Merkur progress

A

Aaron1983

Anyone used a progress? Thinking of buying one....

Whats your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, really good razor.
Something about the head design makes it very comfortable, efficient & not fussy about blades in the slightest.
Some find the handle a bit slippery & the plastic knob is something you either love or hate.
There is a long handled version too.

Personally, I think it's one of the better modern offerings.

The Parker variant looks good too, it seems to be a progress with all the niggles (character)
Ironed out I.e. slightly longer knurled handle & metal adjustment knob.
Parker haven't released it in UK/EU yet, it can only be a matter of time?
I'd be inclined to wait if you're not crossing your legs for one at least until the variant gets a few more reviews & a UK disti

Really, really good razor.
Something about the head design makes it very comfortable, efficient & not fussy about blades in the slightest.
Some find the handle a bit slippery & the plastic knob is something you either love or hate.
There is a long handled version too.

Personally, I think it's one of the better modern offerings.

The Parker variant looks good too, it seems to be a progress with all the niggles (character)
Ironed out I.e. slightly longer knurled handle & metal adjustment knob.
Parker haven't released it in UK/EU yet, it can only be a matter of time?
I'd be inclined to wait if you're not crossing your legs for one at least until the variant gets a few more reviews & a UK disti

Thanks Jaygee

Ive been reading some reviews and seems Merkur progress has a lot of fans.

It's a brilliant razor. I've been using one daily for about 6 months. Two passes. Number 2 on the neck going up to 2.5 on second pass. And 2.5 going up to 3 on the rest of the beard. Close super smooth and comfortable shave. I liked the 24hd which I still use when I travel but the Progress is a step up. You won't regret it.

It's a brilliant razor. I've been using one daily for about 6 months. Two passes. Number 2 on the neck going up to 2.5 on second pass. And 2.5 going up to 3 on the rest of the beard. Close super smooth and comfortable shave. I liked the 24hd which I still use when I travel but the Progress is a step up. You won't regret it.

Great info. Have you used a Futur?

I haven't. It just looked kind of big and I like the kind of ugly but retro cool plastic end on the Progress' handle. But I know there are a lot of fans that'll swear by the Future on here.

Bought a Progress a couple of years ago...still own it and use it regularly.

Bought a Futur recently and it was gone within a couple of days.

Too bulky and a totally different "feel" to the Progress. Obviously OK for some folk.... just not for me.

It's no secret that the Progress has been one of my favorite razors for many years. But, as others here have said, the new Parker Variant addresses most of the little quirks of the Progress. Now more often than not I pick up my Variant and my Progress has stayed in the razor drawer for a while.

Last edited:
the progress has been made since the 1960s. its the oldest adjustable razor being built. I have seen ebay listings for one made in 1967, the logos seem right for that era on the box.

However my money would go with the parker.

Merkur progress order placed with executive shaving. I will give it ago [emoji16]

Hey guys

What setting on the progress is equivalent to the merkur 34c ?

Back
Top Bottom