Muhle R41

From my experience it feels more like the feel of a straight where you can literally feel the blade on your face.

When used with care, it's a great shaver.

What Isaiah53 said - and I'd add it demands care and respect. Not my favourite as I like slants a whole bunch better and have an agressive Parker 3-piece (is there another kind?) that gets in even closer.

Bechet45 said:
What Isaiah53 said - and I'd add it demands care and respect. Not my favourite as I like slants a whole bunch better and have an agressive Parker 3-piece (is there another kind?) that gets in even closer.

How does it compare to a slant?

I find the R41 works really well as a head shaver and have been tempted by the idea of a slant but have never pursued it.

Also, what Parker 3-piece are you referring to (I am on the whole quite unfamiliar with Parker as a brand never having owned one).

Have a Merkur slant. Also a nice razor. Large head. Good shaver. Takes less concentration than the 41. Both are nice ,once experienced. I'd buy both again.

I don't think the R41 has a reputation for gore as such, (mine's only drawn a tiny nick once), it's more of a reputation of needing a good degree of respect. You can easily end up with a raw feeling if the angle isn't adjusted from other more benign razors. Just go shallow and feel your way around more.

I'd agree with Dipesh, you literally feel the blade on your face which can be disconcerting, but they do shave remarkably well when used with care.

I'm also a slant user by the way, and like Johnus I find you can be a lot more cavalier with one once you've used an R41. The slant slices nicely at most angles whereas the R41 demands a precise angle, otherwise it scrapes.

ajc347 said:
Bechet45 said:

Also, what Parker 3-piece are you referring to (I am on the whole quite unfamiliar with Parker as a brand never having owned one).

My guess is that all and any Parker 3-piece is aggressive, based on two out of two in my collection. In thhe othher hand, both my Parker TTOs are very mild.

Slants and an R41 don't compare - different beasts. I'd say, once you can handle an R41 you can handle all else as well. I made a complete pig's ear of it the first I tried an R41, through ignorance and lack of experience but a month later handled it successfully - felt competent to try anything after that.

Just shaved with it using pamper cafe shaving soap and a good italian brush , it felt light in the hand , and gave me a good close shave , slightly better than my Edwin jagger , it didn't feel as smooth on the skin though , but not as harsh as my old open comb razors , overall very impressed

Back
Top Bottom