Morning!

Another noob here.

A long time brush and bowl user, my Vulfix 404 (a luckily good purchase, it seems, from John Lewis over 11 years ago) finally gave up the ghost and, unable to find a good brush on the high street, I started looking on the internet. I ended up getting a Bluebeard's Revenge pure badger (which I'm enjoying and is working well with the John Lewis soap bowl refill) but also discovered that DE shaving is alive and kicking...

I got my EJ89 last Saturday, put a Tesco blade in it on Sunday and have shaved with it every day since then. I stuck to one-pass until today, when I did two-pass and got a shave that is closer than the one-pass that I used to do with my Mach3. I also got my first weeper today, which could be that the blade is getting dull but probably means I'm beginning to get a bit complacent!

Anyway, hi!

_

Welcome to TSR Underscore...Oh Yeah..DE Shaving is very much alive and kicking....

Have you tried other blades apart from the Tesco ones?...I personally am not overly struck on them....but find the Gillette Greens and Yellows are very good.....also my favourite.. Feathers....

If you have the time...The Ritual of a three soaping's.. three pass.....WTG..XTG...ATG shave is a very luxurious way to start the day........You just might get comments from the other half about how much time you spend in the bathroom..Ha Ha.

Thanks all for the welcome.

GOLDCREST said:
Welcome to TSR Underscore...Oh Yeah..DE Shaving is very much alive and kicking....

Have you tried other blades apart from the Tesco ones?...I personally am not overly struck on them....but find the Gillette Greens and Yellows are very good.....also my favourite.. Feathers....

If you have the time...The Ritual of a three soaping's.. three pass.....WTG..XTG...ATG shave is a very luxurious way to start the day........You just might get comments from the other half about how much time you spend in the bathroom..Ha Ha.

I've only tried the one Tesco blade so far. I bought them to start with as they seem better regarded than the Derbys that come with the razor. I figured that I would learn some basic technique with them before trying the Derbys and possibly getting a blade selection... though I'm slightly wary of turning an enjoyable 5 minutes in the morning into a never-ending search for perfection!

I might try the 3 pass shave at weekends, if my skin is up to it. It is pretty sensitive and the Mach3 with brush and bowl was the first shave that I could have every day without feeling sore afterwards. It's taken a few shaves to adjust the strokes with the DE such that I don't fell sore after a single pass - doing two pass this morning, it was tender for a while afterwards, though it feels fine now. Hopefully, as my technique improves a two pass shave will become more comfortable and I may be able to give a three pass a try...

Cheers,

_

Hello and welcome to TSR.

Of course you do realise that you have taken the first steps on a very slippery slope? Since I found this forum in September, I have purchased 6 double edge and 3 single edge razors, never mind the plethora of soaps and creams, so beware!

Cheers,

Gordon :icon_razz:

Hi underscore, welcome to TSR, sounds like you're well on the way. That second pass will become the norm in short order, it doesn't take long for your skin to get back to good condition once the multiblades are in the past, I bet your skin will feel less sensitive soon. Enjoy.

Hello to you and welcome, I would get yourself a decent selection sample pack of blades, i'm not to sure on the tesco blades myself, I know they say they are rebranded better known make but I personally dont like them, and as far as using one blade all week well again not to sure if that's a good idea, I will only use a blade four times regardless if I think it will go another shave or not, this is a good way for me not to get to the stage where I have to say during the shave this blade as had it's day, it works for me hope this helps you in some way.

Regards Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
as far as using one blade all week well again not to sure if that's a good idea, I will only use a blade four times regardless if I think it will go another shave or not

To be fair, today has only taken the blade to 6 passes and, since I sport a goatee and sideburns, each pass is little more than half a real pass - so it has really only just snuck past a single full three-pass shave. I'm reckoning on changing the blade each weekend unless it feels like it's getting dull before then.

And, as for the rest of the welcome posts, I'm repeating to myself: I don't need more than one razor/brush/soap. We'll see how long that lasts! :icon_lol:

_

Back
Top Bottom