Looking for advice on blades

ishmael said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Ok, let me just mention there's no such thing as a superslim model. There's either a slim, which is all silver, or a super adjustable, which has a black handle and is made in long and short handle versions.

Hope that helps,

Martin
I thought it was called a superslim adjustable in 67, and 68. 69 was when it went black. Iam no expert just what I thought. Anyway, even if it is called razor silver made before 1969 and adjustable. I still think sharp blades work best!

You may be right,

I know certain models have picked up nicknames (like the Fatboy), and it's possible the superslim was a UK one of those. Then there's a Slim Twist, but that's not adjustable.

I don't recall ever seeing any info on an official Gillette Superslim type. Doesn't mean it wasn't called that somewhere, but calling it a Super Adjustable might avoid confusion.

Better?

dodgy said:
ishmael said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Ok, let me just mention there's no such thing as a superslim model. There's either a slim, which is all silver, or a super adjustable, which has a black handle and is made in long and short handle versions.

Hope that helps,

Martin
I thought it was called a superslim adjustable in 67, and 68. 69 was when it went black. Iam no expert just what I thought. Anyway, even if it is called razor silver made before 1969 and adjustable. I still think sharp blades work best!

You may be right,

I know certain models have picked up nicknames (like the Fatboy), and it's possible the superslim was a UK one of those. Then there's a Slim Twist, but that's not adjustable.

I don't recall ever seeing any info on an official Gillette Superslim type. Doesn't mean it wasn't called that somewhere, but calling it a Super Adjustable might avoid confusion.

Better?
No harm intended, after all were neighbors (Skokie). I have a tech for WW2 military issue and was told it had a special name because the top plate was black(forgot name) but I have never seen it called anything but military or GI tech. I bet there is some guy who worked at Gillette PR who scans these forums just to laugh at us and the names we give razors!

dodgy said:

I don't recall ever seeing any info on an official Gillette Superslim type.

I have a 'Super Slim Twist' to confuse things more! :icon_razz:

[/quote]

Some people like to match up a sharp blade with a mild razor, with me being one of those guys. When using a Gillette adjustable, the 4 is my magic number. Most every fixed head razor is more aggressive than that, including the 'mild' Tech.

The Aristocrat you have is probably a UK made one. Some have more bite than others, and I'd guess none would be suited for a Feather (at least for me). No, the Feather is one to use in your adjustable, maybe set to #3-4 to start with. The adjustment feature can tame it nicely and still provide a very smooth and comfortable shave.

The Sharpedge is one of the best all around blades.....one that pairs up well with lots of razors. That's what I'd suggest for the Aristo, at least to start with. Give the Feather a shot after your technique is improved. But who knows, those Crystal blades may be all you need. You just can't tell.
[/quote]

OK, I now know that I have a Super Adjustable Long Handle that will take just about any blade. The Aristocrat (USA made by the way) is probably a little too aggressive for a Feather at this point on my (re) learning curve, and will try the Sharpedge and Derbys.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice - one thing I've learned very quickly is that regardless of the number of blade threads, a new one gets just as much reation.

The Gillette 7 o'clock range ticks all of your boxes, they're easily available, a premium brand, and not expensive.

How many shaves? Well I get two, or no more than three. I quite like to have a fresh blade in and at ten pence a piece it's not dear. I use 2 per week shaving 5 or 6 times.

You got more then one Shark sample? I'm quite suprise you don't like shark, for me they very smooth and are sharp and very cheap, I bought 300 together with an friend its just $25.

But I would also recommend Astra SP, also smooth and sharp and cheap, you get 100 blades for about € 10.

Back
Top Bottom