Looking for a run down on decent modern SE blades

Greetings

The man from Norfolk with the seller name of Richardg2202 on e-bay I would first like to point out is not me. I sent him an e-mail a couple of weeks ago asking him for more details on the GEM Blue Star blades with the knowledge that what he was selling could not possibly be Gem Blue Star Blades, he sent me a long rambling reply saying that he was sure they were.

He claims to be selling loose Blue Stars from a bulk 100 box/tray, GEM do not and have never made Blue Star blades in a bulk 100 tray, they are only made and packed in packets of five with shelling paper on each blade and in plastic dispensers of 10 in each case the blades are on a cardboard backing for hanging on a shop display , they are packed in an outer brown cardboard box containing 120 blades. What these blades are are Personna / GEM 3 faceted carbon steel blades, they are not made for shaving and are awful to shave with.

There is no supplier in Great Britain selling any shaving quality carbon SE blades, these have to be obtained from the USA either via e bay or Amazon or a personal contact.

This seller is also selling PAL blued carbon blades from a 100 tray, exactly the same applies with these blades, the blades in the bulk trays are not the same blades as the ones in the packets of five and plastic dispensers of ten, the bottom line with all ASR/Personna/GEM carbon shaving blades are that to be shaving blades they have to be marked Super!

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/agar-scientific-carbon-blades.31478/

Regards
Dick.

Slightly off topic but related, I have been asked for my opinion privately on the Personna pathology blades for Durham Duplex that have been spotted on eBay. I have to say I remain sceptical about them as the pathology blades that I have are wrapped in sleeves that have a slightly different Personna logo to the regular dog dresser type blades:

DSC09568.JPG

Left: Pathology
Right: Dog Dresser

My pathology blades were imported from the US and came in a plastic sealed box and the really keen-eyed among you will be able to see the difference in the grind of the edge.

I'm not saying they're definitely not but with comparison to the ones on eBay, you should be able to draw your own conclusions.

Greetings

Spines from any standard SE blades can be fitted very easily to feather Stainless SE blades it takes about ten seconds.

The three SE razors that they will never fit are the three Micromatics as these razors have the little protrusions on the side of the blade tray to marry up with the cutouts on GEM SE blades.

The case with all other ASR,GEM/Ever Ready/Star/ razors is that they may or may not fit, you really have to try them, feather blades with a fitted spine are indeed indeed about one and a half millimetres deeper. I have found that most USA 1912's seem to take them but many British ER's do not. There seems to be no definitive list of what SE razors will take them as much depends on how much wear the razor has, I have a really well worn brassy old Star and they fit in that no problem, I think because the spring has been compressed with years of use.

The rule is (I suggest) insert the spined Feather and very gently start to close the top cover, if it feels really tight stop or you will 'bugger ' the spring, I have done that!

IMHO Feather SE blades are a two shave blade and they are finished; as already said the edge is thin and ground on a longer bevel and thus fragile, you have to remember that these Japanese blades are made for the Ultra rare Japanese feather razor which is a clone of the Valet and certainly in the West one of the rarest of all SE razors, so rare that I know of only one owner on all the shaving forums, which makes one wonder why One Blade choose it for their razor as Feather could pull it from production!

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

Spines from any standard SE blades can be fitted very easily to feather Stainless SE blades it takes about ten seconds.

The three SE razors that they will never fit are the three Micromatics as these razors have the little protrusions on the side of the blade tray to marry up with the cutouts on GEM SE blades.

The case with all other ASR,GEM/Ever Ready/Star/ razors is that they may or may not fit, you really have to try them, feather blades with a fitted spine are indeed indeed about one and a half millimetres deeper. I have found that most USA 1912's seem to take them but many British ER's do not. There seems to be no definitive list of what SE razors will take them as much depends on how much wear the razor has, I have a really well worn brassy old Star and they fit in that no problem, I think because the spring has been compressed with years of use.

The rule is (I suggest) insert the spined Feather and very gently start to close the top cover, if it feels really tight stop or you will 'bugger ' the spring, I have done that!

IMHO Feather SE blades are a two shave blade and they are finished; as already said the edge is thin and ground on a longer bevel and thus fragile, you have to remember that these Japanese blades are made for the Ultra rare Japanese feather razor which is a clone of the Valet and certainly in the West one of the rarest of all SE razors, so rare that I know of only one owner on all the shaving forums, which makes one wonder why One Blade choose it for their razor as Feather could pull it from production!

Regards
Dick.
Great write up there Dick..My findings exactly..I reckon that there is more than a good chance that Feather were involved with the design of the OneBlade...Too much of a coincidence that the blades about doubled in price shortly after with a blade that had a limited market as you say...:p

Billy

Great write up there Dick..My findings exactly..I reckon that there is more than a good chance that Feather were involved with the design of the OneBlade...Too much of a coincidence that the blades about doubled in price shortly after with a blade that had a limited market as you say...:p

Billy
Looking at the price of the one blade, dont think they are going to sell s""t loads of feather blades though!

Slightly off topic but related, I have been asked for my opinion privately on the Personna pathology blades for Durham Duplex that have been spotted on eBay. I have to say I remain sceptical about them as the pathology blades that I have are wrapped in sleeves that have a slightly different Personna logo to the regular dog dresser type blades:

DSC09568.JPG

Left: Pathology
Right: Dog Dresser

My pathology blades were imported from the US and came in a plastic sealed box and the really keen-eyed among you will be able to see the difference in the grind of the edge.

I'm not saying they're definitely not but with comparison to the ones on eBay, you should be able to draw your own conclusions.
What about those blades. The image of the wrapper looks right... Anyone tried them?

Back
Top Bottom