Mitchell's wool fat

Turns out MWF are just down the road from me in Bradford.
The kind of place you pass regularly, but never realised what they do until you come to a forum like this.
In the tradition of supporting local business, a puck is on it's way to me.
It will be interesting as a new DE shaver to see the difference between Palmolive and what is supposed to be one of the best (YMMV)...though Martin de Candre looks interesting with their unscented version...

I've got hard water here in Bucks and I struggle a little to lather it up but found face lathering seems to work well for me with this soap.
Tends to take longer to get this up and running but is lovely once lathered on the face.

Is this the best way to lather this soap?

I get a shedload of lather from it here in Essex as well. I bowl lather with a Omegas boar, just load plenty of product and add a good amount of water and it easily gets enough lather for two shaves.

Love the no nonsense soapy smell of it as well and the ceramic dish is a quality product. It's currently the only hard soap I use, prefering creams and Italian croaps.

Minipeace said:
I've got hard water here in Bucks and I struggle a little to lather it up but found face lathering seems to work well for me with this soap.
Tends to take longer to get this up and running but is lovely once lathered on the face.

It's certainly the way I lather it, and the way most users recommend. With hard water, the trick is to load the brush for at least a minute, then to add water gradually by dipping the brush tips and going back to lathering on the face.

I'm probably going to be harangued for saying this, but I wonder if some of the above reports of users in hard water users finding it easy to lather MWF are due to users seeing loads of frothy stuff and assuming that it's good lather. IME, it does produce a large volume of proto-lather, which is dry and foamy at first and then expands and goes wet and bubbly. Once I get to that stage, I find the best approach is to go against instinct which says that the lather is too wet, and actually add more water and keep working the lather on the face. As you do this, the lather thickens, smooths-out and develops a slight gloss, which is the sign that it's ready for shaving.

chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:

It's certainly the way I lather it, and the way most users recommend. With hard water, the trick is to load the brush for at least a minute, then to add water gradually by dipping the brush tips and going back to lathering on the face.

I'm probably going to be harangued for saying this, but I wonder if some of the above reports of users in hard water users finding it easy to lather MWF are due to users seeing loads of frothy stuff and assuming that it's good lather. IME, it does produce a large volume of proto-lather, which is dry and foamy at first and then expands and goes wet and bubbly. Once I get to that stage, I find the best approach is to go against instinct which says that the lather is too wet, and actually add more water and keep working the lather on the face. As you do this, the lather thickens, smooths-out and develops a slight gloss, which is the sign that it's ready for shaving.

Thanks Chris

I noticed lots of airy lather when whipping up on the soap which fooled me when I then tried to lather in a bowl.
I forgot to mention I whip it upside down in the hope the lather fills the brush.
I'm so use to a lathering bowl and this soap caught me off balance.
Sounds like I'm on the right track though, nice one and thanks again.

Minipeace said:
chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:

Thanks Chris

I noticed lots of airy lather when whipping up on the soap which fooled me when I then tried to lather in a bowl.
I forgot to mention I whip it upside down in the hope the lather fills the brush.
I'm so use to a lathering bowl and this soap caught me off balance.
Sounds like I'm on the right track though, nice one and thanks again.

Mark Herro (mantic59 himself) recommends loading the brush from the puck upside-down - my problem is that my hands are small and, as I use the MWF ceramic container rather than just buying a puck and putting it in some other form of containment, I'm at risk of dropping it if I try the upside-down method.:icon_rolleyes::angel:

WRT lather, I've uet to hear a convincing argument for airy froth being any good - it needs to be smooth, slightly glossy (extent of gloss varies between soaps) and creamy - the consistency should be somewhere between stiffly-whipped cream and meringue.

Thanks again Chris.
Yep I can relate to the slippery dish. I get a little worried as its a heavy little item.
I may have seen that video, in fact I'm sure I have as that's where I saw him whipping it upside down hence I followed in the hope of cracking this soap.

The MWF dish in full flow is as slippy as it gets IMO... I'm amazed I haven't dropped it yet. I tend to decant any excess into my trusty plastic bowl, then re-work the excess back into the puck for the second pass. I always do an element of face lathering with all my soaps (not creams)... even the soft soaps. Just a mixture of intuition and learned behaviour... until I get the "gloss"

Back
Top Bottom