Merkur razor warranty

Hey men
I best pass this little bit of information on if any of you have problems with your Merkur razors.
I've had Merkur 34C HD for a couple of years now which has always had a dodgy blade exposure problem,one side more aggressive.
I know the problem is the cap because i've tried another one from another razor . I contacted customer care about this thinking on the lines of purchasing a new one.Here's the reply.

Thank you very much for your email.
We are going to send you a replacement part within the next few days.
Best regards,
Ilka Pieper
Merkur Stahlwaren
Solingen
Germany

email link----- <!-- e --><a href="mailto:a.rothstein@dovo.com">a.rothstein@dovo.com</a><!-- e -->

Dont be stuck with a razor your not happy with

Chris

Result!

I bought a Mergress for my birthday and it had some plating missing on the top of the body.

I contacted the retailer and they sent me a whole new Progress so I could switch the adjuster bit over. I was pleased with the customer service, but a bit frustrateed that I had to wait almost 2 months after my 40th birthday before I could have a shave with birthday present, but it did all turn out good in the end :)

Interesting.

What is also interesting is that Dovo (who now own Merkur) consider that it invalidates their 2 year warranty if any of their straight razors are honed by anyone other than them, and as far as I am aware they don't offer a re-honing service and many don't leave the factory shave ready either!

I too had a pleasant experience the other week with Dovo Merkur , I contacted them by e mail and within a week I had a new knob for my Progress which I wanted replacing as I was not happy with the finish on the original .
For some reason I had built up the impression in my head that they would be unresponsive but this was certainly not the case and this experience has changed my impression of them somewhat ,
Regards
Derrick

Nic - rock and hard place springs to mind!

Derrick - sounds good that they replaced it due to the finish and no particular 'fault' per se. Did you take photos and send them or was it just by email that the problem was resolved? Did they respond quickly too?

Really got to admire that kind of customer relations. Good way to build brand loyalty in your customer base, just a shame that service like that needs to be highlighted nowadays as it's not so common.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

geezer said:
Nic - rock and hard place springs to mind!

Derrick - sounds good that they replaced it due to the finish and no particular 'fault' per se. Did you take photos and send them or was it just by email that the problem was resolved? Did they respond quickly too?

No photographs were taken , they took my word for it via e mail and all in all it only took a little over a week for me to get the part , they even put in two collars to go on the shaft , I used one and now have a spare , top job
Derrick

Had the same problem a few years ago, difference in blade gap was noticeable even to my wife. Here is the reply;

Dear Russell,

Thank you very much for your email. Sorry for not replying earlier, but I just returned from a business trip.

If the gap appears slightly uneven, it is due to normal tolerances and not an indication for a defect. The slight tolerances are quite normal (the chrome plating will not have the exact same thickness all over the razor), so this might lead to slight differences in the blade gap on one side of the razor head versus the other. Also, the razor is assembled by hand, so there will always be tolerances that do not influence the function of the razor, not its performance.

In addition the blade - when inserted - has a little bit of give around the cut-outs along the center for easier loading and removing. Since it is virtually impossible to hold the razor top 100 % in balance so you can center the blade perfectly, the blade will always be a little bit more exposed on one side than the other. Again, this is normal and will happen to basically every safety razor.

If you feel that one side is more agressive than the other, try loading the razor with the blade tipping it towards the less agressive side while closing it, so the more agressive side should become less so.
I hope I could shed some light on the situation. If you need further information, please let me know.

Best regards,
Anne
MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG
Boecklinstr. 10
42719 SOLINGEN
GERMANY
phone: ++49-212-2300135
fax: ++49-212-313612

Mmmm! I didn't think so then and don't think so now. Maybe just a different lady, different tact

That is more the response I would have expected to be honest. Same person (Anne) it would appear but what approach did you use and any pics to show the problem and did it have any aggressive side? Ultimately, what did you do on the back of that - sell it I guess?

Back
Top Bottom