My feelings about "holy grail", "forever razors", "stainless steel wonders"

My experience is that with most razors - except the very mild ones - I had really pleasing, almost perfect shaves as well as rather horrible ones with nicks/bloodpoints/skin irritation.

For me I doubt I will ever find 'the holy grail' razor, whatever material or form factor (DE/SE/system/straight/shavette/...), but that doesn't keep me from testing and trying new ones[emoji51]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I am frustrated and tired of wet shaving. Is nothing like 5 years ago. It makes me sad and on egde of dropping it. All due people raising prices and creating unobtainable items which was not a case before.

I can't grasp Wolfman and BBS-1 business model (I use this as example but is more and more products following)

I am not a collector and I buy to use. Due my skin issues my choices are limited, however I can't get items I need to shave due people hoarding them for profit or just to have them, even to they don't use them.

I am sorry but that hurts me and soon I might simply disappear and don't bother.

I had been hunting Darwin for at least 2 years. I had it on loan and was perfect match for me. Furthermore, Tradere OC. Only modern razor to agree with me.

I was lucky enough that great number of this forum send me 600 grams of p.160 a soap which is again perfect for my face.

I am limited to

Pre WW2 Gillette OC razors(NEW Or NI series)
P.160 and vintage old spice
London Bridge and Triton Blades
Thayers

I use this days only Gillette as much as they are good they do not match to shave results I got from Darwin and Tradere.

Prices and availability are ridiculous. I observe SOTD and they are not often use by people. There is one person on this forum I see using Darwin regularly and one on Facebook. Tradere rarely I see being used.

I am not gonna send link or tell user name but in other forum there is user offering 4 razors(Weber dlc and wolfmans) for one BBS-1 and also one BBS-1 sold on ebay today for almost 1000$

I do understand that object is worth as much as you are willing to pay but there is border with everything.

Please tell us what "needed" items are unavailable because of "hoarding".
Also each of us have other "needed" items due Skin condition and I for once struggle a lot to find compatible product

I tried 100+soaps and creams and 50+razors.

I want to have 3 set ups in rotation Of each as sometimes skin and hair reacted differently to daily set up. Sometimes I get great results from one set up and then one day is just not working so I swap to second.

A lot of people know of my struggle. So yes I have needed products rather than wanted

I am not gonna send link or tell user name but in other forum there is user offering 4 razors(Weber dlc and wolfmans) for one BBS-1 and also one BBS-1 sold on ebay today for almost 1000$

I do understand that object is worth as much as you are willing to pay but there is border with everything.
Its how it is with most things. So many people go about buying things just to make sure others don't. And many go about simply putting large bids on items to screw with people hoping they can get say, a toggle for 80$ US.
badger and blade has a thread on items sold/bought on ebay, and there is a good amount of posts from that forums members about how they will slap a huge price on something just to "pass the time from boredom" as well as "toss the value up to teach poor people a lesson".

And if you are curious, youll have to dig through the badger de razor sub forum.

A lot of people will get the "rare" or "ultimate" razors simply to say they have one. I have never actually heard of more then two people saying they have actually used a Gillette double ring, but every body wants one. TO RESELL.

And don't discount that most forums seem to feel that razors like the tech and feather popular and even times the ej89 are simply "starter razors" that are only acceptable until you can afford to get one of those super razors.

In some ways its like the real estate market, and how it went to shit once the whole flipping and "starter home" market came into being

I had been hunting Darwin for at least 2 years. I had it on loan and was perfect match for me. Furthermore, Tradere OC. Only modern razor to agree with me.

I was lucky enough that great number of this forum send me 600 grams of p.160 a soap which is again perfect for my face.

Bullgoose next big project is a clone of a Darwin. Supposed to happen soon. You might want to check it out, however his last razor was well over $200. As of the p.160, RR has a clone of that soap out for a while now. Granted both are not the original, but for the lack of an original, these might work.

Its how it is with most things. So many people go about buying things just to make sure others don't. And many go about simply putting large bids on items to screw with people hoping they can get say, a toggle for 80$ US.
badger and blade has a thread on items sold/bought on ebay, and there is a good amount of posts from that forums members about how they will slap a huge price on something just to "pass the time from boredom" as well as "toss the value up to teach poor people a lesson".

And if you are curious, youll have to dig through the badger de razor sub forum.

A lot of people will get the "rare" or "ultimate" razors simply to say they have one. I have never actually heard of more then two people saying they have actually used a Gillette double ring, but every body wants one. TO RESELL.

And don't discount that most forums seem to feel that razors like the tech and feather popular and even times the ej89 are simply "starter razors" that are only acceptable until you can afford to get one of those super razors.

In some ways its like the real estate market, and how it went to shit once the whole flipping and "starter home" market came into being

As with everything in this world it comes down to supply and demand. I doubt that folks are slapping huge prices because they are bored or want to teach the poor lessons. I been on B&B a lot longer than here and have not seen that happen. Many folks there are collectors and so they will buy a razor because you can't find it and they were looking for it. Not a problem there and if they pay a high price for it, it doesn't necessarily mean that they want to jack up the resale value.

As for your statement about the lower cost razors being starter razors, that may be true, but they also have characteristics of being a good starter razor and as people's skill and interest grows, it is natural for most to look at something different and better. It's a thing called growing.

As for the real estate market going to shit because of flipping, I think the subprime mortgages and loan processors making unqualified people qualify for loans they would eventually default on and the banks packaging these bad loans to sell to the larger lenders probably contributed more.

Bullgoose next big project is a clone of a Darwin. Supposed to happen soon. You might want to check it out, however his last razor was well over $200. As of the p.160, RR has a clone of that soap out for a while now. Granted both are not the original, but for the lack of an original, these might work.

There is one for sale on Ebay in a lot of razors right now.

there is a ebay purchase thread I went through there and a lot of the posters admitted to having put a bid on an item just to jack the price up. Ironically I found an ebay link to a purchase one of those guys made and it was an item I had a bid on , that went from 35$ to 120$.... and the purchaser stated he had no intentions of even opening the package when it arrived because "he had put the bid in to kill time"

It could be worse. You could be hoping to grab the next Star Wars Action Figure and have to go up against Sheldon Cooper the Smelly Pooper.
So true :D

@Holyzeus you see it as moan I see it as the truth that this hobby is changing (in good and bad way). Its reality and I accept that, however I am a free man and have right to state my opinion. Furthermore, as free man I stated that I might stop participating in this hobby (either way nobody will miss me). Many of my good friends stop participating in forums life due similar reason and we keep touch by email.

There are good sides of this growing interest too. We are now living in Golden Age of Shaving having great amount choice of products, which simple 5 years ago was not a case. I am very happy to have chance to try so many great artisan products, even when they don't work for me. I am even more happy seeing more and more people being interested in wet shaving because it teaches you patience, Gentleman behaviour and appreciation of little things. For me shave forums are now about chatting to great members (especially here) and getting guidance on many other aspects of life besides wet shaving.

Lets face it who doesn't wait for @Darkbulb to show off some new fancy thing:D

there is a ebay purchase thread I went through there and a lot of the posters admitted to having put a bid on an item just to jack the price up. Ironically I found an ebay link to a purchase one of those guys made and it was an item I had a bid on , that went from 35$ to 120$.... and the purchaser stated he had no intentions of even opening the package when it arrived because "he had put the bid in to kill time"

If you are talking about the EBAY DIGEST thread, most of the folks there are pointing out things listed on ebay at outrageous prices. I haven't come across many folks that say they are bored and sit around the house bidding on items just to jack the prices up. It would seem counter productive as they would have to pay that higher price if they won. As for your experience of bidding $35 on an item that eventually sold for $120, this only means that the item was probably worth more than $35 since a bunch of people bid further than you. Once a person wins a bid, he owns the item and it is up to him what to do with it. Just wanted to point these things out because hanging out and moaning about how the vintage (or high end) razor market has changed will not change anything.

Back
Top Bottom