Mr Taylor, T+H Grafton

I've got a tub of Mr Taylor and just tried a sample of the Grafton. Is it ne or are they very, very similar?

Maybe the Grafton is a bit more cushioning, but it is much more expensive. The Mr Taylor may smell a bit fruitier, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, just an observation. Anyone else think the same?

Yes, for me they are also very similar, other than the price, the Taylors is much cheaper. I got the Grafton from TGS a while back when they were offering two tubes for the price of one. Probably the best scented cream I've tried.

T+H and Taylors both swear blind that they do not have their creams manufactured by the same company but I'm convinced there's a lot of smoke and mirrors being used by both companies. They're both made in the UK and as far as I know there is one UK manufacturer of shaving cream on that sort of scale (obviously leaving out the smaller producers like The Prof) and that's Creightons.

I'm a regular user of both creams (in differing flavours admittedly) but I'm convinced that they come out of the same factory. No bad thing, because either way you look at it they're bloody good creams.

I can't comment on the scent of Mr Taylor's vs Grafton as I've never done a side by side, but I have done direct comparison with the lavender creams from both stables and they were identical, performance wise. They smell different, and T+H's cream is a lighter colour, but that'll happen when you have differing customer specs.

My own conclusion (and I don't think I'm alone) is that it's the same base cream.

Definitely, I would probably throw Trumpers and D R Harris in there too, as well as a few others like Body Shop.

On a related similarity has anyone compared the T&H 1805 to the Taylors St James? Very similar again, to me at least.

PavlovsDog said:
I've smelled the Jermyn Street and Grafton side by side and find they are quite similar.

Scratch that. I have now sniffed the Mr Taylor's (not side by side though) and the first thing I thought was it was almost identical to Grafton.

I read in a few places that the cream bases for T&H, Trumper and TOBS come from a company called Creighton's. The scents are the respective company's formulations. They must have individual specs though, as ingredients and proportions of them, differ. I don't find the performance of any of them to differ though.

AFAIK Harris make all their own stuff.

Drubbing said:

Do you know this for certain, have Harris told you this themselves, or is this what you've heard speculated? I'm not being critical of your post, I'm just interested in knowing how you found this out.

Thanks

bcl501 said:
Drubbing said:

Do you know this for certain, have Harris told you this themselves, or is this what you've heard speculated? I'm not being critical of your post, I'm just interested in knowing how you found this out.

Thanks

Course I don't know for sure, neither do we know opposite, but unlike the other makers who say nothing til pressed on it, Harris actually state their position, that being:

"The majority of our products are still produced by traditional methods, being hand-made and packed in our own premises in London."

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, if the product is great I'll buy it. I much prefer Harris soaps to anything Trumper has come up with, and given they're the only ones left to use tallow, I think it's a safe bet they're making it themselves. THe cream? Who knows, so even if the base is from elsewhere - no one else has anything like Arlington.

Drubbing said:
"The majority of our products are still produced by traditional methods, being hand-made and packed in our own premises in London."

They certainly are cagey when you ask them these type of questions; and the above quote is a little ambiguous, their products are hand-made (I'm not disputing that), but they are probably 'only' packed at their London premises as opposed to them being made there as well (although we can't say for certain either way). I do enjoy my Harris products very much, so as long as they keep up this quality (unlike some), I'll keep on buying them.

bcl501 said:
They certainly are cagey when you ask them these type of questions; and the above quote is a little ambiguous, their products are hand-made (I'm not disputing that), but they are probably 'only' packed at their London premises as opposed to them being made there as well (although we can't say for certain either way).

Well, one person in Taylor's was cagey. I'm not really fussed whether Harris handmakes on or off the premises, I'm making a reasonable assumption they still make their own, given they haven't ditched tallow, as all the others have. Those in the know, know damn well the 3Ts don't make their own creams and soaps.

This is not necessarily a bad thing; economies of scale in doing this probably ensures their commercial survival, it remains a niche market after all. But to lead people to assume they're small family companies carrying on an old tradition is another thing. At least Harris are nailing their colours to the mast.

To be honest, I don't really care what goes on behind the scenes and who does or doesn't make what.

I'm just interested in the final product on the shelves at Face Value - if I like a cream performance and scent wise I'll use it, if I don't I won't. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom