man on fire

daz

Didnt have time to post this yesterday so here it is now.

Yesterday I decided to have a shave with a handle I re-knotted. The knot I have had for over a year, namely a 26mm silvertip and is already broken in. After a shower I lathered up with some Italian Edelcream which I have used only once before. Post shave was Arko Yagli Krem which I have used almost daily for over a year. Nothing else was used but the following picture is the result!

[attachment=8692]

Don't know what caused it yet but I have to say I am a bit apprehensive about shaving this morning. Certainly won't be using the brush or Edelcream, I can tell you that for sure! Took a couple of hours to calm down but it was a bit painful and more than a bit itchy, felt like somebody had rubbed nettles on my face and neck and not really an experience I want to repeat.
Anyone else had this type of reaction before? Especially with products they have used before with no problems.

ps, try to ignore the scars caused by not paying enough attention with a Feather AC

Attachments

• daz.jpg
    daz.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 129
YorkNeil said:
Wow, definite allergic reaction. Not using a new washing powder or conditioner?

No nothing else at all, and ironically I am actually allergic to Daz washing powder. My wife thought that rather funny when we first moved in together and washed my clothes with the stuff for the first time. I didn't find having an itchy rash all over my body very amusing!
As you say it is definitely an allergic reaction to something, problem is I can't even take antihistamines as they knock me out and make me feel rather spaced out.
The reaction eventually spread over the whole of my neck and face, although the face wasn't anywhere near as bad. Something else is coming to mind now though, I tie my own flies for fly fishing and had a reaction last year to some deer fur I was using, I thought my eyes were going to bulge out of their sockets. Never had a reaction to it before, but have also now found over the last few months that I can no longer handle our rabbits or cat without breaking out in big blotches. Mmmhhhh, maybe a trip to the doc is in order, I hope it isn't a sign of my childhood asthma coming back as reactions to animal fur and asthma are quite often closely linked. Both my parents and brother suffer from alleries to furs and have asthma

Greetings Daz,

I sounds like you have probably identified it. My only advice if you have not is to not discount a food allergy, something you ate in the preceding hour perhaps? It does not have to be a contact allergy.

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Daz,

I sounds like you have probably identified it. My only advice if you have not is to not discount a food allergy, something you ate in the preceding hour perhaps? It does not have to be a contact allergy.

Regards
Dick.

I hope it's not Dick, I will have to get rid of my badger and boar brushes :-(
Wasn't anything I ate though as I had not eaten by that time and the only thing that had passed my lips was a glass of water and a cup of coffee.

My suspicion falls on the Edelcreme. I cannot use it at all as I am definitely sensitive to menthol but, even without that sensitivity, I think it is very strong. It makes my eyes water! Second application is a classic sensitivity emergence time - once to sensitise, second time to set your face on fire. Many people don't get on with eucalyptus.

If you're curious and game for an experiment, rub a dab of cream on your forearm and let it sit for an hour or so. Look for redness. You might want to have some anti-histamine cream standing by just in case.

Daz, I assume you had recently re-knotted the brush so is there any chance that you have got epoxy on the hairs? Good advice from global about trying the arm test.

There's many a thing I could put on my arm that my face wouldn't like. I'll be surprised if it is the Edelcreme as I know you like a bit of menthol but it could quite easily be another ingredient. I rather enjoyed it.

Gairdner said:
There's many a thing I could put on my arm that my face wouldn't like. I'll be surprised if it is the Edelcreme as I know you like a bit of menthol but it could quite easily be another ingredient. I rather enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong - I wish I could use it, eye-watering or not!

Eucalyptus, of which Edelcreme is not short, can be a problem for some.

Turns out it is not the edelcream. Despite knowing it was probably the wrong thing to do I decided to rub some onto the neck area, left it for 10-15 minutes and no reaction at all.
Definitely no epoxy on the knot as I put the epoxy in the handle, then pushed the knot in until seated.
Cyril kindly dropped by and has given me a shot of another badger brush with exactly the same knot. I shall try it later on this afternoon with some MDC and my Feather AC to see what happens. If I get a reaction then I have also become allergic to badger :-( If no reaction then it can only be contamination of some sort on the brush. The knot was stored in my workshop office for quite a while before I got round to finding it a home to live in. But it was kept in a drawer and I find it hard to believe that something managed to get on it. But then again as Cyril will be able to tell you I am not the tidiest of people, so I suppose it is quite possible despite how careful I have been? I did wash the knot before using it but the neck can be such a sensitive area that if anything was left behind it may have caused the reaction.
Maybe I will never know? I hope it never happens again though as it was none to pleasant!

Actually, it was a vintage blade I was using fresh out of the wrap and out of a newly opened, cellophane pack. Maybe something on the blade from manufacturing?
Maybe even Cyril's dodgy Fasan slant that he gave me? Maybe that's why he wanted rid of it so badly :p

Time shall tell I suppose, all I can do is try a brush and razor I know is clean and see what happens?

oh another thought, definately not the eucalyptus, I have several didgeriduhs made from it. And despite the reaction they cause with my wife they never seem to bother me too much :)

daz said:
Anyone else had this type of reaction before? Especially with products they have used before with no problems.

Yes, and I suspect, but have not fully confirmed, that it was Speick shaving cream. Neck, chin and cheeks itched like they'd been stung by stinging nettles. I'd used Speick for several days before it blew up. Over the last month I've gradually been reintroducing the products that I was using when it happened, and I've been OK so far... The last to re-try is Speick cream. Maybe in a few days

Back
Top Bottom