Motorbikes anyone?

I've decided to ditch the Burgman and go back to "proper" biking and really fancy a TDM 900 only thing is I've only got short legs - yes they do reach the ground. Tried a TDM for size today and was surprised to find I can only just get the balls of both feet on the ground. If I lean it very slightly I can get 1 foot flat, I'm not sure how I'll cope so a rethink might be in order.

The more I ride the Guzzi the more I realise what great fun and 'being a part of' biking is. More folk last Sunday asking Guzzi questions and passing kind comments than at any other time. What a fantastic bunch you all are.

F***ing bikes!

Just about got a couple of miles away from work last night, threw a left turn, got five bloody yards and there was a 'clunk' and the bugger died on me. Had to call recovery out and the RAC guy turns up at 6:45 in a little van. I asked him WTF is going on as I'd clearly told the numpty on the phone that there was no way this bike was getting started at the roadside and needed to be picked up and driven home ....... He absolutely sympathised, but it's RAC policy apparently to send someone out to 'assess' the vehicle first, then send a recovery vehicle out.

So I finally got the bike back in the garage at 8:15 ..... at least the recovery lad was a damn sight quicker than the RAC call out. Now I've got to wait until Saturday to start pulling it apart to see what's gone wrong.

F***ing bikes!

Cheers, Tom ....... I'm hoping so.

I had a jam session booked with a few of the lads at our local studio this evening, but there's enough of them turning up that they won't need me so I've cried off. I should be able to get the plastics, seat, tank and airbox off the bugger in half an hour so I can get the plugs out and start hand cranking it. I should at least have an idea of what's going on in there tonight.

I've decided to ditch the Burgman and go back to "proper" biking and really fancy a TDM 900 only thing is I've only got short legs - yes they do reach the ground. Tried a TDM for size today and was surprised to find I can only just get the balls of both feet on the ground. If I lean it very slightly I can get 1 foot flat, I'm not sure how I'll cope so a rethink might be in order.
As long as you can get one foot flat on the ground, it should work.

Only just spotted this thread. A bit out of touch these days.

This was my story. It sparked a lot of contributions.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...-cycle-for-a-mature-gentleman-dont-laugh.737/

I sold my Guzzi a couple of years back. I had a rheumatic illness that made it impossible to handle the bike. I'm fully recovered now. But my biking days are over. I'm at an age where I'm not going to push my luck - apart from risking the aches and pains of competitive table tennis.

Whosthedaddy i just read your post and see you've got a monkey bike,i've had bikes since i was 16,and about 11 years ago in got into monkey bikes and sold off my big bikes,and never looked back,do you ever go on monkey bike runs ?

@tomj777

Not a nailed down diagnosis as yet, but all my tests and added symptoms so far are all pointing toward the head gasket having blown between cylinders. When I had the airbox off, I noticed it had a bit of fuel in it ...... and trying to turn it over there is fuel vapour blowing back out of the carb inlets on cylinders 1&2, suggesting that there is exhaust pressure leaking across cylinders causing it to push the fuel out, as opposed to the required vacuum.

Of course, I can't absolutely know this until I run a compression test on the cylinders ......... and, of all things, I don't have the 10mm adapter I need to fit my compression gauge to the bike, so I'll have to wait until that arrives tomorrow. There's a rule that petrol engines need four things to fire: Fuel, Air, Compression and Spark. I know for a fact I'm getting three out of four. The compression test will confirm what I already (fairly confidently) suspect. If it doesn't, I'll be bloody stumped :D

All in all...... Head gasket is a fairly hairy job, but not that daunting if you're used to doing your own mechanics. I'd rather not have to do it at all, mind you ..... but I will go blowing up my motorbike ........

The adage that comes to mind is Knowledge is Power. In this case, alas, is it's only partly true as you, we both suspect, also need squeeze. The head gasket is time consuming but not insurmountable (unless you're me and have a reputation such that one no longer has permission from friends or family to play).

Good luck and keep those knuckles unscathed.

Back
Top Bottom