Living with vintage DE razors

A little while ago I went to a steam rally in dartford, and there was some buses in atendence, so I had a look at them. One of them was a Routemaster, and a famous one at that, the RM8.

This bus was the first Routemaster made, In 1958 and kept to experment on and, only carred passengers for just 9 years, and now is loved and cherished by the RM8 Club, and rightly so to. Sorry I came over all busy then ( letting my self slip)

So when I was on the top deck I got chatting to the Members of the club about buses, and vintage razors and they remember the razors verry well, and sparked some memorys of them, but whilst chatting they locked me in, and the wife and kids out, so with the extra time we chatted some more as you do, it turns out that we have some common ground, we are preserving the past, but still using it,and trying to attract the next genration to carry on with what we started.

This is going to be a on going post, hopefully the aim is to help people get into vintage DE razors, so lets dive in shall we!!!

So you've been shaving with a DE razor for a while and it's a new razor ,hopefully you are enjoying your shaving with it, but you fancy getting into the vintage razors that people rave on about, but you don't know where to start, there are two main types of DE razors to plumb for: The Twist To Open and the three piece razor.

But first safty, getting a used razor can be dangerous, god knows who has used it,and what's living on it, so it's time to disinfect, now it's Your responsibility to do this,if you get a razor and they say it's shave ready and disinfected ,just to be on the safe side put on some latex disposable gloves ,and get some barbicide and disinfect it again so your sure it's clean.

I even use boilling water after just to make sure.NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! ok so deciding on the type of razor's and model, and year, use the Internet, ask questions, get advice,get as Much info as possible about the razor you are intrested in, before you start shopping for one.

So now you've done all the thinking about the vintage DE razor and have narrowed it down to a few ones that you are happy with, so now it's time to go shopping for it.....

Finding a good vintage razor ,will take time, so you are going to be patient about this arn't you ? if you don't like the idear of eBay then a razor shop dealing with new and used razors is a good place to start,but you will pay more money for it .

you can buy some good quality vintage razors,at a good price, but you will have to work for it , read the description carfuly, if you don't like the look of something WALK AWAY and that goes for eBay as well, you want lot's of pictures and info on the lot you are looking at, if the blade gap looks uneven ,or something is broken or the term "I don't know any thing about razors" is used then beware, the chances are it's a dud.

Rember vintage razors mean money right now ,so they could try to rip you off, take your time, and think, don't rush into buying the razor,rember you want to shave with it. When you get the razor rember to treat it with respect ,it's old and needs tender loving care, next up after disinfection, cleaning and polishing your razor....

John said:
A little while ago I went to a steam rally in dartford, and there was some buses in atendence, so I had a look at them. One of them was a Routemaster, and a famous one at that, the RM8. This bus was the first Routemaster made, In 1958 and kept to experment on and, only carred passengers for just 9 years, and now is loved and cherished by the RM8 Club, and rightly so to. Sorry I came over all busy then ( letting my self slip) So when I was on the top deck I got chatting to the Members of the club about buses, and vintage razors and they remember the razors verry well, and sparked some memorys of them, but whilst chatting they locked me in, and the wife and kids out, so with the extra time we chatted some more as you do, it turns out that we have some common ground, we are preserving the past, but still using it,and trying to attract the next genration to carry on with what we started.
This is going to be a on going post, hopefully the aim is to help people get into vintage DE razors, so lets dive in shall we!!!
So you've been shaving with a DE razor for a while and it's a new razor ,hopefully you are enjoying your shaving with it, but you fancy getting into the vintage razors that people rave on about, but you don't know where to start, there are two main types of DE razors to plumb for: The Twist To Open and the three piece razor. But first safty, getting a used razor can be dangerous, god knows who has used it,and what's living on it, so it's time to disinfect, now it's Your responsibility to do this,if you get a razor and they say it's shave ready and disinfected ,just to be on the safe side put on some latex disposable gloves ,and get some barbicide and disinfect it again so your sure it's clean ok, I even use boilling water after just to make sure.NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! ok so deciding on the type of razor's and model, and year, use the Internet, ask questions, get advice,get as Much info as possible about the razor you are intrested in, before you start shopping for one. So now you've done all the thinking about the vintage DE razor and have narrowed it down to a few ones that you are happy with, so now it's time to go shopping for it.....
Finding a good vintage razor ,will take time, so you are going to be patient about this arn't you ? if you don't like the idear of eBay then a razor shop dealing with new and used razors is a good place to start,but you will pay more money for it ,you can buy some good quality vintage razors,at a good price, but you will have to work for it , read the description carfuly, if you don't like the look of something WALK AWAY and that goes for eBay as well, you want lot's of pictures and info on the lot you are looking at, if the blade gap looks uneven ,or something is broken or the term "I don't know any thing about razors" is used then beware, the chances are it's a dud, rember vintage razors mean money right now ,so they could try to rip you off, take your time, and think, don't rush into buying the razor,rember you want to shave with it. When you get the razor rember to treat it with respect ,it's old and needs tender loving care, next up after disinfection cleaning and polishing your razor....

John, you really need to work on how you present your texts, the only thing I could read was: NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

Mikael said:
John said:
A little while ago I went to a steam rally in dartford, and there was some buses in atendence, so I had a look at them. One of them was a Routemaster, and a famous one at that, the RM8. This bus was the first Routemaster made, In 1958 and kept to experment on and, only carred passengers for just 9 years, and now is loved and cherished by the RM8 Club, and rightly so to. Sorry I came over all busy then ( letting my self slip) So when I was on the top deck I got chatting to the Members of the club about buses, and vintage razors and they remember the razors verry well, and sparked some memorys of them, but whilst chatting they locked me in, and the wife and kids out, so with the extra time we chatted some more as you do, it turns out that we have some common ground, we are preserving the past, but still using it,and trying to attract the next genration to carry on with what we started.
So you've been shaving with a DE razor for a while and it's a new razor ,hopefully you are enjoying your shaving with it, but you fancy getting into the vintage razors that people rave on about, but you don't know where to start, there are two main types of DE razors to plumb for: The Twist To Open and the three piece razor. But first safty, getting a used razor can be dangerous, god knows who has used it,and what's living on it, so it's time to disinfect, now it's Your responsibility to do this,if you get a razor and they say it's shave ready and disinfected ,just to be on the safe side put on some latex disposable gloves ,and get some barbicide and disinfect it again so your sure it's clean ok, I even use boilling water after just to make sure.NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! ok so deciding on the type of razor's and model, and year, use the Internet, ask questions, get advice,get as Much info as possible about the razor you are intrested in, before you start shopping for one. So now you've done all the thinking about the vintage DE razor and have narrowed it down to a few ones that you are happy with, so now it's time to go shopping for it.....
Finding a good vintage razor ,will take time, so you are going to be patient about this arn't you ? if you don't like the idear of eBay then a razor shop dealing with new and used razors is a good place to start,but you will pay more money for it ,you can buy some good quality vintage razors,at a good price, but you will have to work for it , read the description carfuly, if you don't like the look of something WALK AWAY and that goes for eBay as well, you want lot's of pictures and info on the lot you are looking at, if the blade gap looks uneven ,or something is broken or the term "I don't know any thing about razors" is used then beware, the chances are it's a dud, rember vintage razors mean money right now ,so they could try to rip you off, take your time, and think, don't rush into buying the razor,rember you want to shave with it. When you get the razor rember to treat it with respect ,it's old and needs tender loving care, next up after disinfection cleaning and polishing your razor....

John, you really need to work on how you present your texts, the only thing I could read was: NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I ment kill the germs ,not go around killing every thing you see with a machine gun, or some other nasty weapon of mass distraction :angel:

Maybe like this:

John said:
A little while ago I went to a steam rally in dartford, and there was some buses in atendence, so I had a look at them. One of them was a Routemaster, and a famous one at that, the RM8. This bus was the first Routemaster made, In 1958 and kept to experment on and, only carred passengers for just 9 years, and now is loved and cherished by the RM8 Club, and rightly so to.

Sorry I came over all busy then ( letting my self slip) So when I was on the top deck I got chatting to the Members of the club about buses, and vintage razors and they remember the razors verry well, and sparked some memorys of them, but whilst chatting they locked me in, and the wife and kids out, so with the extra time we chatted some more as you do, it turns out that we have some common ground, we are preserving the past, but still using it,and trying to attract the next generation to carry on with what we started.

So you've been shaving with a DE razor for a while and it's a new razor ,hopefully you are enjoying your shaving with it, but you fancy getting into the vintage razors that people rave on about, but you don't know where to start, there are two main types of DE razors to plumb for: The Twist To Open and the three piece razor. But first safety, getting a used razor can be dangerous, god knows who has used it,and what's living on it, so it's time to disinfect, now it's Your responsibility to do this,if you get a razor and they say it's shave ready and disinfected ,just to be on the safe side put on some latex disposable gloves ,and get some barbicide and disinfect it again so your sure it's clean ok, I even use boilling water after just to make sure. NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

ok so deciding on the type of razor's and model, and year, use the Internet, ask questions, get advice,get as Much info as possible about the razor you are intrested in, before you start shopping for one. So now you've done all the thinking about the vintage DE razor and have narrowed it down to a few ones that you are happy with, so now it's time to go shopping for it.....

Finding a good vintage razor ,will take time, so you are going to be patient about this arn't you ? if you don't like the idear of eBay then a razor shop dealing with new and used razors is a good place to start,but you will pay more money for it ,you can buy some good quality vintage razors,at a good price, but you will have to work for it , read the description carfuly, if you don't like the look of something WALK AWAY and that goes for eBay as well, you want lot's of pictures and info on the lot you are looking at, if the blade gap looks uneven ,or something is broken or the term "I don't know any thing about razors" is used then beware, the chances are it's a dud.

Remember vintage razors mean money right now ,so they could try to rip you off, take your time, and think, don't rush into buying the razor,rember you want to shave with it. When you get the razor rember to treat it with respect ,it's old and needs tender loving care, next up after disinfection cleaning and polishing your razor....

Mikael said:
Maybe like this:

John said:
A little while ago I went to a steam rally in dartford, and there was some buses in atendence, so I had a look at them. One of them was a Routemaster, and a famous one at that, the RM8. This bus was the first Routemaster made, In 1958 and kept to experment on and, only carred passengers for just 9 years, and now is loved and cherished by the RM8 Club, and rightly so to.

Sorry I came over all busy then ( letting my self slip) So when I was on the top deck I got chatting to the Members of the club about buses, and vintage razors and they remember the razors verry well, and sparked some memorys of them, but whilst chatting they locked me in, and the wife and kids out, so with the extra time we chatted some more as you do, it turns out that we have some common ground, we are preserving the past, but still using it,and trying to attract the next generation to carry on with what we started.

So you've been shaving with a DE razor for a while and it's a new razor ,hopefully you are enjoying your shaving with it, but you fancy getting into the vintage razors that people rave on about, but you don't know where to start, there are two main types of DE razors to plumb for: The Twist To Open and the three piece razor. But first safety, getting a used razor can be dangerous, god knows who has used it,and what's living on it, so it's time to disinfect, now it's Your responsibility to do this,if you get a razor and they say it's shave ready and disinfected ,just to be on the safe side put on some latex disposable gloves ,and get some barbicide and disinfect it again so your sure it's clean ok, I even use boilling water after just to make sure. NO MERCY FOR ANY THING KILL,KILL,KIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

ok so deciding on the type of razor's and model, and year, use the Internet, ask questions, get advice,get as Much info as possible about the razor you are intrested in, before you start shopping for one. So now you've done all the thinking about the vintage DE razor and have narrowed it down to a few ones that you are happy with, so now it's time to go shopping for it.....

Finding a good vintage razor ,will take time, so you are going to be patient about this arn't you ? if you don't like the idear of eBay then a razor shop dealing with new and used razors is a good place to start,but you will pay more money for it ,you can buy some good quality vintage razors,at a good price, but you will have to work for it , read the description carfuly, if you don't like the look of something WALK AWAY and that goes for eBay as well, you want lot's of pictures and info on the lot you are looking at, if the blade gap looks uneven ,or something is broken or the term "I don't know any thing about razors" is used then beware, the chances are it's a dud.

Remember vintage razors mean money right now ,so they could try to rip you off, take your time, and think, don't rush into buying the razor,rember you want to shave with it. When you get the razor rember to treat it with respect ,it's old and needs tender loving care, next up after disinfection cleaning and polishing your razor....
Hi I don't know if your computer and my apple iPad hate each other but I don't have a coulour changing function with iPad, this has happend before,when ever I use the CAPS LOCK I get a nasty reply with the typing in red but I haven't used red HAS THIS APPEARD IN RED? If so I will not use the cap lock in future

I think what Mikael is saying is split the post into Paragraphs instead of one long block of text as it makes it easier to read.

the only bit which stood out on your first post in the block of text was the parts in Block Capitals.

Maybe typing it on an Ipad has laid it out differently before posting so you don't see it like it is on a PC Screen.

Steve :icon_razz:

Sunburyboy93 said:
I think what Mikael is saying is split the post into Paragraphs instead of one long block of text as it makes it easier to read.

the only bit which stood out on your first post in the block of text were the parts in Block Capitals.

Maybe typing it on an Ipad has laid it out differently before posting so you don't see it like it is on a PC Screen.

Steve :icon_razz:
Ok that makes sence sorry about that, the ipad has made me a sloppy typest, sorry :blush::blush:

Before I start with cleaning and polishing stage, I will also point out the difrent grades of razors, and this goes for every thing colectbale from razors, to model steam trains.

User grade/shaver grade, its just a few scrapes and dings but mechanically sound, and make sure it is.

Collecter grade/ mint. Not to be shaved with, ever, you will de value it. It belongs in a glass display case, with a super computer watching every thing (Hal 9000 style)

Now for the cleaning bit, Some razors will be easer to clean than others, and it depends on how obsessive you are about this, personally I keep my razors clean but not polished just clean and free of shaving crud, but the mint razors we will leave well alone and leave to some one else to do.

Crud, Gunk, Mess, what ever you like to call it, it's Got to be got rid of.

TTO razors are well known to store shaving crud in the handle and its mostly dryed shaving soap, limescale, dryed blood, skin sells ( I think you can see why you need to dissinfect the razor first now ) and it's got to go.

Leaving it to soak in boiling water with a hand soap mixture will help soffen it, ( I used this method with my black powder revolver) It's ok but you will burn your fingers, fishing the razor out so be verry carefull. open and close the TTO to help brake off the crud, and keep washing out the handle The TTO should open smothly and lock down tightly, and the blade gap even on both sides

Rember how old the razor is, this could be the first time it's ever had this TLC . A tooth brush will help remove crud, get in all the edges corners untill its spotless. for slims and fatboys they have a adusting plate under the head so a pipe cleaner will get in the gap.

three peice razors sutch as techs are easy to clean, since you can get to all the parts indervidually.
The only problem I had was the handle, but a pipe cleaner and hot water does the job.
Next up polishing.........

Sunburyboy93 said:
Cheers for the info John,

One of our Members Max (FrenchBlade) posted a Guide similar about a year ago:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-9165.html?highlight=cleaning

Worth a read as well as lots of info there

Steve

Thats better wording than the way I put it, the more info the better on this subject ,as far as I am concerned as it helps keep the info fresh,rather forgotten.
You never know it could spark off a intrest in the vintage razors by some one new.

John said:
Sunburyboy93 said:
Cheers for the info John,

One of our Members Max (FrenchBlade) posted a Guide similar about a year ago:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-9165.html?highlight=cleaning

Worth a read as well as lots of info there

Steve

Thats better wording than the way I put it, the more info the better on this subject ,as far as I am concerned as it helps keep the info fresh,rather forgotten.
You never know it could spark off a intrest in the vintage razors by some one new.

Exactly, totally agree, the more people than get into it and can stop these treasures being thrown away the better.....

Great stuff

chrisbell said:
Makes you think - joking about RAD and gannets aside, given how many members hereabouts use vintage DEs, we've saved a fair few pieces of history.

I know,I have saved 11 gillette's from doom and had to burn my fingers with hot water with each one of them and will continue to save them and use them, and then pass them to the kids so they can look after them.
If they don't look after them?
Well put it this way, when they visit my grave,I will reach out and give the old scrote sack a good hard squeeze untill I hear a pop!

Went to my local Barber/Beautician Store this week and found a Product that may be of interest. It's another profession Disinfectant that's as approved in the US for commercial hair establishments as a disinfectant for hair cutting and grooming equipment -- but is only a fraction of the cost of Barbicide ! Even the same color! Hydrox's HYDROCIDE. Using it now. Seems the same, love it when all those little Germs scream out together!

Johnus said:
Went to my local Barber/Beautician Store this week and found a Product that may be of interest. It's another profession Disinfectant that's as approved in the US for commercial hair establishments as a disinfectant for hair cutting and grooming equipment -- but is only a fraction of the cost of Barbicide ! Even the same color! Hydrox's HYDROCIDE. Using it now. Seems the same, love it when all those little Germs scream out together!

I wonder when we can buy it, barbicide is very expensive and tricky to obtain.
I ordered the large bottle some time ago and the nice customs man delayed my delivery, I wounder what he was doing with it? Drinking it possibly.

Back
Top Bottom