Merkur Blades

I got my Merkur razor delivered yesterday and it came with a free Merkur Super blade. I notice these blades are quite expensive compared to others so had high expectations. I loaded it in the shaver last night, started to shave and.....awful! Dragged and pulled so much in the first 2 stokes WTG that I took it out, swopped for an Astra and... ahhh that's better, lovely first shave with my new Merkur.

I'll try the blade in other razors but I don't rate it so far, god knows why they are so expensive!

Yep.

One of life's mysteries.

They are one of the most expensive DE blades out there but are also one of the worst performing.

They have been known to work better in Merkur razors, but your experience suggests otherwise.

The razors are good performers; they probably think people will by their blades based on this reputation. And by keeping the price of the blades high it probably enhances this idea.

I can't remember exactly how the Merkur blades performed...not horrendous...but not good either for the price range...there are certainly blades out there that are far superior in my view.

Permasharps'
Gillette Yellows
To name but two.

Greetings,

My opinion is exactly the same, there are blades costing a fraction as much that are far superior in every way. They must be a marketing P.R. disaster for Merkur whose other products, razors scissors tweezers etc are excellent. I think it would help their image if they discontinued them altogether!

Regards
Dick

Same here, I've only used the free ones that come with a new Merkur but having bought 4 new Merkurs, I've tried 4 and each one has been pretty shabby.

I think if you're going to pop in a sample blade with every new razor, that blade should be good. As ND says, it's really a bit of a PR disaster as based on the freebies I'd never buy any at all.

Yeah the first blade should be the best they can supply, if i had never de shaved, didn't know about this forum and that was my first razor + blade i would have thought it was crap.

They are made in Germany, even though in Germany they don't get paided so much, its still not as cheap to produce as in The Middle East. So I guess that's the reason they are so expensive.

I will never buy this brand, if I want an expensive blade then I would consider Feather.

i think i must be in the minority here, i shaved with only merkur blades for a number of years and i thought they were ok. i only started looking about for a bit of variety, ive now found a lot better blades for a better price and never use merkur blades now, but i thought they were ok.

Back
Top Bottom