'Me' artisan shaving soaps

Elena makes these soaps and has, at last, gone on line - http://www.flowershaving.blogspot.com.es/

I have used six of her soaps and all are good. Pucks are a little small - but go a long way.

Postage is a bit of a problem - encouraging a Group Buy, maybe.

I really like the containers. Although a bit weird for a hard soap to be in a glass container. Is she from Spain? What scents have you tried?

Apologies - only four. They are in little plastic jars, per soap makers shops.

I have Siroco, Tramontana, Alcala and Galerna.

I load from the puck and face lather - wouldn't want to load from anywhere else, really! Lovely stuff, in my regular rotation, rotating the four top to bottom of the stack.

I'm sure I bought six but then my memory ....... What? It's great when I find stuff I'd lost, especially when I don't know I had it in the first place.

Edit: Sorry - yes, she is Spanish. Lovely to talk to. I imagine a voluptuous Carmen but I have no idea.

Carl, you're a bad man, again! I think you must be my biggest enabler. ;)
I have just ordered one of each of her remaining scents, six of them. The remaining scents in stock, as of half an hour ago are, J&E, Granada, Galerna, Nuevo Amanecer, Siroco and Costa Dorada. The postage wasn't too bad for six but would've been expensive for one at €8.65 (101g to 500g tracked).

Sm304 said:

Whilst you are on a roll, why not try Tiki soaps on Etsy. Mine arrived yesterday - used 'Surf's Up' this morning and I have to say - it's bloody excellent. Definitely an artisan soap worth adding to any rotation, imo.

Bechet45 said:
Sm304 said:

Whilst you are on a roll, why not try Tiki soaps on Etsy. Mine arrived yesterday - used 'Surf's Up' this morning and I have to say - it's bloody excellent. Definitely an artisan soap worth adding to any rotation, imo.

Which one did you go for, Vegan or Tallow?

Sm304 said:
Bechet45 said:
Sm304 said:

Which one did you go for, Vegan or Tallow?

Don't you know by now that I live in a "both....and" world, not an "either ......or" hell!! When ever I'm offered a choice, I choose as many as I can afford. I mean, it's scientific, innit, to compare. Now you've reminded me, I shall have to go look which is which - scientifically speaking.

Are there any religious implications in using a tallow soap? I can't see a Hindu being happy to lather up with a beef tallow soap but I've only ever seen an ingredient "tallow", not saying which animal. Play safe and opt for vegan, I suppose. Hadn't thought about this before, being atheist - started with wondering why 'vegan' is the opposite of 'tallow'.

Oh! that's kiboshed that! She's stuck labels one atop the other, over-lapping and I can't separate them without destroying the ingredients list. This morning I used either a tallow soap or a vegan one (see the hell it causes) and it was excellent. I shall declare any non-performers, if there are any, to be vegan because we all know tallow soaps produce thicker, creamier, slicker lather. with prejudice like that, maybe I chose all tallows after all!!

Does that answer your question?

Are there any religious implications in using a tallow soap?

That's right Big Bro, spoil the relief that warm Emu Oil carefully massaged into my arthritic knees affords me. For I am fairly sure that Emus are non kosher. On the other hand, surely "fairly sure" allows me enough wriggley room to continue to benefit from my non prescription & non chemical externally applied analgesic. Course it does ! After all, what's this forum for if not to allow a bit of enabling here and there !

JohnnyO. \:s

JohnnyO said:

That's right Big Bro, spoil the relief that warm Emu Oil carefully massaged into my arthritic knees affords me. For I am fairly sure that Emus are non kosher. On the other hand, surely "fairly sure" allows me enough wriggley room to continue to benefit from my non prescription & non chemical externally applied analgesic. Course it does ! After all, what's this forum for if not to allow a bit of enabling here and there !

I must try this oil! Which parts of the emus do they boil down to make it? Barbee'd emu suggested to me there is not a lot of fat on these birds so the oil must be very expensive - especially for us poor old pensioners. Do you suppose it would work on thumbs as well as knees?

I'm guessing it should assist on any area which has rheumatic or arthritic probs Carl. I got put on to it some years ago by the powerlifters at the gymn. It's got a gr8 recommendation for probs such as bursitis, strained or torn muscles and ligaments and just general soreness. Apparently it has the ability to penetrate the skin (is that being desmogenic or a similar term ?) and has been trialled in Australia to carry local analgesics into muscle fibres in horses with probs.
I get mine from Pioneer Trading Co & it's not prohibitively expensive. Once it's warmed up a little goes a long way. If you want to "try before you buy" remind me of your address & I'll send some down. I can't promise it'll work for you, however it does help me & a few of the big guys at the gymn.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:

That's right Big Bro, spoil the relief that warm Emu Oil carefully massaged into my arthritic knees affords me. For I am fairly sure that Emus are non kosher.

Bechet45 said:
JohnnyO said:

That's right Big Bro, spoil the relief that warm Emu Oil carefully massaged into my arthritic knees affords me. For I am fairly sure that Emus are non kosher.

I must try this oil! Barbee'd emu suggested to me there is not a lot of fat on these birds so the oil must be very expensive - especially for us poor old pensioners.

Shalom, non Chosen Ones,

Boy are you guys clueless. I am not a rabbi, but I once dressed as one when a kid on Halloween. Heh, I just remembered doing that....pretty funny.

So growing up, my whole family knew all the various kosher things and there are some odd ones. For example, you may know that some razors need to be kosher. That includes using a kosher sharpening stone as well, and if the stone becomes 'trafe' or non kosher, it needs to be buried for a while as part of the way back to kosherness. Look it up.

Anyway, beef tallow is fine to use, pig tallow, no way.

The Emu IS kosher, so no problem there Johnny. You can still look your rabbi in the eye.

Carl, you're right about that bird being a bit stringy, but you gotta remember they weigh a bunch. The scam with emu oil is the % used. You want 100% pure emu squeezings.....nothing less. Check the ingredients list to see what's up.

Ok? Y'all clear now?

Moishe

Thank you Merton, I may even say a couple of Oi vey Marias for you ! The Pioneer oil is about as pure as it comes Big bro B. I ommitted to say in my previous post that the Co is in Lincs & were the 1st major importers of Emu oil back in the last century. I don't like their "Blue" muscle rub at all though as it can be quite irritating on the skin.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

PS I don't have any rabbis, priests or professional clerics ... They all disowned me decades ago.

Shit! I thought for a minute there you were going to tell me they squeezed emus from off the moors! Then I'd know it was snake oil selling!

It's grand being disowned by that bunch, innit. I wish someone would tell the Monday afternoon Christian Ladies who knock my door - they will not be put off! Maybe they're forgetful like someone I know - or knew, can't remember - so I try not to be too hard on them - well, not since a strong reply in Sailorese didn't work.

I thought for a minute there you were going to tell me they squeezed emus from off the moors! Then I'd know it was snake oil selling!

No, that's that well known lubricant "Duck Oil" you're thinking of. If the persistent ladies at your door are Jehovah's Witnesses I finallly got them to desist by writing a letter to them & popping it in to the local Kingdom Hall. Seems that they have a book of "do not call" at the base which the door to door publishers are intended to check prior to canvassing.
Gosh, how do I appreciate the forbearance of this forum in the latitude they allow the terminally silly such as I to meander around other's threads. Mea maxima culpa for the unintentional derailment.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Back
Top Bottom