Men U synthetic promo

My brush left at my parents house is the £8 bristle brush from men-u. Its not a bad brush its nothing exciting but for occasional use when at my parents it does the job quite capably.

Millay said:
Has anyone tried the men-u cream, i have a sampler that i have never used as it has alcohol in it, and i thought that was bad when shaving.. am i missing out on something.?

No, you're not missing out. I had a small tube of Men U, and the cream disappears up the brush. The solution is to just dip the tip of the brush in water, shake off the excess, then lather up at the tip only. This cream is not that good I don't think.

Seen that vid a few times. Multiple assumptions targeted at an uninformed audience. Checking bristle softness by flattening down on a table isn't really a comparison.

The biggest assumption, based on the barber's requirements to us as little product as possible and contain his costs, is that getting the most lather out of a brush is the best gauge of its quality and performance. Having enough lather is important, but simply getting more shaves per bottle isn't proof of that. Shave cream is one of the cheaper consumables in DE shaving anyhow, and I'd prefer to use a bot more of the good stuff than stinge out. But this vid targets joe public, who already knows he's getting dacked and wedgied by Gillette.

I've tried the cream sampler and it's ok. Minty, not unlike proraso, but I don't think it's as good. No matter what brush you use.

Millay said:
Has anyone tried the men-u cream, i have a sampler that i have never used as it has alcohol in it, and i thought that was bad when shaving.. am i missing out on something.?

I do have the men-u cream (A sample size one which I had got free)

I have used it twice till now. Both the times to create a lather and leave it overnight to break the brush.

It did not have any fragrance to it but it did produce lots of lather (I was using quite some amount of cream also since I wanted the brush to be covered in lather to sit overnight)

Glad I'm not the only one that thought the "test" was ludicrously biased - as was said, the bias must be cleverly disguised for the advert to work, and that wasn't disguised at all.

The thing I dislike about this brush is the molded handle. The actual performance of the brush is pretty good but the handle detracts from the experience too much. The Taylor's synthetic has a much nicer handle if you want a synthetic brush and has a performance edge for similar money. I think that Omega do what looks like the same knot in various handles for less money. I agree that the video is set up against the badger brush but that's advertising.

The molded handle is the biggest disappointment with this brush. I actually have one of these bought before I discovered TSR and smoothed the mold lines with a knife to get it looking reasonable ( a bit like tidying up an Airfix kit). The brush works fine but the experience is not special enough for regular use. Fine for travel though. If you want or need a synthetic then the Taylor's , Omega or perhaps the new Muhle would be more satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom