Martin de Candre - the bowl version?

They do look so sweet and every time I see one, I think I could eat it :) I would be tempted, but it's a lot of £ for a bowl (without lid)...

I have one of those bowls... Gorgeous to be fair. Not the biggest fan of MDC, but more than happy with the bowl*

*Yes, I've read that back to myself, it is as pathetic as it sounds. I'm in love with a wooden bowl.

Yeah, because for my sins I work with timber and understand some of its peculiar habits. Trees are big bunches of fibres and extremely good at pumping fluids around; shaped pieces of wood with lots of exposed end grain suck up water and distort. Some species more than others, and the beech which MdC have chosen to use is notorious for deforming given the slightest change in humidity, let alone a good soaking. Obviously a waterproof lacquer will go a long way towards minimising that, but the material is still inherently unstable. Hence engaging the services of someone like Bill, because he can suggest a material which will be suitable and provide a good finish. He made a bowl for someone here out of an old lignum vitae bowl (as in crown green) which looked fantastic and would probably do the job admirably.

The other thing is the porosity of many timbers, where the cell structure is coarse and the grain open. A breeding ground for who knows what, and at any rate I can't see soap keeping as well in such a material. I can understand the attraction, but will be sticking with ceramic or plastic.

I've got the soap in the bowl. It's a very nice bowl and a great soap. I think mine has got a few more weeks use left in it, it will have lasted me about a year, probably used for about 80% of my shaves. You obviously pay a bit more for the bowl, although I have also read that they overfill the bowls slightly as well compared to the listed weight.

One thing to bare in mind is that the scent does dissipate a bit since the bowl is left open and also if it's not in daily use it may get a bit dusty. Other than that it's an ideal shape and size for holding in the palm of your hand and I'm sure it'll get used for another soap once the MdC is finished.

I would have bought another bowl to replace the one about to finish but picked up a glass jar on the BST a few months back, so will use that first.

Arrowhead said:
Yeah, because for my sins I work with timber and understand some of its peculiar habits. Trees are big bunches of fibres and extremely good at pumping fluids around; shaped pieces of wood with lots of exposed end grain suck up water and distort. Some species more than others, and the beech which MdC have chosen to use is notorious for deforming given the slightest change in humidity, let alone a good soaking. Obviously a waterproof lacquer will go a long way towards minimising that, but the material is still inherently unstable. Hence engaging the services of someone like Bill, because he can suggest a material which will be suitable and provide a good finish. He made a bowl for someone here out of an old lignum vitae bowl (as in crown green) which looked fantastic and would probably do the job admirably.

The other thing is the porosity of many timbers, where the cell structure is coarse and the grain open. A breeding ground for who knows what, and at any rate I can't see soap keeping as well in such a material. I can understand the attraction, but will be sticking with ceramic or plastic.

bb431641-1.jpg

903572ec-2.jpg

Is mine there you go and has pride of place in my Bathroom. Made from a Scottish bowling ball the brush handle and bowl, as Andy said Lignum Vitae.
Regards,
Pete
Pete

Now that's a lovely bowl... Fair play.

As for the MDC offering, to be fair, it oozes quality. I'm not doubting you know your stuff when it comes to wood, but so far, no problems whatsoever with the MDC for me. Be interesting to hear from anyone out there if they have experienced any issues with the build quality or hygiene concerns...
Funnily enough though, the only time I've had soap go a bit 'off' was a puck of MWF in a ceramic bowl, haven't used one since.

Perished said:
Now that's a lovely bowl... Fair play.

As for the MDC offering, to be fair, it oozes quality. I'm not doubting you know your stuff when it comes to wood, but so far, no problems whatsoever with the MDC for me. Be interesting to hear from anyone out there if they have experienced any issues with the build quality or hygiene concerns...
Funnily enough though, the only time I've had soap go a bit 'off' was a puck of MWF in a ceramic bowl, haven't used one since.

By off I take it you mean cracking, MWF is notorious for doing that if it dries out, would not matter what you had it in to be honest, I know when I put some soft soap in a wooden bowl it dried out very quickly compared to my other tin of soft soap

I know it's a bit nit picking but at least other manufacturers supply a refill when you buy their soaps in a bowl. As far as I know M De C don't. As for drying out, M de C recommend you leave the lid off the jar and only put it on for when travelling. I leave mine to dry for a few hours then screw it back on.

Back
Top Bottom