Longevity of shave creams and using a brush to get the cream out.

Hi Guys, this may be an odd question but do any of you go straight to the tub with a brush either moistened or not and if moistened does this have an effect on the creams longevity?

I have always used a spoon to scoop it out but my son has used a brush directly in to the cream. I have seen this question posed on other shave forums but not directly answered as far as I can see.

Cheers

Squidge

As for Longevity, I'm not sure maybe someone else can come in to answer
As for application I use my finger to scoop out an almond sized amount
Plop on face at various points then take the wet brush to it
To be honest there's no right and wrong
Some place it on the brush, some put the brush in the tub to load
Whatever works for you

Longevity of a cream? How many others do you have? How thick do you like your lather?

I find mine last until they run out and then I buy another if I like it enough - I always like it enough, which is why my cupboard is part filled with 'the next tub' - mainly Xpec old.

It has never occurred to me other than to load my brush from the tub - except for creams that turn out to be brushless and these I throw away, having failed to give them away here.

Squidge said:
Hi Guys, this may be an odd question but do any of you go straight to the tub with a brush either moistened or not and if moistened does this have an effect on the creams longevity?

I have always used a spoon to scoop it out but my son has used a brush directly in to the cream.

Cheers

Squidge

Hi there,

Good question with fans of both methods chiming in. I will answer in a somewhat facetious way, so keep that in mind. I find humor helps to soften the dumbness.

So personally I prefer loading cream right from the tub.To me that technique has more going on than just using a spoon instead. I will offer a few examples.

First and foremost, tub loading provides the most inexact repeatable measurement, which everyone looks for. No telling exactly how much product is actually loaded because of variables like different brushes and how wet and knot size and who knows what else. Kind of exciting. Plus, you also probably leave some extra moisture or other weirdness in the tub when you're done! Jackpot!

Why anyone would ever want an exact and quick way to figure that tough but important part out is beyond me. I mean using a spoon for gosh sakes? Where's the challenge in that? I want to make things as diffficult and variable filled as possible, and tub loading is the way to go. Lather making is for me the toughest part to get right every day and I obviously wanna have that happen not very often. Heh, there's a bunch of others who seem to agree with me nodding along approvingly.

When I squirt some cream from a tube it's just so boring and easy and predictable. Who needs that?

Martin

If I'm using a tube, I can squeeze out roughly 2cm each time. I've had a Proraso green tube for nearly a year now, but I did have other creams in rotation. A tub is slightly harder to get the same amount but I aim for a fingernail size, never use a brush and I still manage to get good shaves!

If I'm using a tube I'll squeeze a blob directly into the knot of a previously soaked brush or if from a tub, scoop out the required amount and do the same. I then face lather. Putting a wet brush directly into a pot will just create a mess as you will leave a small quantity of water behind each time you use it.

Taffy

I always Bowl Lather whether its a cream or a soap....I always heat the bowl in hot water...I very rarely add any water whosoever on to any cream or soap after soaking my brush....I add about a Tea Spoonful of Moroccan Argan Oil and that works for me consistently every time regardless of cream or soap....Moroccan Argan Oil is a very fine and thin.....Never misses the mark.....o_O

Billy

Back
Top Bottom