My DE Upgrade

B

bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

Last Christmas my girlfriend got me what I think is a Ming Shi Razor that came in a set with brush, soap etc. from Amazon. I am converted to DE razors and I am still shocked at how cheap this method is compared to horrid Mach 3, fusions etc.

I wanted to invest a little more money in a decent razor and so have gone for a Merkur Futur, barely used on ebay for £35. I am aware that adjustable razors can be tricky but up for the challenge.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and I am sure you will see me about the forum asking lots of questions

Hi and welcome to TSR

I don't know anything about Futurs, but I suspect you'll be fine if you stick to a low setting until you get used to it. Half the fun is getting something new and slicing yourself up with it anyway

WiffWaff said:
Hi and welcome to TSR

I don't know anything about Futurs, but I suspect you'll be fine if you stick to a low setting until you get used to it. Half the fun is getting something new and slicing yourself up with it anyway

haha thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Is there a guide on here to technique, products etc?

Hi, welcome to the forum. The futur is a great razor. Set it on number 1 and leave it on that for the first few weeks.
Have a search on YouTube for Mantic59. Plenty of helpful videos there.
If you browse around here you should get some idea of what people use regularly, there is plenty to choose from.

There's also some useful information on the "important threads" bit at the start of each section... start in the menu and work down. Also, I quite like looking at the SOTD thread (shave of the day) seeing what everyone's using... and sometimes some great pics.

You can use the search function if you want information on any particular product

Hi and welcome. The Futur is a first class razor. I use mine regularly in rotation with other razors and always enjoy the quality and closeness of the shave. As always let the weight of the razor do the work more especially with this heavy beast of a razor. I now normally leave mine at the 4 setting for a close and irritation-free shave. Good luck and enjoy.

Hello, welcome to: " The shaving Room " Relax & Enjoy.

The Futur is a great razor, start with setting No1 then work you way up. Maybe try a Blade sample pack from Connought Shaving (Phil) is a member here.

Charles U.K

Thanks for friendly welcome guys :)

I am using Akro at the moment. I tried creating a good lathe with a bowl etc but didn't have much luck. I think my brush is a bit naff so purchased a badger hair one that should be arriving soon.

I usually rub the Akro on my beard area after a shower and then use the brush to lathe it up. I do not have a thick beard as I am Aryan and so only have a fair beard. I usually shave once a week.

I have ordered some Proraso aftershave balm so that should help post shave. My first shave with the Futur even on setting 1 was a bit brutal compared to my usual cheap DE I am used to. To be fair this is probably more likely the change or blades from my usual SupperMax to recommended Astra blades.

I'll keep you up to date

Welcome! Actually the 'DE shaving is cheap' is only a catchphrase :-D
I was OK with a can of foam and a Mach3 back then, now the software consists of tens and tens of soaps, creams, blades, razors, ASs, ASBs, colognes... and I am far from testing half of what I wanted to :-D

Back
Top Bottom