Looking for advice on blades

I decided to make a change from just using straight razors and acquired a Superslim adjustable which came with some Shark and 7 o clocks. I've only used the Sharks to date and noticed that the third shave had noticeably deteriorated (I have only moderately heavy growth) so I'm after some advice as It's been so long since I last used a DE that I can't remember either what blades were available and how long they lasted.

I've noticed that some people buy huge numbers of blades for next to nothing so my first question is - do the more expensive ones perform better and for longer? I don't intend using bthe DE every day so the price of a pack of blades is not too important. This leads to the next question, what are the easily available premium brands and how many shaves should I expect to get from one blade. A guide to the best places to buy would be appreciated.

I know these questions have a 'length of string' quality about them but I'd be grateful for your feedback.

Rob

UKRob said:
I decided to make a change from just using straight razors and acquired a Superslim adjustable which came with some Shark and 7 o clocks. I've only used the Sharks to date and noticed that the third shave had noticeably deteriorated (I have only moderately heavy growth) so I'm after some advice as It's been so long since I last used a DE that I can't remember either what blades were available and how long they lasted.

I've noticed that some people buy huge numbers of blades for next to nothing so my first question is - do the more expensive ones perform better and for longer? I don't intend using bthe DE every day so the price of a pack of blades is not too important. This leads to the next question, what are the easily available premium brands and how many shaves should I expect to get from one blade. A guide to the best places to buy would be appreciated.

I know these questions have a 'length of string' quality about them but I'd be grateful for your feedback.

Rob

Hi Rob

The Supermax Blue diamond titanium are very good, and really cheap at this pricepoint. Buy 2 and postage free.

http://supermaxworld.com/store/UK/node/16
I get about 3-4 shaves from a blade depending on time between shaves etc

All the Gillette 7 o'clock blades are very good and cheap. Smoother but less sharp are the Personna Platinums on www.connaughtshaving.com
Sharks aren't bad but they are cheap and longevity isn't as good as the other blades I mentioned. Alternatively, have a look at my Blade Review sticky in the DE blades section. 97 different blades reviewed so far!

NotTheStig said:
All the Gillette 7 o'clock blades are very good and cheap. Smoother but less sharp are the Personna Platinums on www.connaughtshaving.com
Sharks aren't bad but they are cheap and longevity isn't as good as the other blades I mentioned. Alternatively, have a look at my Blade Review sticky in the DE blades section. 97 different blades reviewed so far!

Had I thought about it long enough it would have dawned on me that there was probably already a review on blades on a shaving forum!!

Anyway it's worth having a couple of places to shop at.

Buy yourself the blade sample pack from Connaughts.

As with pretty much anything shaving related, blades are personal preference really and what works for one person (or one razor!) might not work for another.

A sample pack is a good idea indeed. Supermax SP, Perma-sharp, 7:00 Super Stainless (green) and Yellow 'Sharpedge' (though I find they go blunt sooner than I would like), though still to try the Feather blades.

Bestshave.net is a good site for some blades like the perma-sharps, shark stainless and Astra SP and SS too mentioned above. If you do order from there just be prepared for a two week wait as it's based in Turkey. The Shaving-Shack.com has some blades with free delivery and if you order £10's worth you get to choose a free product which includes Feather blades. What you can do is order 30 Feather blades for instance and get 40 for the same price. :)

Agree with the idea of a sampler pack as the best way to start. But what you may find is that blades act differently in different razors.
Or you can do what I did. You'll see great bargains for sleeves of 100. How can you pass that up!!!:)-)

Johnus said:
Agree with the idea of a sampler pack as the best way to start. But what you may find is that blades act differently in different razors.
Or you can do what I did. You'll see great bargains for sleeves of 100. How can you pass that up!!!:)-)

Having reflected on my original impetuous post I think that's exactly what I was trying to avoid. A pack of 100 blades will last me a minimum 300 shaves and given that probably 7 times out of 10 I will use a straight, it will take an age to work through that many. I will change my question - what is the opinion on premium quality blades - I've just acquired an old Aristocrat - that people would recommend?

UKRob said:
[Having reflected on my original impetuous post I think that's exactly what I was trying to avoid. A pack of 100 blades will last me a minimum 300 shaves and given that probably 7 times out of 10 I will use a straight, it will take an age to work through that many. I will change my question - what is the opinion on premium quality blades - I've just acquired an old Aristocrat - that people would recommend?

Hi there,

Well, I'd suggest three blades, taking into consideration I haven't tried all the blades that members suggest.

First would be a pack of mild yet effective Crystals (Israeli Personna). Some people get on fine with these and use em regularly.

Next would be the Gillette SharpEdge, which is very sharp, yet gives some room for error. Similar to the elusive Iridium, which is quite a nice blade. Those would be my guess as to the best all around fit for your face, but who knows.

Last would be one pack of Feather blades. These aren't quite like any other one I've used........extremely sharp. They need good technique for best results, and are a bit particular about the razor used with those. A very fun blade when matched up right.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Friday this week is number one daughter's wedding day and although I've been using a straight, for the last 9 months, I feel a little apprehensive for some reason. So, I've decided to use my newly acquired Super Slim with a 7 'o clock, but I will use that tomorrow to take the edge off it and then not shave again until the day.

I realise that this is nothing to do with the original post but sometimes it helps to talk.

Regarding the Aristocrat, I was thinking of trying a Feather on the basis of quality - is there any reason why they would not be compatible that you are aware of?

Good choices. Even if you didn't include the Derby's. Which are the best kept premium razor secret.
The idea of buy a sleeve of 100 is the issue of lot number. Just like with ammunition , razors vary with lot! A Wednesday morning run of Derbys may not be the same as a late Thursday afternoon run!:)-)

UKRob said:
Thanks Martin. Friday this week is number one daughter's wedding day and although I've been using a straight, for the last 9 months, I feel a little apprehensive for some reason. So, I've decided to use my newly acquired Super Slim with a 7 'o clock, but I will use that tomorrow to take the edge off it and then not shave again until the day.

I realise that this is nothing to do with the original post but sometimes it helps to talk.

Regarding the Aristocrat, I was thinking of trying a Feather on the basis of quality - is there any reason why they would not be compatible that you are aware of?

Some people like to match up a sharp blade with a mild razor, with me being one of those guys. When using a Gillette adjustable, the 4 is my magic number. Most every fixed head razor is more aggressive than that, including the 'mild' Tech.

The Aristocrat you have is probably a UK made one. Some have more bite than others, and I'd guess none would be suited for a Feather (at least for me). No, the Feather is one to use in your adjustable, maybe set to #3-4 to start with. The adjustment feature can tame it nicely and still provide a very smooth and comfortable shave.

The Sharpedge is one of the best all around blades.....one that pairs up well with lots of razors. That's what I'd suggest for the Aristo, at least to start with. Give the Feather a shot after your technique is improved. But who knows, those Crystal blades may be all you need. You just can't tell.

Now you're gonna hear other opinions and there's really no right or wrong. You gotta try all this shaving stuff yourself.

Hope that helps a little,

Martin

Johnus said:
Good choices. Even if you didn't include the Derby's. Which are the best kept premium razor secret.
The idea of buy a sleeve of 100 is the issue of lot number. Just like with ammunition , razors vary with lot! A Wednesday morning run of Derbys may not be the same as a late Thursday afternoon run!:)-)

Hey, you crazy old leatherfaced Yankee bastard,

How you doin buddy. Now come on, you only shared half that 'secret'. You forgot to mention the whole Derby Treatment, which is guaranteed to provide an exquisite shaving experience. You didn't say anything about using the Derby shaving stick and shaving cream, which is specially made for the Turkish Derby blade. Yeah, from what you said in another post, it's like a luxurious Spa kinda thing.

I liked your comparing Derby blades with bad ammo.......very good example.

Marvin

Hiya,

Ok, let me just mention there's no such thing as a superslim model. There's either a slim, which is all silver, or a super adjustable, which has a black handle and is made in long and short handle versions.

Hope that helps,

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Ok, let me just mention there's no such thing as a superslim model. There's either a slim, which is all silver, or a super adjustable, which has a black handle and is made in long and short handle versions.

Hope that helps,

Martin
I thought it was called a superslim adjustable in 67, and 68. 69 was when it went black. Iam no expert just what I thought. Anyway, even if it is called razor silver made before 1969 and adjustable. I still think sharp blades work best!

Back
Top Bottom