Mr. Taylor's Shaving Cream

http://www.taylorofoldbondstreet.com/acatalog/Mr-Taylor-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-150g-J01008.html#SID=32

I snagged a bowl of this recently at an Indian store and must say it is really something. Easily the thickest & creamiest shave cream or soap that I have used. Top shelf, for sure. I passed on the Sandalwood and another whose name I forget. The scent of a soap or cream is about as important to me as the color of my toilet paper. :rolleyes: After all, you wash it off and use aftershave when done.

As a side note, he also had a few tubes of Dettol Fresh shave cream and I bought one. Not a bad daily shaver type cream at all. Not in the same league as the Taylor's, but very serviceable. ;)

I like TOBS creams, they perform and smell great. I thought apart from Jermyn Street(Black tub for sensitive skin) all the creams are same formula but different smell.

I initially thought this as well. Infact they are probably all produced the same via Creighton, apart from the relevant scent oils used. These themselves have specific properties. It took 6 months of trying each scent against another for me to choose Avocado over the others(performance). Scent wise Eton and Mr Taylors are my favourites.

It seems the post shave varies across the range. Jermyn causes myself to get a rash. Grapefruit (drying EO) and lemon & lime leave my skin very dry. Eton college if too concentrated (must be citrus EO) can also cause drying. Avocado, almond and coconut were the best in post shave IMO.

I had the Sandalwood as my first ever proper shave cream but found it had a tendency to cause a tingling type irritation. I know others have experienced the same thing, but has anyone gone on to try alternative scents and found them to be ok?

Just wondered because it was a lovely shave cream

I had the Sandalwood as my first ever proper shave cream but found it had a tendency to cause a tingling type irritation. I know others have experienced the same thing, but has anyone gone on to try alternative scents and found them to be ok?

Just wondered because it was a lovely shave cream
Hi Smiler I had the same issue, I had to use more water and little product. Still produced good lather and only slight tingle. The Avocado and Mr. Taylors don't cause me any tingle or irritation.

Used continuously and that tingle will become a rash! I agree they are great creams but I PIFd all mine because of that skin reaction - to all creams, no matter the scent though sandalwood was the worst.

Last edited:
Just as a side note if you pick up some Vicco at a fraction of the cost. The resulting lather knocks TOBS of its pertinent post.
Mr. Taylors a/s on the other hand is a true gem.

Last edited:
Yeah I love TOBS creams. They seem to have a more 'mousse' consistency too so easier to lather up when it's been sitting there for a while. A lot of creams become almost solid after sitting in a drawer for a while.

In fact the Shaving Shop cream is my favourite. Although I just checked the TOBS site, noticed they have released a new cream (Cedarwood) but Shaving Shop is now nowhere to be seen. I take it that means it has been discontinued and I need to find a new favourite :(

Yeah I love TOBS creams. They seem to have a more 'mousse' consistency too so easier to lather up when it's been sitting there for a while. A lot of creams become almost solid after sitting in a drawer for a while.

In fact the Shaving Shop cream is my favourite. Although I just checked the TOBS site, noticed they have released a new cream (Cedarwood) but Shaving Shop is now nowhere to be seen. I take it that means it has been discontinued and I need to find a new favourite :(
You can still find it on ebay, see item 371398195129

Back
Top Bottom