Muhle R41 tips please

In a moment of weakness I ordered myself a Muhle R41, I know this has a bit of a reputation for aggression, and so if you have any hits and tips I would like to hear them.

Thanks
Norky

Treat it with a load more respect than you have done anything else!
Don't use any pressure whatsoever, let the weight of the razor do the work.
I'm relatively new to all of this (6 months) but even until recently found I really had to take care of what I was doing in order to not make the bathroom look like a homicide scene. By contrast I can shave effectively with my DE89 or progress (even on number 6) with ease in comparison. In the end I just decided life was easier not having something so aggressive so I have just sold mine to Cruciate but as ever with this hobby ymmv.

It's pretty simple to use, in short: Forget the actual angle you use now and adapt your technique to a much shallower one.
Hold the razor so that the top cap only is touching the skin, with the blade flat or parallel to your face, (handle at 90 degrees to the face) then rotate it slightly so that the blade only just touches skin, that's about the right angle.
I think standard DE shaving needs somewhere around a 30-40 degree angle, an R41 needs probably 15-20 degrees... too sharp an angle of attack is what gets those people on YouTube all sore and bloody. The top cap is quite flat so what you get is a very big exposure of very straight (as opposed to curved) blade, it's been described as the closest thing to shaving with a shavette or straight with a handle fitted.

Finally make sure your lather and prep are good, and it'll all be fine; You'll get rid of 3 days of stubble in one easy pass, then you just need some careful touch ups. It's a seriously good fun razor.

Used mine this morning for the first time, quite a rough shave with a minor nick on my lip, I think you need the head at a steeper angle than usual, however I did get a DFS with just 2 passes, WTG then XTG.

I'm looking forward to giving it a bash again tomorrow. My usual and only other razor is a Muhle R89, worlds apart.

Canuck said:
It's pretty simple to use, in short: Forget the actual angle you use now and adapt your technique to a much shallower one.
Hold the razor so that the top cap only is touching the skin, with the blade flat or parallel to your face, (handle at 90 degrees to the face) then rotate it slightly so that the blade only just touches skin, that's about the right angle.
I think standard DE shaving needs somewhere around a 30-40 degree angle, an R41 needs probably 15-20 degrees... too sharp an angle of attack is what gets those people on YouTube all sore and bloody. The top cap is quite flat so what you get is a very big exposure of very straight (as opposed to curved) blade, it's been described as the closest thing to shaving with a shavette or straight with a handle fitted.

Finally make sure your lather and prep are good, and it'll all be fine; You'll get rid of 3 days of stubble in one easy pass, then you just need some careful touch ups. It's a seriously good fun razor.

+1
The only other thing I will add is take your time and dont be afraid of it. Oh, and dont use too sharp a blade in it to start off with. I have been using Astra sp blades with good results.
It is a cracking razor and once you learning to use it you will get great result.

Daz

Used mine for the second time today and I'm loving it, yes it's aggressive and it can be a bit scratchy to begin with, just like a straight but I wish I had bought this as my second razor as I'd have saved myself a small fortune in razors that have been too mild for me, even my Feather AS -D1 which I traded for a straight.
I'm using an Astra SP blade and still doing three passes, but even a two pass WTG and ATG would have sufficed but that's just me being fussy, I've had the odd weep but no more than I get with an aggressive shave with my 34c which may now be consigned to ebay lol.

Last Sunday I managed one and a half passes and had to finish my shave off with my 34C HD as I could not get on well around my Adam's apple area.

I may give it one more and see how I get on with it before trying to sell it on.

I know that some people get on well with it, but I didn't and IMO DE shaving should be enjoyable and not something where I am worried about nicking myself.

It's a shame really as the rest of the shave was lovely and close.

Adam D said:
Last Sunday I managed one and a half passes and had to finish my shave off with my 34C HD as I could not get on well around my Adam's apple area.

I may give it one more and see how I get on with it before trying to sell it on.

I know that some people get on well with it, but I didn't and IMO DE shaving should be enjoyable and not something where I am worried about nicking myself.

It's a shame really as the rest of the shave was lovely and close.
I'd persevere for a bit longer, It will be worth it in the long run

I'd give it a good few goes certainly, I nearly gave up on mine after a couple of shaves because I couldn't get the hang of it but it fell into place very suddenly, maybe fourth go?
Importantly, note that it's not a daily shaver for a lot of guys, great for a really hairy face but it might be harsh used every day unless your skin is tough. See Geofatboy's R41 video for an example of rhino skin. :)

+ 1 on Canucks advice about the angle.....and +1 on the Astra Sp's.......fine blades for this razor.

My first shave or two felt as though I'd been sandpapered..very rough sandpaper at that................
Then One morning... perfection...everything just came together and I had the smoothest, gentlest, closest shave ever...don't be scared of it, but DO show it some respect and pay attention to zero pressure and the blade angle the whole time you're using it....

Had shave no 3 with it today, it was a bit rushed because of the women in the house:icon_lol: but still a good close shave, I've got a tiny rash to one side of the adams apple and by the side of the lip but otherwise no problem. Will I be able to use it everyday? we will see.

Oddly enough, I've never being able to get along with open combed razors. Then, I made the jump to straights and in a moment of insanity bought an R41.

I tried it and loved it and now none of my other razors get a look in. Like others I always pair it with an Astra SP but I use it every other day. It really does seem to be a bit of a Marmite razor though and certainly not for everyone. Personally, it's become my new precious.

I made the mistake of using one of the Astra stainless steel blades the other day and that didn't go quite as well... The R41 didn't like that at all...not one bit...and it didn't waste any time letting me know either.

I'm going to feed it a Personna tomorrow and if it likes that, I'll see what it makes of a NOS Gillette Bleue.

Gulp...

antdad said:
When you're done try an SE, they allow the blade to be held at a similarly shallow angle but are actually designed for that purpose.

I took that advice and it's the best thing I ever did (shaving wise) Put the head of your R41 in the back of some drawer and pretend you never bought it, use the handle, which I think is superb on an efficient but kinder razor head ie a 'New'.

Regards Dick.

Back
Top Bottom