Looking to try my 1st hard soap

Re: RE: Looking to try my 1st hard soap

Charliej said:
smegal said:
Mitchells Wool Fat?

I'm looking for something that is easier to get on with judging from the number of posts from people having issues with MWF it's probably not ideal for me.

I find it really easy to get on with. On medium hard water.

Maybe it's worth a try then, there's a local arts/crafts type shop that oddly enough stocks MWf stuff so I may take a look and see how much a refill puck is.

vman said:
Which shop is that charlie ?

It's the one in the corner at the Great Hall barn ( the lower one near Go Ape!) at Rivington. It's inside the cafe and in the back corner of the shop bit they have some MWF bits.

Go ahead and try the MWF without worrying about lather problems. Most people have no trouble with the stuff. To me it lathers up easy as DR Harris soaps do.

I think the MWF and Harris soaps are both triple milled, making them harder than many other soaps. As a result, it can take extra time to load your brush using these. Don't skimp on the puck swirling time......20-30 seconds isn't outta line. Most small soapmakers aren't set up for that milling process and soaps are much softer. Oh yeah, Nanny's 'hard' soap is actually moldable with a little effort, making it fairly soft.

Best thing about MWF is the scent. Just like three year old mutton! Yeah, it's like shaving at the Sunday Dinner table.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom