Men U synthetic promo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1DClv4rEQ&NR=1[/youtube]

No water absorption therefore no heat, no? Plus that badger was as dry as a bone, not a fair fight me thinks.

If I was a barber I would definitely use one, anybody use and like them?

I have the bristle version,decent enough for the price and was an upgrade from a wilkinson a couple of years ago.Always shedded a lot and the handle is quite light.

blimey that was 8 minutes of my life that i will never get back. Call me a buff old traditionalist but the idea of wet shaving is to have a WET shave. That badger brush barley saw the water.

It also strikes me that all barber shops that are men-u stockists have won an award as the nearest one to me has and its not deserved.

Has anyone tried the men-u cream, i have a sampler that i have never used as it has alcohol in it, and i thought that was bad when shaving.. am i missing out on something.?

hunnymonster said:
henkverhaar said:
Not a fair and objective comparison at all...

Why would you expect that of advertising? The brand being advertised is always better than Brand X :D

Very true. However, when you're commercial includes an implied objective comparison, to show the superiority of your product, you'd better make sure that the comparison actually LOOKS fair and objective, otherwise your commercial may backfire instantly ;-)

Henk

Millay said:
Has anyone tried the men-u cream, i have a sampler that i have never used as it has alcohol in it, and i thought that was bad when shaving.. am i missing out on something.?

Dunno about the cream, but the gel stuff he is showing in the commercial is clearly purely synthetic, with its almost instant lather. And, as you said, wet shaving is about wet shaving. It's the water that preps the hairs for the blade. The soap/detergent degreases the hairs, the lather provides cushion and slip. You need all three for a good shave.

Lather
Soap/detergent
Water

Any shaving product that does not provide all three is less than ideal.

Millay said:

I have used it, with the cheaper Men U brush and a badger brush. You need to produce a drier lather, and I definitely needed more than just 1 shot of cream. results were similar with both brushes, the badger faired slightly better maybe. Got a good lather from it and a good shave. It has a bit of a menthol cooling effect, and I read somewhere the alcohol in it is very low as it is only as a preservative.

readily available in boots (£10?) for a 100 ml lockable pump bottle, thus good for travel, and thats what I use it for.

i had both brushes, bristle & synthetic.

one (?) came with a little sample tube of cream but i sold it with the bristle brush as a starter set on B+B

the synthetic isn't a bad brush at all, no idea how it compares to ones from other manufacturers though.
the hairs are like crinkle cut chips to help with agitation and increase area i'd guess.
cream only or a well soaked cake of glycerin soap for this one.
feels ok on the face during use.
i bought it as a gym\work brush as i figured it wouldn't go mouldy or gangy if it had to sit in my wash bag for a while
the handle is a bit on the cheap side, felt worse on the bristle version as the hairs are heavier.

I tried a sample of that cream (with a badger) - it provides a nice enough shave, but it's very picky about water ratio and it's very easy to add too much. I think you need more product than it states.

I imagine it would work better with the dedicated brush which holds less water.

I do however love the face wash and moisturiser lift (which also doubles as a balm)!

We made a video simply to demonstrate the Men-U shaving brush in action. It'd be very difficult to provide a worthwhile scientific test as the optimum levels of each brush would vary, the vigour with which the lather was created etc. With my entirely personal hat on I do think this particular synthetic does a good job and serves a purpose - humane/vegetarian option, good for travel etc. albeit at the expense of heat retention and ultimate feel.

TimothyEdwards said:
We made a video simply to demonstrate the Men-U shaving brush in action. It'd be very difficult to provide a worthwhile scientific test as the optimum levels of each brush would vary, the vigour with which the lather was created etc. With my entirely personal hat on I do think this particular synthetic does a good job and serves a purpose - humane/vegetarian option, good for travel etc. albeit at the expense of heat retention and ultimate feel.

There's no denying that, and that is of course a very valid position, to provide the best brush you can within certain constraints -- in this case providing a brush for people who object to using badger. However, the video was staged as a contest between two brushes. If you do that, you need, in my opinion, to try and be objective.

Cheers

Henk

I have a Men-U brush, I bought it because I was being all Eco and didn't want to buy something made from slaughtered animal. Don't get me wrong, I'm no veggie, I eat meat. But I was in that kinda crazy space where I wouldn't wear furs but I do wear a leather jacket and leather shoes and leather belt.

Hypocracy all over.

Anyway, the Men-U brush cost me 30 notes, and is very smooth and gets me a lather. My dad showed me his old shaving brush today, it was like wire. "You need a harder brush to generate a lather," he said. I'm not one to contradict my father, but my soft Men-U brush seems to do the trick.

I'm 3-4 weeks into DE shaving, and no expert, but those are my observations.

Back
Top Bottom