Make a deer antler brush yourself

Sorry for "reviving" an old thread, but I just had to say how gorgeous these two brushes are!

What a great how-to description on making them as well. Thank you Neep.

Just found this old thread and resurrecting it again.
I feel I must both praise and damn Neep for sharing this beautiful and inspirational creation.

I discovered knifemaking through wanting a homemade, antler-handle knife. Now the simple straight razor I had planned on making for myself has to have stag scales and a wonderful accompanying brush like this!

greencloud said:
Just found this old thread and resurrecting it again.
I feel I must both praise and damn Neep for sharing this beautiful and inspirational creation.

I discovered knifemaking through wanting a homemade, antler-handle knife. Now the simple straight razor I had planned on making for myself has to have stag scales and a wonderful accompanying brush like this!

Something like this?

The brush is by another talented brushmaker on here - Not Sharp, who also provided the antler for the scales. Personally I prefer the natural rather than burned finish.

Goodness!
It was July 2011 when I made those brushes and started the thread. :icon_rolleyes:

Here are some other ideas with stag antler....

1083-fallow1.jpg

1083-fallow-a1.jpg

1239-stag5.jpg

1483-1v.jpg

Rod

UKRob said:
Rod - that 28mm silvertip looks tremendous although the one above it reminds me of a dishwash brush. :icon_razz:

Did you give up on the burned look?

No... I still make some with the burned stag.
And the owner of the "diswasher" brush has bought several different stag handled brushes from me. He likes that one a lot. :icon_razz:

Cheers
Rod

Thats all beautiful work, Rod.
The set with the coronet handled DE is stunning, but that stag handled straight has got me almost salivating! I'll be happy to produce something even a fraction as good.

I'm pleased you mentioned about the unburned look, I prefer it too and hoped it wasn't required for anything besides colouring. If you don't mind my asking, would a spade bit work for the recess or is it worth getting a forstner?

Pmsl @ the 'washing up brush' comment. Hey, each to their own and all that.

I'll be off to browse highland horn then!
Cheers,
Andy.

I'd go for a Forstner bit as there's less chance of it skipping around or making an uneven, non-cylindrical hole. Not to say that a spade bit wouldn't work but on the few brushes I've made, I've always used a Forstner - much more accurate in my very humble opinion.

Beautiful brushes on show there by two masters and yon felly that made the stag-handled straight has a wee bit bit of talent too, I suppose :p :D. More in his pinkie than I've got in my entirety!

Back
Top Bottom