More Method Shaving lunacy

This really ought to be in "General Shaving", but I reckon that every video Charles Roberts has ever produced is an unintentional comic gem, so I've posted it here.:angel:

Incredibly, for the first few minutes, he actually makes sense (I suppose there's a first time for everything:icon_rolleyes:); but, from about 4:40, everything goes back to the usual nonsense.:icon_razz:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzczWiQumfw&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

I agree with you. I have watched in the last for a giggle.

A good one was when he was using his stuff with the new Muhle synthetics. The amount of mess he makes on him is quite funny.

What amuses me is that, by completely misrepresenting and mis-characterising traditional shaving, he couldn't fail to me his overly-complicated technique sound better. To suggest that a traditional lather doesn't allow you to have direct contact between blade and skin for fear of cutting yourself is so laughable as to render any other theories or advice he may offer unreliable.

He's really rather infamous; his "Method" is loved by many devoted users of his products, but many more are put-off by his "faith-healer" style and use of OTT terminology to describe very simple ideas or processes. He's been discussed here before; I recall Henk describing the "Hydrolast" products by simply reading ingredient lists. You'd have to ask him for his detailed analysis, but, IIRC, his impression was that Roberts had divided the components of a high-quality soap or cream between multiple different products, inventing procedures and techniques which relied on varying combinations of these products, thus obscuring the fact that you could replace them all with a single soap or cream.

Fantastic! Now I know what I am doing wrong.

What I'm supposed to do is accept my razor to tug and pull on every single beard strand on my face, while leaving something like 1-3 mm of stubble left depending on the razor. This is his newest equation: "brush + soap/cream = you want to have a weeks worth of stubble on your face".

Previously I have given this dude some leeway, after all his products could be good. I don't know, I've never tried them. Most of us haven't, because his style is a little off putting.

But now, I'd like to punch this condecending a**hole in the mouth.

What a lot of bull!

/Max

IanM said:
From about 5 seconds in, I could tell that this bloke had no clue.

Er er er, ah, take this cap, and ah, this... this groove here, this is kind of an apparatus... it's ah called a safety bar, ur, um, but I'll er call it er, blade gap aperture, because erm, erm, erm, it puts a gap between erm, erm, the blade and the skin erm,

Have to agree with you Ian, he hasn't a clue what he's going on about.

My guess is that he failed at conventional DE shaving, so had to invent a way to enable him to attain decent results. Maybe he convinced himself that his technique was the greatest thing since sliced white, thus convincing him to market the products and persuade people to not only buy them, but buy into a convoluted "method" with excessive jargon which has the effect of adding crucial mystique.

What the. Why I don't even. I know less about shaving having watched some of this.

In all honesty he could be right about the blade not making contact, if you're using expanding building foam and have allowed it to set.

Charles always makes me laugh and his 'forms' videos are cringeworthy.

He's quite clearly a fruitcake but he has plenty of disciples who pray at his feet and keep him in Ralph Lauren shirts.

An iron should be the next thing on his shopping list though.

Back
Top Bottom