My email address and spam messages

Hello,

This morning I changed my email address here, and only here, to a random set of letters and numbers to avoid it being picked up as a handy name to send unwanted mail to.

Since then, I have had 11 spam emails to that address.

Can anyone technical explain how that can innocently happen or should I take it at face value that my address has been passed on to them by this website?

Mark

I'm BT and don't get spam...........until two days ago! Been contacting them to see why I've had more than 200 since. They normally go straight into my Junk folder.
Any ideas?

You should perhaps try another more robust provider like gmail etc. It seems odd to get spam so quickly unless your new account is just an alias for your other one? I.e. You can send an email to one and will go to both.

Roefisher said:
Hello,

This morning I changed my email address here, and only here, to a random set of letters and numbers to avoid it being picked up as a handy name to send unwanted mail to.

Can anyone technical explain how that can innocently happen or should I take it at face value that my address has been passed on to them by this website?

Mark
It most certainly hasn't been passed on by this website.

BT on the other hand has more holes than a grade A sieve.

Roefisher said:
Hello,

Mark

How much spam did you receive before you changed the address?

I find it quite offensive that you suggest we are selling email addresses to spammers :mad:

Boab said:
How much spam did you receive before you changed the address?

I have five BT email addresses and the other only one which ever received spam was the one I had here previously - but I couldn't narrow the spam source down to here at that time because it was also connected to several other places. And then this one, which is only being used here.

Boab said:
I find it quite offensive that you suggest we are selling email addresses to spammers :mad:

If you're offended that's your tough shite, then. Because the way I see it, the spam came from my email details being given out by this forum.

Mark

I have a BT email address and most spam gets filtered in to the spam folder and I just delete on bulk. A lot of the spam is sent to multiple BT addresses on bulk which I suppose is under pure speculation that the email address even exists. I suppose if it doesn't ping straight back to the sender they know they have a valid address which they then bombard and also pass on to other spammers.. Spam for me is just fact of life, one to be ignored, but that's just my opinion.

Now my Apple "me" email address has never received a single spam, but it's never used except for sending emails to two people and from Apple.

For what it's worth I fully trust that my email address hasn't been sold of passed on from here. I've not received anything out of the ordinary which has beat the spam filter in ages. My spam is usually the normal prescription Meds, busty "ladies", PPI. Oh and to tell me that the bank account I have never had has been "suspended" due to unusual activity. Strange thing is it has other email addresses which it has been sent too. Dumb spammers !

Spam is just a fact of life. But with my Google mail everything spam goes into a spam folder. Extremely rare anything gets through.
My Hotmail or whatever it's called now used to get loads of spam break through the filters. Nothing I get upset about though

Back
Top Bottom