Merkur being delivered tomorrow and my ingrown hairs!

Just ordered a EJ89 from the english shaving company and paid the extra for special delivery. I just hope they are open tomorrow now and will deliver for thursday! Was undecided which to go for , either the DE89 or the DE89L but prefer the smooth look of the DE89!

Matt

Johnus said:
My God lad. Your beard must be down to your collar button by now! You'll need a pair of clippers by the time that razor arrives!

Nope, a nice trusty pack of featherlight disposable pieces of **** has been the shaver of the day for the last few weeks. Cant wait to get my EJ89!

Well the EJ has been delivered!!! Looks gorgeous , the handle is a little smaller than i thought , not very long but i can see how that would be comfortable so will reserve judgement until i shave later on.

The English Shaving Company also included a tester of the EJ shaving cream and mouisturiser and it smells lovely so will try that aswell.

Will report back later on how it went!

Matt

Don't know about anyone else ..but I use a soft nailbrush kept specifically for giving my razors a scrub under running water after every shave....then a dry and polish on a soft towel.....that way I get a nice fresh razor every morning....I take the blade out first obviously...that gets a separate rinse and a flick......ready for next time.

My preference is for three piece razors as they're easier to give a good fettle....

OMG , just had first shave with the Edwin Jagger 89 and im in agony. I made sure i didnt rush , didnt put any pressure on at all , i preshaved with oil, put the EJ shaving cream that came with it on and this happened!!! I used a derby blade that came with the razor. Do you think its the razor at fault or blade? Or anything else?

SDC10178.jpg

SDC10177.jpg

Hi,

I did 2 passes , one normal straight down and one against the grain as the straight down still left a thickish amount of beard under my chin. I did lather the cream up alot so it was nice and thick. The pics are actually after about 4 times of wiping the blood off and trying to stop it bleeding , it was 3-4 times more saturated in blood after the shave.

Not happy at all with the first time tbh

Matt

You expected shaving nirvana on the first run? You'll need a bit of patience. I told you the tools will not do it all for you.

Work on a slick lather; thick is not always best, it can be too dry and not slippery enough.

Forget ATG shaving til you know your razor. Forget shave quality, you're learning to shave for the first time without a blade that does it all for you.

Put technique ahead of results and you'll get there quicker. Try and get cue ball smooth in your first week and you'll end up with more of the same.

When I started I thought I was pretty handy, but my results were poor. I was 5 o'clock shadow by lunchtime for a few weeks. It was a couple of months before I was really happy with my technique. It's not hard, it won't take long, but you can't expect instant results.

Back off the pressure. Lots of newbs say they're using none, but they are. All you need is the weight of the razor on your face, and you find the right cutting angle. There's a difference between cutting and scraping and only a bit of experience will allow you to tell them apart. When you get efficient, you'll remove a lot more hair on the first pass. Most people will need at least two, one pass is rarely enough. Also, don't assume with the grain is always straight down, few people have beards that grow uniformly, you need to know the growth patterns and shave with the grain accordingly. That could be E-W in some spots.

Hi,

I see what your saying. Are the derby blades any good? Ive ordered 30x featherlight blades that should be here next week so will keep at it!

Matt

Drubbing said:
I find Derbys a bit blunt and rough, but at your stage all blades will be much of a muchness. If you've ordered Feathers, I'd leave those til you're more confident, they are the sharpest things around. That doesn't make it easier, you need a featherlight touch with them. I still can't use them they flare my skin up.

Thats EXACTLY the sensation i got when i was shaving. They felt like they were blunt and id used the blade a dozen times. I might wait until the blades get here next week and try again but go absolutely light as a feather.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom