Life change.. a trip around Europe

FrenchBlade said:
[ Bon voy ahh gee Max (said in my best B Bunny voice)

Well, the thing is, a recumbent bike is just a lot more efficient than a normal bike, and I might do the whole camping in fields, shaving in the river and stuff, but when you travel, travel in style.

Plus I bet there must be some kinda adapter that would turn that platform into a tent. Yep, a collapsible tent pole or two and some fabric and done deal.

Actually, if I was gonna pick a bike to ride I would look at a recumbent of some kind.

Martin

Oh, back in the early 70s when I was kicking around Europe, a very popular book was called The Drifters by James Michener. Yeah, we were all reading it and passing it around.

[/quote]

"Life as a set of chapters ..." absolutely right. Push yourself out there and see what happens. What you're doing is really great and I am sure that you will reap so many person benefits from doing this and reach out to so many people, changing their lives also.

Your stuff - it's just stuff. Next time you stop, you can always buy more. I guess you're keeping and will carry only what is truly useful to you - the rest is just an open mind, open eyes and all the experience you can soak up.

Phenomenal! Have the time of your life ... or at least this chapter of it.

Man, I could never even dream of doing what you're doing but I don't mean that as criticism. Not in the slightest. In fact, quite the opposite as compared to your mindset, I am clearly 'sin cojones'. I sincerely hope you achieve everything you set to and enjoy the hell out of it along the way. Grab life and go, sir!

Sounds great Max, I am sure you will love it. Start a blog and keep us updated when you find an internet cafe.

Gairdner said:
Man, I could never even dream of doing what you're doing but I don't mean that as criticism. Not in the slightest. In fact, quite the opposite as compared to your mindset, I am clearly 'sin cojones'. I sincerely hope you achieve everything you set to and enjoy the hell out of it along the way. Grab life and go, sir!
I think we all have a different mindset, you start talking "permanent contract", "Mortgage", "long term relationship" and see how fast I get the hell out of dodge! (not a joke!)

My life path has been very rocky, as I've said in the original post, but to add to that, I've had some very close calls with death, which means everything in life becomes relative, one day you'll die.
So until that faithful day, grab those cojones and live, you could get hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow.

My main problem is that I'm often overconfident (in certain areas), fear is something, like death, that I take for granted. I can bungee jump without hesitation. (even my first time), ride roller-coasters like I ride the tube. I don't get that "rush". (and I worked with too many junkies to try drugs!)

So yeah, maybe throwing myself into the deep-end is just trying to get a rush out of life, maybe I'll get hit by a bus on the way to Prague, but the same can happen 100ft from my house, so it might as well be Prague.

I've only ever met one person with a similar mindset, and she as a women in her early 40s has been travelling solo through the whole of South America for the last 6 years. (including Colombia, Mexico, Brazil etc..).
Her path in life resembles mine, lots of close calls with death, has worked on as barmaid, ship crew, hotel chain management and pharmaceutical companies.
She chucked it all 6 years ago, and has no intention of ever coming back.

As the Chinese saying goes "May you live in interesting times!"

I hope you have a great time and move on to another adventure when it's over. I spent a bit a while living in Poland and I'm really glad I did it, I even got to meet some long lost relatives. I've got an interview for a job in London on Monday and if I get I'll have to get rid of a load of stuff and start all over again.

Back
Top Bottom