lost my lamy

I've not used a fountain pen since I was last at school, approx 20 years ago.
So on the advice of people on here I got myself a Lamy Al-star in blue.
I really liked using it, it looks cool, feels nice. I even got a few comments on my writing from people in the office.
Well the other night I finished off some paperwork, went home and the following morning its gone.
No idea whats happened to it. Everyone in the office knows its mine, everyone in the office now knows I've lost it as I spent 2 hours searching everywhere (even under the desk of the young ladies :angel: ) but its gone.
I can only assume one of two things. Either a factory worker has come into the office, used it to write a note and pocketed it (accidentally or on purpose).
Or I have put it on a pile of paperwork, closed a folder and I will find it in 6 months time.

So now I am fountain-pen-less again.

Not sure whether to just get the same Lamy again, or get a different brand as I now enjoy using ink again. And I have several nice mech pencils on my desk so I want a nice pen to complement them.

I know why banks use a metal chain to keep their pens.

That's why I use Chinese pens now, only cost one or 2 pounds (the luxury ones), buy a few of them, if you loose one, you just take another. Nice writers too.

Maybe covered, but it was only £8. And knowing me it will turn up, just not sure when.

n1vlo, tempted by your Parker, but absolutely skint at the moment, so wife has stopped all spending.

I got my Lamy Al-star off ebay, it was new, sealed and for £8 for me it was OK considering the price. But I'm sure there are far better pens. I just wanted a cheap, fairly decent pen to start with to see how I got on with ink after many years.
I think I may invest a little more to get a better pen at some point

You might be right about someone pocketing it accidentally; I myself am a cleptomaniac with pens, although it has to be said we're talking biros here. Every now and then I have to unload my bag of 20 pens back into office stationary cuboard.
Although when I was a little one starting to learn how to write in school in Ireland, we all had dip pens, and weren't allowed to use biros unless and until we had proven ourselves with a nib and ink, I love being able to dig that biro into the paper and not worry.....
We had special lined paper to show us how high to write the capitals and within where to restrain the lower case. Our desks had little ceramic pots for the ink, sunk into a hole, and covered over with a brass sliding cover. On last day of term, part of the festivities involved polishing the brass slidy cover with brasso.

In fairness very little will write better than a simple Lamy Safari or Al-Star - especially for £8, that's a huge bargain, normally closer to thrice that - and they're definitely the most popular pen I see among my students now. To get something that will write notably better you're going to be looking at north of £100, and we're only talking marginal differences.

Of course there's beauty and collectability of objects and inspiration of craftsmanship, which is a whole other matter...

My main two pens (one Waterman, one Sheaffer) live in a leather holder in my suit jacket pocket. When I get home they go into a drawer with the car keys, and out in the morning into the next suit as I go out the door.

Back
Top Bottom