Mongoose V Vintage SE ?

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
Now the Mongoose has landed, in UK. I wondered apart from looks,and the fact that it is S/S,
it compares with the the 1914/1924, Streamline etc.in terms of performance.

Reading SOTD,blade life seems good,but how does the shave compare with the oldies.
Just had a lovely shave on 1914 [becoming my favourite , MMOC to try yet].

mpf9ret said:
Now the Mongoose has landed, in UK. I wondered apart from looks,and the fact that it is S/S,

Reading SOTD,blade life seems good,but how does the shave compare with the oldies.

From my brief (and still learning) experience thus far with the Mongoose, it outperforms the various Ever Ready and other old SEs that I have, with the sole exception of my Valets.

The reason to me seems fairly obvious. It's the blades!

I use the Personna SS Gem type blades in the old models, which, whilst they do a good job, are harsh for the first shave and, to me, unacceptably blunt by about the fourth.

For the Valets, I use the expensive but typically efficient Feather FHS-5 blades, and these are far superior to the Personnas for sharpness, comfort and longevity. These razors therefore performed as well as the Mongoose now does.

I haven't used my Mongoose long enough to be able to comment on their longevity, but the Feather Pro blade I'm using produces a first-class 2-pass shave without trouble. It's smooth and sharp, straight out of the dispenser.

Sorting out the right angle for the Mongoose has been the most important thing. I started using it in the Ever Ready "Natural Angle" style, which didn't work well at all but I'm getting there.

I should also say that I'm primarily a DE user nowadays, and the Mongoose has a lot of the characteristics of a nice heavy stainless DE, and thus feels immediately natural to me in the hand.

I use the Mongoose with a Feather Pro for the first two passes and then touch up with a 12/14/Streamline etc. I find the Gems easier to manoeuvre for finishing. This is the best combination for me.

I'm loathed to try one ... I really did not like the shaves from Feather Artist Club and those long Feather blades. I don't much like injectors, either, perhaps it's the narrow blades?

I absolutely LOVE the shaves from pretty much anything from the GEM & Ever Ready stable, Contour included.

Performance? Well, I rather fancied that the Feather shaves were too close. If that translates as better performance, well, so be it. For me, it's a recipe for irritation and ingrowers.

Looks? Give me a lather catcher any time :D The 'goose does not scream out "BUY ME!!! BUY ME!!!" to me, but the BornSharp does - now what is a good looker!

Cost? Bang for your buck, the 1912 pips everything. Heck, even the Streamline is cheap compared!

While you might be detecting that I'm not a fan ... and yes, I have not used a 'goose, I would be interested to try ... perhaps once.

Used my Goose for 4 shaves and am impressed.
I would place it in between a 1912 and the Streamline for efficiency and closeness of shave.

Its a great every day razor, that gives no irritation and a comfortable, easy DFS. The wider blade gives a faster shave too.

The streamline is my weekend razor that gives an effortless BBS shave, but if I used it everyday, I'd get a bit of irritation on my neck, and the occasional ingrown hair.

If you can afford it, get a Goose. If not buy a 1912

Ferrum said:
mpf9ret said:

From my brief (and still learning) experience thus far with the Mongoose, it outperforms the various Ever Ready and other old SEs that I have, with the sole exception of my Valets.

The reason to me seems fairly obvious. It's the blades!

I use the Personna SS Gem type blades in the old models, which, whilst they do a good job, are harsh for the first shave and, to me, unacceptably blunt by about the fourth.

For the Valets, I use the expensive but typically efficient Feather FHS-5 blades, and these are far superior to the Personnas for sharpness, comfort and longevity. These razors therefore performed as well as the Mongoose now does.

I haven't used my Mongoose long enough to be able to comment on their longevity, but the Feather Pro blade I'm using produces a first-class 2-pass shave without trouble. It's smooth and sharp, straight out of the dispenser.

Sorting out the right angle for the Mongoose has been the most important thing. I started using it in the Ever Ready "Natural Angle" style, which didn't work well at all but I'm getting there.

I should also say that I'm primarily a DE user nowadays, and the Mongoose has a lot of the characteristics of a nice heavy stainless DE, and thus feels immediately natural to me in the hand.
Must get some blades to Test Valet VC 2, which i have not used yet.Seems maybe a lot
of DE shavers have got the Mongoose.

Back
Top Bottom