Modern SS DEs.

I like my vintage razors and think the pinnacle in safety razors may have been reached many decades ago.
The modern mass produced DEs I've tried have offered nothing better than my vintage razors.
In fact, my five favourite DEs are all vintage.
I haven't tried a modern stainless DE. Do they merit the high price tag?

I've been DE shaving for about 5 years now. The first couple with a Merkur 34C then a variety of vintage Gillette's which I much preferred.

However earlier this year I bought a Rockwell 6S and only used a different razor a handful of times since. I seem to get a much closer shave with less irritation with it. I'm not saying it's because it's modern or SS but it just works for me? (I'm still "collecting" vintage ones though :D )

I don't have any vintage razors and the ones I'd buy (in pristine condition) are expensive.... £65+ and for that kind of money I will always go for a modern razor, my 4 ATT razors are great shavers and will stay in pristine condition in my life time, the Rockwell 6s is the best DE razor I own, it's not exactly a beauty but I could shave with it for the rest of my life and never look for another razor.... so I have no regrets really, vintage razors collector have driven the prices well above level that I'd be prepared to spend on a vintage razor, the vintage part has zero value to me as I'm not a vintage collector.
The day I can buy a pristine Gillete adjustable for about the same price I can buy a Merkur adjustable or the Varient, then I'll happily spend the money.

I don't have any vintage razors and the ones I'd buy (in pristine condition) are expensive.... £65+ and for that kind of money I will always go for a modern razor, my 4 ATT razors are great shavers and will stay in pristine condition in my life time, the Rockwell 6s is the best DE razor I own, it's not exactly a beauty but I could shave with it for the rest of my life and never look for another razor.... so I have no regrets really, vintage razors collector have driven the prices well above level that I'd be prepared to spend on a vintage razor, the vintage part has zero value to me as I'm not a vintage collector.
The day I can buy a pristine Gillete adjustable for about the same price I can buy a Merkur adjustable or the Varient, then I'll happily spend the money.
That day will never come, no longer in production and market forces . P.

I'm gonna be honest here. I can't afford many luxury items. I could buy a Ferrari but I'd have to live in it :p I have a couple of watches but not super expensive ones. I'm a working bloke and Pater didn't leave me an inheritance. I can however afford a few luxury Stainless Steel razors so regardless of whether a pre Boar war Gillette gets closer they will stay on Ebay. SS razors are my little treat that makes life worth living for me.

The weight (distribution) of modern SS razors is different, which also makes them shave different than most vintage razors.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

I do enjoy the Wolfman Razors , but I also enjoy R41 , R89 , and a few other non SS razors. I don't think SS razors are better by any means.They are nice to look at and certainly feel like a well manufactured tool in hand but as far as shave performance there is little to no difference either way.

I do enjoy the Wolfman Razors , but I also enjoy R41 , R89 , and a few other non SS razors. I don't think SS razors are better by any means.They are nice to look at and certainly feel like a well manufactured tool in hand but as far as shave performance there is little to no difference either way.
Agreed I love my ATT and Ikon due to the workmanship and finish. Although their shave performance it top league, you can get a similar performance from much cheaper non ss models.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

All true. What you're paying for with SS razors is the material and the workmanship, if you're purely after performance you'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere. That's not to say that my SS razors don't shave well, but they'd be just as good made from brass.

Not anywhere as experienced in the world of razors as most of you chaps but my experience of SS has equated to being aggressive. My Ikon being the ultimate fear factor item in the cabinet and the recently purchased Rocca being somewhat more than the SS R89 I was expecting.

Agree with Mr Hale SS doesn't necessarily mean performance. Give me a cheap (Zamac?) 89 and I am the happiest of bunnies to be shaved. Only the brass Seygus has given me the same friendly performance.

SS handles, now this is a different ball game as I do like weight in handle. There is just something confidence inspiring about them.

Not anywhere as experienced in the world of razors as most of you chaps but my experience of SS has equated to being aggressive. My Ikon being the ultimate fear factor item in the cabinet and the recently purchased Rocca being somewhat more than the SS R89 I was expecting.

Agree with Mr Hale SS doesn't necessarily mean performance. Give me a cheap (Zamac?) 89 and I am the happiest of bunnies to be shaved. Only the brass Seygus has given me the same friendly performance.

SS handles, now this is a different ball game as I do like weight in handle. There is just something confidence inspiring about them.
You need to try the ATT M1 or S1 (slant) both are mild, milder than the R89, well made and sexy, if that word can be used for a razor, I think it can. :D

I shall pencil it in to get sexier then.

I guess what I would like is an SS which offers the same as an 89 but when I think about it the 89 delivers what I need at a lesser cost

Back
Top Bottom