Lidl 19 year old Islay

I only saw one comment on the article in the Daily Record linked in post 1 which was less encouraging. He said the 19yo Ben Bracken was not typical Islay and the "standard" Ben Bracken at £18 was better. However it is one random guy on the Internet and not even a whisky forum so who knows what kind of an expert he is? Key takeaway is that there's more than one variety of Ben Bracken.

Reactions: PHR
Been having a look about online, a whisky forum I popped onto made a few comments about it, a few people think it could very possibly be Bowmore. £39.99 for a 19 year old Bowmore seems a good deal.
Could I please ask - Which forum did you pop over to? Always keen to learn a little more.

From what I can gather it's not natural colour and chill filtered. I'd rather there wasn't added colour but the non chill filtered thing gets lost on me, I don't think I could tell the difference :)
I'm also not sure if I can always taste the difference, but the only reason to chill- filter whisky is to stop it going cloudy when water or ice is added: it's for aesthetic reasons only, not to remove any undesirable elements. So for me, leave all the esters, proteins, fats etc. in it. It will either taste/smell exactly the same or possibly better!
Also if the spirit is > 46% ABV then the cloudiness doesn't happen, so it's a pointless exercise for these whiskies.

Back
Top Bottom