Mama Bear's Soaps

globalm

Administrator
Staff Member
Supporter
I thought I would record my impressions of the soaps I got in the recent bulk purchase and start a thread where others could do likewise.

I got the Mysore Sandalwood and the Dragon's Blood and have now tried them both.

I found one huge upside and a small downside.

I have no other product, soap or cream, which lathers like these soaps! Lightly wet the surface of the soap and swirl a dozen times with a barely damp brush. It looks like there is very little product on the brush but I could work it into enough lather to shave three people! The lather is thick and, depsite the absence of clay in these soaps, is very protective. I rate the shave suitability at 10/10.

Now the downside. These soaps both have plenty of scent but, to my nose, the scent is somewhat 'artificial'. It reminds me of scented bin liners - initially pleasant but clearly synthetic and 'cheap'.

The later is a personal thing and YMMV. Any scent issues are more than made up for by the great performance.

I love the lather also. Really thick and has "clots" or "curdles" when building up in a bowl which I've not experienced before.
I've found the scents pleasing, but they fade away once I've finished and dressed. That's fine for me since I use separate cologne.

hmmm...my 3 or 4 i have had must have been bad batches i doubt as mine altho a nice product did not live up to the hype i was led to believe

there are far better products out there,,,but as you say ymmv

isaiah53 said:
how do these soaps compare with professor blightys? ive tried neither, im just curious to how they compare.

For me, Prof B's has more "body" and the lather is more substantial than Mama Sue Bear's. But they both are "go to" soaps in my repertoire.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I have only tried my dragons blood so far and have to say it lathered like a b****rd. Although compared with a tallow soap or cream it's lather feels somewhat thin and "flimsy".

The scent is nice although I feel has been more natural to my nose in other products I've used over the years.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of glycerine soaps. Tallow provide so many benefits in comparison.

i also decided glyerine soaps arent for me....lather is easy and scents are nice but just not creamy enough for me.
i also got a lot of face burn from the oils used in mama bears soaps.

right now i stick with MdC, Arlington, Mikes orange/cedar/pepper, and Pre De Provence.

I'm a complete newbie to wet shaving never mind DE shaving. I've had a beard since I was 22 yo, way back in 1989.

I have to agree about the lather being thin and flimsy, but it may be my poor technique. I don't have any problem with good thick lather from blue beards or Palmolive stick. The mbs is a hard soap so just getting enough on to the brush could be my problem.

I don't suffer the skin drying problem, I get more of that with the Palmolive tbh.

The mb smells are great imb.

I find with glycerin soaps that a good soak while you are showering improves the lather making

I also find they need breaking in, once you get the top layer off they improve no end

Well, it was my technique. With a dryish brush I was able to pick up plenty of soap and it lathers okay. Not as good as my black beards or Palmolive stick.

Back
Top Bottom