Let's make a razor!

I've said it before, but I'm genuinely impressed by the skill of so many members on this board. This razor looks amazing and I hope you manage to get it exactly to your liking.

Well done so far!

Managed to get some workshop time today and thought you might like to see what I got up to....

The bottom design you've seen before and I couldn't resist having a play with a 'western' style razor too

Carbon steel. Manufactured in Britain (not sure what that really means)

Here the outlines are scribed onto the steel. I then cut them out with an angle grinder and tidy up on the belt grinder

Seem to be having trouble getting these pics up. Maybe I went a bit overboard!

Here is the first one rough ground and ready for heat treatment

Got the balance point sorted now

Grinding looks excellent Mike. With the Western - is the pivot hole a bit close? You don't want too much overhang otherwise stropping becomes a bit of a problem. You also need to make sure theres enough space to get a couple of fingers in front of the scales but still in line with the thumb notch.

Agree100% with the need to consider maintain acne Before a razor is completed. I have a number of razors that look great but are the devil to maintain.

Beauthyful knives on your blog, I would be interested in buying a straight to. I'll keep an eye out for the final product.

Lovely to see such beauthyful bespoke art

Johnus said:
Agree100% with the need to consider maintain acne Before a razor is completed. I have a number of razors that look great but are the devil to maintain.

Totally agree. It's got to be form following function.

... or the odd kitchen knife here or there.

I'm still mulling over exactly what I want, but it'll be 9", probably cork handled and balanced at the back of the blade. I'm still dropping between western and eastern for the shape. I'll be in touch when I've figured it out.

Good progress with the razors. The last couple of pictures makes it feel like its so close ...

Back
Top Bottom