Morning from Hereford...

The wind has dropped, the sun is shining and there's a dusting of frost just melting off the hedges...

...and I'm enjoying the feeling of another fine DE shave, and like many who've posted here, I'm asking myself, "Why did I wait so long?"

Well for over 20 years I grew a beard - that's one reason... I used to use a DE razor in my late teens, and then I think I used a Philishave electric for a short while (felt like my face had been savaged by a Flymo). Some years ago I shaved off the beard and took up wet shaving again - Trumper's Oil of Limes Soap, Edwin Jagger best badger brush, and a Wilkinson Sword Protector 3D razor - not a bad shave, but it always felt like there was something missing.

I realised what that missing something was the other day when I had my second or third shave from my Merkur Futur razor. In a word: feedback. Whatever I did with the Protector 3D, I always got the same, average, shave - there's nothing to it. With the Merkur, there's an instant feedback between the care and attention I take and the shave I get. For me, it's a bit like riding a motorcycle - let your attention drop and it can all get rather messy.

I'm torn by the Futur - I like the idea of it, but the execution leaves a little to be desired - mine suffers from the unequal blade gap that I've heard some other Merkurs also fall prey to - so I think it's going back. Never mind, I have an Edwin Jagger DE89BL on the way... and I've been looking with bad intentions at the Feather All Stainless...

You know, DE razors can be as addictive as wristwatches...

Have a great morning,

Michael

Blimey, Hereford!! Ah the Wednesday evenings (grab-a-granny night) spent in the Crystal Rooms aka Shag 'n' Shuffle in the late 80's. If
I had a penny for every pint in the Travellers Rest or The Restoration and one in the town centre - The Bull? I would have about 112 pence. :)

As for running up and down bloody Credenhill :evil:

Oh, that's right, welcome. ;)

moodymick said:
Blimey, Hereford!! Ah the Wednesday evenings (grab-a-granny night) spent in the Crystal Rooms aka Shag 'n' Shuffle in the late 80's. If
I had a penny for every pint in the Travellers Rest or The Restoration and one in the town centre - The Bull? I would have about 112 pence. :)

As for running up and down bloody Credenhill :evil:

Oh, that's right, welcome. ;)
And don't forget The Grapes, The Pippin, The Ulu Bar and the sad thing is I cannot remember the one that had a bar in the vault - so many pubs in Hereford :D
(Edit) And of course - The Bowling Green, my favourite, next door to the Litchfield Vaults formerly known as the Pippin.
And not once did I ever meet a local who drank cider!
And welcome aboard Michael - how nice to live in that splendid Cathedral city!

Hello Michael

Welcome. I had a beard from 18 to 28, shaved it off - no one noticed! Except my boss. He said, "Now you have shaved it off, keep it off. When going for interviews you will come across people who will be sceptical about people with beards." This was in the early 70s. How times have changed. Or have they?

Enjoy the forum.

hunnymonster said:
moodymick said:
... a den of inequity :eek:

Full of sponging bastards? :lol:

Dear Pedant,

Yes, actually. People with no jobs, long hair, poor taste in music (I believe the Michael Schenker Group were much appreciated - cue CheeseDave reaching for his iPod :roll: ;) ) and an overwhelming scent of Patchouli Oil, so thickly applied you could almost miss the unmistakable scent of Poppers & Weed - apparently :?

Fido said:
Hello Michael

When going for interviews you will come across people who will be sceptical about people with beards." This was in the early 70s. How times have changed. Or have they?
I have a number of clients who don't favour male job applicants with beards, long hair, ear piercings, wrong attire etc.
Even wearing after shave can sometimes go against a candidate in an interview.
Things haven't changed as much as people like to believe they have. I could go deeper on this but wont.
I spend a lot of time prepping candidates for interview and cover all of the above in some detail with them,,its surprising the things that can cost someone a job offer.
regards, beejay

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :D

Hereford is indeed a lovely city, blessed with many fine hostelries, and butchers also (the finest smoked bacon I know comes from Hereford). Credenhill is familiar to me, too - I went for a walk there just the other weekend. Now that a lot of the conifer trees have been cleared from the top, the views over to the Black Mountains have really opened up, and you can really get an understanding that it is one of the largest iron-age hillforts in Britain.

As for pubs, my watering hole of choice is the Volunteer - a bit quieter than the city centre pubs.

Back
Top Bottom