Mini macs

Anyone have any experience of the Apple Mini Macs ?

I use the iPad more than anything but we need another laptop / pc. Son starts secondary school in Sept and has a laptop. SWMBO uses my laptop for her studies and little SWMBO ( five year old daughter) likes using mine too.

I fancy an apple but don't need the portability of a laptop so mini mac plugged in the back of a 47" plasma sounds a good idea. They look neat and small and would sit by the pc. I also like the look of their tracking pad a wireless keyboard.

Are they any good ?

Northam Saint said:
Anyone have any experience of the Apple Mini Macs ?

I use the iPad more than anything but we need another laptop / pc. Son starts secondary school in Sept and has a laptop. SWMBO uses my laptop for her studies and little SWMBO ( five year old daughter) likes using mine too.

I fancy an apple but don't need the portability of a laptop so mini mac plugged in the back of a 47" plasma sounds a good idea. They look neat and small and would sit by the pc. I also like the look of their tracking pad a wireless keyboard.

Are they any good ?

I have a mid 2009 Core 2 Duo Mini Mac and I use it exactly the way you describe in my bedroom, DVI to HDMI adapter straight into my Samsung LED. I also take the audio out of the Mac to the audio in on the TV so my sound plays through the TV.

I also use the wireless track pad and keyboard, you also get a neat little remote control for the MiniMac.

With websites like CatchupTV and the on demand websites, also Plex media player I have plenty to watch and also have the convenience of a computer too.

Compact, powerfull and good looking.

Highly recommended!

even better you can use the ipad as a remote control for the mac mini. The itunes remote for ipad works like a dream, and theres remote HD that lets you take over the mac mini's desktop from the comfort of your sofa.

shrink said:
even better you can use the ipad as a remote control for the mac mini. The itunes remote for ipad works like a dream, and theres remote HD that lets you take over the mac mini's desktop from the comfort of your sofa.

Ohhhh...I havn't tried that, thanks!

Also, the video output is full HD 1080p:icon_razz:

jaycey said:
shrink said:

Ohhhh...I havn't tried that, thanks!

Also, the video output is full HD 1080p:icon_razz:

That does sound good that you can use the iPad asa remote and one of the things is that 1080p output.

Sorry pet hate, Mac Mini, not mini mac!

There great, and yes u can get full 1080 but the resolution is crap?? Why not get a 27" monitor and double the resolution?

There a good system I only use macs and love them.

mattyb240 said:
Sorry pet hate, Mac Mini, not mini mac!

There great, and yes u can get full 1080 but the resolution is crap?? Why not get a 27" monitor and double the resolution?

There a good system I only use macs and love them.

One of my main likes about them is putting it through the tv, and being tucked away. Fair comment on a 27" but then where to put it? I don't have the luxury of a study, the living room is a very tidy area we don't even eat in, but laptops etc are used there.

Would you not find a keyboard an mouse/trackpad intrusive? I would really recommend the trackpad, get to a store if you can.

The people there aren't on commission and really want u to get what's best for you. Maybe you could just get an apple tv an air play/mirror to tv instead?

mattyb240 said:
Would you not find a keyboard an mouse/trackpad intrusive? I would really recommend the trackpad, get to a store if you can.

The people there aren't on commission and really want u to get what's best for you. Maybe you could just get an apple tv an air play/mirror to tv instead?

I don't mind them sat on the coffee table, the keyboard and track pad look great.

I'm typing this on my Mac mini. I think it will be good for a lounge machine because they are near silent running meaning you can hear it running if you press your ear against the case. I'm well happy with mine the new ones have no optical drives no great loss haven't used one on a mac or pc in the last 5 years. and the lion os is geared up for track pad use, you can use any keyboard with it but I got the mac one so I did not have to worry about the mapping.

Just be warned once you've had Mac you never go back ;)

They are great little boxes, I can't justify one for my uses but I know a few people who are not numpties in multimedia and not fanboys either yet they swear by them.

If you have never used a mac before you'll be in for a treat. Apple has online how to videos on there site if you get stuck with anything. if you have lots of photos Iphoto will make short work of sorting them out with the facial recognition software once you've sorted them try viewing a few in a slide show then you will understand what the difference's between mac's and pc's are.

unfortunately theres no built in word processor but Apples version pages is fantastic and costs only £14 and makes ms word look over priced and out of date. if your are skint though there's open office for mac will do the trick its not pretty but it works.

Have fun now.

Back
Top Bottom