Lifespan of a brush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again folks,

Shaving brushes are as much part of this hobby to me as shaving itself and so this question popped into my head a few minutes ago.

I'm interested to know if brushes have a long life and should they, for example, outlast the user? I remember someone saying that it helped to allow the brush to dry between uses but is there anything else can be done to help?

Although I was planning to buy a second-hand Simpsons Eagle in Best grade hair, I have half-changed my mind as the appeal of Simpsons is ironically being driven away from me by the constant sickening preaching and preaching of a mouthpiece all over the forums commenting on their brushes and ridiculing everyone who isn't doing precisely what he says as the bible of Simpsons behaviour ( :roll: ) Anyway, at the moment, all my brushes are still Simpsons in super badger - in both two and three band. Would there be any reason for a difference in life between the pure, best and super grades? And would different companies have a longer lasting brush than others?

Cheers,

Mark

What? You mean you don't doth your cap before Sir Gary Young of Simpson?

Here, join the stampede...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://garyyoung.blog.co.uk/">http://garyyoung.blog.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

As for life span I don't see why that should differ significantly between hair grades or indeed between quality brands but it is certainly a good habit to allow each brush to dry thoroughly before each use. Hair that is continually damp will only promote mould growth and become weaker and it's also a good idea to remove soap residue by cleaning with detergent and or soaking in a part vinegar solution now and then.

I have no idea why you would condition the badger hair and then give it a vinegar soak but there you go.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm">http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm</a><!-- m -->

Lee Sabini formerly of RA Rooney who does actually make brushes told me to realistically expect a brush to last 2 to 3 years with constant use, if you have several brushes in rotation obviously expect to extend that by a multiple thereof.

Check the TSR brush thread that might be of interest to you.

Cheers,

Was my brush reference difficult to figure out :lol:

Thanks for the advice about brush life, antdad. I use mine once a week or maybe a day or two longer so they'll last me a long time. It's good to hear they should all have the same wear too. I've a notion of trying a couple of Best grade brushes later.

Cheers again for the advice,

Mark

Roefisher said:
Cheers,
If he, or I, want to hang our brushes on a stand, we bloody well will, you twit - who the hell gave you the authority or bloody gall to query it.
Mark

Does this mean there's some debate about how to store a brush? I'd be interested to know :geek:

Roger

I am not aware that there is a definitive answer on this one.

I don't use a stand because I just didn't get around to buying one, and nor will I, but really it's personal preference.

I have read the thread on the American site, as alluded to by Mark, and I find one or two of the opinions unecessarily dogmatic.

This is meant as an enjoyable pastime; do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Roefisher said:
Cheers,

Was my brush reference difficult to figure out :lol:

Apart from the fact that he's living in cloud cuckoo land and unable or unwilling to tell the difference between the past and present, his tone and arrogance about shaving brushes and being the final word on everything in general has really unnerved me. I am sick reading his never-ending opinionated garbage. Although the man has a history of jumping into threads where it's obviously none of his business, an example of his snootiness happened only yesterday when a fella asked about a stand for his Chubby 2 brush. He didn't ask for an in depth synopsis about why it was such a horrific crime from Sir Gary, he only wanted to know where he could get a bloomin' stand to fit it. If he, or I, want to hang our brushes on a stand, we bloody well will, you twit - who the hell gave you the authority or bloody gall to query it?

Ten deep breathes before I move on from that fool.

Thanks for the advice about brush life, antdad. I use mine once a week or maybe a day or two longer so they'll last me a long time. It's good to hear they should all have the same wear too. I've a notion of trying a couple of Best grade brushes later.

Cheers again for the advice,

Mark

Nice personal name calling on this forum again...

merkator said:
Does this mean there's some debate about how to store a brush? I'd be interested to know :geek:

Roger

David has put it exactly as I would above, only worded much better!

From reading as much as I could about brushes and stands I would say there is no right or wrong answer as there doesn't appear to be any no dangers either way. It's all looks and your own idea of what's attractive.

What grated me was being told off like a naughty child (along with nearly everyone else who dares to post) that I was wrong as Simpsons don't need stands and blah, blah, blah, blah..... post after post of his soap-box divine guidance and blah, blah, blah, blah.....

To echo David again, it's an enjoyable pastime and I do whatever I think is nice and gives me some pleasure. Going off the rails and creating a scene whenever anything happens which wasn't written in the 'Ten Commandments of shaving according to the Simpsons' isn't going to do the company any favours. That's a pity as I do like using their brushes and, while I can't vouch for anyone else, this ongoing one man crusade is putting me off them. Anyway, I'm done with worrying about it now that I have it off my chest.

Back on topic -

If I have remembered correctly, the basics are that you should allow the brush to dry between uses, all bristle grade will have a similar lifespan and you should get years out of a brush with care :lol:

Cheers,

Mark

Don't worry about it, you'd think that brushes were difficult to make the way some folks go on and on and on about it.

Get correct amount of badger hair, place in cannon (mould), tamp it (or use a machine to do so), tie it off and glue it in a plastic handle that has been turned and polished. Et voila, just add some marketing and historical bull and sell to Americans. I'm not saying there isn't any skill involved but lets not go overboard, its a plastic handle with some fur stuck in it.

Anyway try a double sided suction cup then you can stick a brush any where you so choose ;)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-4-pk-x-20mm-Double-Sided-Suction-Cups-Pad-Sucker-/320441355184?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4a9bcb0bb0#ht_2479wt_906">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-4-pk-x-20mm-D ... 2479wt_906</a><!-- m -->

That is the simplest and most genius item I've seen for my brushes :arrow: :?: :idea: :!: Thanks!

I like the idea of taking great care with my small, but soon to be growing collection of brushes and I just wanted to hear about the merits of hang upside down and let the moisture fall away from the glue in the base, or just dry and air the bristles sufficiently to warrant any sensible storage stance :cool: .

Thanks guys!

antdad said:
I think most users adopt a similar routine, a gentle squeeze, a shake and a couple of wipes on a towel. ;)

Snap!

I only altered my routine a little after reading some advice. I used to wash out and shelf my shaving mug / bowl then clean the brush under the tap before squeezing it lightly and giving it a couple of runs over the towel. All I do different now is that I keep the mug / bowl out and after cleaning the brush under the tap, I now give it a couple of dunks and swirls around in the mug / bowl filled and running over with fresh water to help remove the lather even better. It's surprising how much is still in there and this extra step definitely helps :p

Mark

Roefisher said:
merkator said:

Roger

David has put it exactly as I would above, only worded much better!

From reading as much as I could about brushes and stands I would say there is no right or wrong answer as there doesn't appear to be any no dangers either way. It's all looks and your own idea of what's attractive.

What grated me was being told off like a naughty child (along with nearly everyone else who dares to post) that I was wrong as Simpsons don't need stands and blah, blah, blah, blah..... post after post of his soap-box divine guidance and blah, blah, blah, blah.....

To echo David again, it's an enjoyable pastime and I do whatever I think is nice and gives me some pleasure. Going off the rails and creating a scene whenever anything happens which wasn't written in the 'Ten Commandments of shaving according to the Simpsons' isn't going to do the company any favours. That's a pity as I do like using their brushes and, while I can't vouch for anyone else, this ongoing one man crusade is putting me off them. Anyway, I'm done with worrying about it now that I have it off my chest.

Back on topic -

If I have remembered correctly, the basics are that you should allow the brush to dry between uses, all bristle grade will have a similar lifespan and you should get years out of a brush with care :lol:

Cheers,

Mark

I would not class my son as being the 'crusading type'! He has a passion for Simpson as do all the rest of the family which I hope is understandable.
Gary is not the confrontational type either, especially in this world of faceless comment. His love of Simpson was nurtured over many years spent with his grandfather at our old mill where he learnt a great deal from one of the most passionate brush makers I have known (apart from Alex himself).

I hope and trust that I will not be party to the same remarks as seen on this thread.

Jim

I have no ego to bruise regarding advice from posters here; I'm keen to hear all views and experiences regarding best practise for technique and storage; after all, better to find out from people who actually use the equipment than marketing from companies that might not even know much of the product they sell.

Warm regards to all in this matter.

merkator said:
I have no ego to bruise regarding advice from posters here; I'm keen to hear all views and experiences regarding best practise for technique and storage; after all, better to find out from people who actually use the equipment than marketing from companies that might not even know much of the product they sell.

The family members of the Simpson family have no financial connection or current interest in the Simpson brand, therefore we are not 'marketing', as you put it, the brand. Our connections reaches back to the original source so there is a strong bond to the name that would take a lot of breaking. As a 75 year old regular shaver who has used shaving brushes for nearly 60 years and made Simpson brushes for over 40 of those years and managed the business for 25 years I would hope you would agree I have a meaty enough 'cv' to justify making educated comments and opinions. Regarding my son not knowing much about the product, if that is what you are eluding to, he has gained first hand knowledge from me and his grandfather - so I would trust you consider that his 'education' is well founded also. No egos are or have been brusied but personal slating, as read on here, is not something I would class as useful, constructive or adult.

Jim

JYoung said:
merkator said:

The family members of the Simpson family have no financial connection or current interest in the Simpson brand, therefore we are not 'marketing', as you put it, the brand. Our connections reaches back to the original source so there is a strong bond to the name that would take a lot of breaking. As a 75 year old regular shaver who has used shaving brushes for nearly 60 years and made Simpson brushes for over 40 of those years and managed the business for 25 years I would hope you would agree I have a meaty enough 'cv' to justify making educated comments and opinions. Regarding my son not knowing much about the product, if that is what you are eluding to, he has gained first hand knowledge from me and his grandfather - so I would trust you consider that his 'education' is well founded also. No egos are or have been brusied but personal slating, as read on here, is not something I would class as useful, constructive or adult.

Jim

jim his post just means that he would rather hear advice from any person on this forum no matter who they are than a marketing company ie the adverts and tutorials that are found on sites that sell the products, this is no slight against you or anyone else, The comments made about your son are not a personal attack on him, they are peoples opinions and people have they right to have they opinions whether they be right or wrong, does not matter. They should not be seen as a personal attack. The OP in the start was commenting on the fact he participating on a thread elsewhere and he felt attacked by your son cause he was asking where you would get a stand for a chubby 2, to be told you dont need a stand for simpsons brushes dont be so stupid(basically). I use stands not cause I belive it alters or improves the span of the brush but cause it solves a storage issue for me. So why should I be told if I ask where to buy a stand for a brush I dont need one by anyone, as that was not the question I asked as the person answering does not now my reasons for wanting one, that to me is arrogant and insulting to me .

antdad said:
brushes. I'm not saying there isn't any skill involved but lets not go overboard, its a plastic handle with some fur stuck in it.
With earthquakes in the Pacific, revolutions in the Middle East and the economy tottering at home it is reassuring to know that one can always rely to Tony for a level headed reality-check.
My compliments Sir, and not for the first time! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom