work and you're fine, carry it to work in your glovebox and it is illegal, carry it to work in a toolbox however and all is well. AFAIK the only knifes that are completely banned in uk are automatics, ie flick knifes, whether side opening or out the top, and balisong/butterfly knifes. Again, fixed blades are ok as long as you have reaon. I quite often carry a fixed and a locking knife, but it is usually when I am away camping/fly fishing in the middle of the hills and nobody within miles and miles of me.

daz said:
The illegallity doesnt come down to whether it locks or not, it comes down to where you carry it and why. Lock knifes are not illegal, you just cant carry them about on your person, in public, without good reason. Lock knifes are legal, just not to carry about down to the town on a friday night. Stanley knifes ARE illegal to carry on your person without good reason. Have one at work and you're fine, carry it to work in your glovebox and it is illegal, carry it to work in a toolbox however and all is well. AFAIK the only knifes that are completely banned in uk are automatics, ie flick knifes, whether side opening or out the top, and balisong/butterfly knifes. Again, fixed blades are ok as long as you have reaon. I quite often carry a fixed and a locking knife, but it is usually when I am away camping/fly fishing in the middle of the hills and nobody within miles and miles of me.

You are just about spot on Daz apart from,

Butterfly and flick knives are not illegal to own but it is illegal to pass it on to anyone else by any means I.e, sell, gift, bequeath, inherit, import etc.......

As such, if you have a flick knife in the house all is ok, if you don't wish to own it any more then it must be disposed of correctly (hand it in to the local police office)

I regularly carry a lock knife in my pocket at work, I have used it several times cutting seat belts on the A9, to aid extraction of persons post accident.

I have also dispatched numerous Deer after road accidents, hence I have a cheap Bushwear sheath knife in my work bag for this purpose.

I can justify carrying them my line of work.

A carpet fitter carrying a Stanley knife on his/ her belt during working day, or too and from work is fine. That same person calling for a few pints on the way home, not fine. The glove box too and from work, fine.

I work on common sense, as does the courts. The onus is on the person carrying the knife, to justify carrying it. Hence, if reported for the offence, it is not a bad thing, merely someone being asked to justify its possession....

I chose to report someone for carrying a knife in a public house at 11 pm on a Friday night. He was drunk, he had been home and gotwashed and changed before his night out.

He was carrying a knife he used in his line of work (he worked on farm harvesting vegetables). His defence, he used it at work. Result, conviction.

Pretty much common sense...........

As with everything else, common sense SHOULD prevail!

Hairsuite said:
A carpet fitter carrying a Stanley knife on his/ her belt during working day, or too and from work is fine. That same person calling for a few pints on the way home, not fine. The glove box too and from work, fine.

If it is within reach i.e. glove box, door pocket or under the seat it becomes harder to explain. They definitely prefer you to have it in a bag/toolbox/in the boot.

Should perhaps be noted that in Scots Law the list of prohibited bladed weapons may vary from comments made here. A (fairly) recent case given public coverage involved an old age pensioner reported for carrying a 2" bladed knife with a locking mechanism. After waiting for some 18 months the Procurator Fiscal's office agreed not to prosecute whilst making it clear that they regarded this as an offence in terms of Scots law as it stands & were not setting a precedent by authorising a police caution.

For myself, having served as a cop & been stabbed , I still hold my long term belief that the only thing about "common" sense in our legal system is how quite exceptionally uncommon it be.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I thought you might be along sometime Hairsuite. I have had a fascination with sharp things for as long as I can remember (perhaps I shouldn't be telling you things like this after our first meeting) I was caught with my first stilleto bladed flicknife at the age of 12. My folks found it under my pillow and called the local bobby, (remember them?) Sergeant Russell IIRC. He was a rather large man with size 12's and a voice like a drill instructor. I was suitably terrified and never owned another one!

I have always assumed since then that they were completely illegal to own or carry. Not that it matters though, as you have pointed out that they are illegal to pass on to anyone but the police for disposal, which would make it pretty difficult to get hold of one.

daz said:
I thought you might be along sometime Hairsuite. I have had a fascination with sharp things for as long as I can remember (perhaps I shouldn't be telling you things like this after our first meeting) I was caught with my first stilleto bladed flicknife at the age of 12. My folks found it under my pillow and called the local bobby, (remember them?) Sergeant Russell IIRC. He was a rather large man with size 12's and a voice like a drill instructor. I was suitably terrified and never owned another one!

I have always assumed since then that they were completely illegal to own or carry. Not that it matters though, as you have pointed out that they are illegal to pass on to anyone but the police for disposal, which would make it pretty difficult to get hold of one.

Could always legally buy yourself a spring assisted knife to have at home if it's a longing you have. Whilst not a true switchblade as the operating button or switch is not on the handle & the blade doesn't spring throughout its entire opening action a slight pressure on the blade attached toggle or knob will afford a good imitation of the traditional "Flick" movement.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Don't really have a need for one to be honest, and apart from that they always seem to be weaker as there are more parts. Knifes to me are a tool, which is why I have a few different ones for different things. My favourite which I tend to carry whenever fishing/camping is a buck folding alpha hunter, nice strong knife that takes a good edge. If I need something stronger, say for spliting small logs then I take a full tang Bahco wrecking knife, there is no finesse about this thing, it's just really good for hitting the back edge with another log. My other favourite is a cheap as chips and razor sharp Opinel, dead easy to keep sharp and if you loose it they are only a few quid. Only problem with them is that when they get wet they swell and jam shut until dried out.

I do love an opinel. In the pay I have modified them in various ways...cutting ridges in the handle to give a grip and also drilling through the handle to add a string "wrist strap"

Back
Top Bottom