Manly writing paper and envelopes

Hi!

I am also an avid fountain pen user with a moderate sized but growing FP collection (maybe about 20 or so pens?).

My job takes me away from home a lot and I thought it would be nice to write to my family, especially my kids, as there is something a bit more special about a hand-written letter. I have already started but I find writing on plain A4 from work pretty awful, it can't cope with fountain pen ink at all really.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to get some classy (possibly even personalised?) stationary with envelopes with decent FP-friendly paper.

Any thoughts?

Chunkers

I suspect personalised stationery might be hard to get hold of and very expensive even if you can find it. I'm a bit uncertain as to what your definition of "manly" writing paper is. My personal definition would be something along the lines of:

1. Not scented:icon_rolleyes:

2. Not pink:icon_razz:

Rhodia do umpteen different sizes of pads with the option of ruled or dot pattern, but for letter-writing stationery, I'd suggest Clairfontaine Triomphe (white and very smooth), G Lalo Vergé de France, which is available in off-white shades and is a "laid" paper, which means that it has horizontal texturing, or, for a similar style with envelopes, John Lewis do A5 "Script" pads and envelopes, though I find it so heavily-textured that drier or finer nibs tend to skip and stutter on it.

I second Chrisbell's recommendations and you might also want to check out Basildon Bond,,great value for money and finally, Three Candlesticks which may be part of the same company.
regards, beejay

A contribution to the debate:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/07/10/the-art-of-letter-writing-stationery/

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/02/27/introducing-art-of-manliness-stationery-win-a-box/

All great points, and yes, I used the word 'Manly' in a slightly ironic way.

I am a bit old-fashioned but obviously use electronic communication as much as anyone but I doubt many people keep emails and texts for nostalgic reasons and i think a hand-written note is much more personal e.g. I still have lettters written to me as a child by my father.

Something much classier about a letter in my mind anyway ....

I konw that poor quality paper yellows ans deteriorates with time and is horrible to write on.

I'll probably start with something like this and take it from there but really like ther idea of personalised stationary from somewhere like this.

Chunks

Good for you. No one needs to justify their preferences on things like this. When I write some letters I like to use decent quality paper and envelopes. it just feels like the right thing to do, especially to congratulate someone or to express sympathy.

personallised, try smyhtson, 50 sheets with envolopes just shy of 200 notes

see here
http://www.smythson.com/personalised-stationery/wizard/index/sku/P-writing-paper?gclid=CNrNlqLhsr0CFazHtAodYQIARQ#/summary

steve

Back
Top Bottom