My first DE shave....

Good luck on returning to DEs Andy hope it works well for you this time round. Just work away at your own pace m8 and I'm sure you'll find what suits you best. Irrespective of the type of razor you use I found the soap makes an enormous difference to my skin condition. Glycerine soaps helped me a lot, however the likes of P & B, NSS, OSP and Wickhams all make tremendous products for protection against razor burn whilst leaving the skin feeling great. I'm using an unscented version of one of them just now and having no probs.

JohnnyO. o/
P & B, NSS, OSP and Wickhams. NSS = Nannys Silly Soap, can you elaborate on the others. I like the look of Nannys, I think Glycerine is what will work best for me ... Thanks

Sorry Andy, my mistake, Phoenix & Beau, Obsessive Soap Perfectionist, Wickhams 1912. They're all members on here and make skin friendly soaps. They have their own websites under those names if you want to check out what 's on offer.

JohnnyO. o/

Thanks Blademonkey
Give a man a Cartridge razor and he'll have a shave. Give a man a DE razor and he'll be skint for life.
Wayne Mattison

This quote appears further up the page, I can't argue with it ...
Hi AndyBoyUK, did you manage to find some sample blades? If you have not I've remembered where I saw a good deal. It's at connaught shaving, you can find a link to them one the shaving room home page. Good luck, have a nice day

Hi AndyBoyUK, did you manage to find some sample blades? If you have not I've remembered where I saw a good deal. It's at connaught shaving, you can find a link to them one the shaving room home page. Good luck, have a nice day
Thanks for that, I'll check them out. I found these on evil bay Razor blade mixed sample pack
(50 best quality -Mild- Double edge blades)
The Mild bit appealed to me ..
You will receive:
1 tuck (5pcs) Astra Superior Platinum, made in Russia
1 tuck (10pcs) Dorco ST-301 Platinum, made in South Korea
1 tuck (5pcs) Ladas Super Stainless, made in Russia
1 tuck (5pcs) Rapira Platinum Lux, made in Russia
1 tuck (10pcs) Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium, made in India
1 tuck (5pcs) Super-Max Platinum, made in India
1 tuck (5pcs) Super-Max Super Platinum, made in India
1 tuck (5pcs) Sputnik Teflon Coated, made in Russia

Blademonkey - Yes they seem to have a better deal .... Thanks
http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I'll check them out. I found these on evil bay Razor blade mixed sample panock
You will receive:

Thanks for that, I'll check them out. I found these on evil bay Razor blade mixed sample pack
You will receive:

I wouldn't worry about sampling blades just yet. Stick with one razor and one razor blade until you have your technique down. When you have that mastered then go to try a blade and get some samples, http://tryablade.com/
For the time being the lab blues would match the razor you're getting perfectly http://connaughtshaving.com/perslb.html

I wouldn't worry about sampling blades just yet. Stick with one razor and one razor blade until you have your technique down. When you have that mastered then go to try a blade and get some samples, http://tryablade.com/
For the time being the lab blues would match the razor you're getting perfectly http://connaughtshaving.com/perslb.html
Andyboy is not completely new to DE shaving, he gave up because he was getting razor bumps having not found the correct blade for him , his technique is not at question here... He has been DE shaving for many years ,he just has not found a blade that suits his skin yet, that is why he is looking at blade samplers , Andyboy and myself have spoken at length and he knows what he is doing, that is trying to find the blade that works for him. Have a nice day.

Had my second DE shave this morning. No cuts or nicks and very smooth finish. All went well apart from the chorus of disapproval from the rest of my family becuase of the amount of time I was taking in the bathroom.:D

Used the same set up as my first shave and the lather seemed to improve, more soap less water, still not happy though. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.
Used Thayers witch hazel for the first time. First impressions were OK. I wasn't blown away by it but I wasn't sure what to expect TBH.

Had my second DE shave this morning. No cuts or nicks and very smooth finish. All went well apart from the chorus of disapproval from the rest of my family becuase of the amount of time I was taking in the bathroom.:D

Used the same set up as my first shave and the lather seemed to improve, more soap less water, still not happy though. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.
Used Thayers witch hazel for the first time. First impressions were OK. I wasn't blown away by it but I wasn't sure what to expect TBH.
Not sure if I would like witch hazel

Well done with you second DE shave, I'm pleased it went well for you.
Keep up with the thayers, it is good stuff, it's far kinder for your skin than some drying astringents like alum for instance and with prolonged use you will see a difference in your skin tone as it tightens your pores and protects your skin at the same time. Once dryed you can use an aftershave balm or splash.
The soap thing will come with practice so don't worry too much about that. I know what you mean about the amount of time spent in the bathroom, I always ask Do you need to use the bathroom before me ?and that way I can rest assured I will not be disturbed during my shave!
Happy shaving, have a nice day.

Well done with you second DE shave, I'm pleased it went well for you.
Keep up with the thayers, it is good stuff, it's far kinder for your skin than some drying astringents like alum for instance and with prolonged use you will see a difference in your skin tone as it tightens your pores and protects your skin at the same time. Once dryed you can use an aftershave balm or splash.
The soap thing will come with practice so don't worry too much about that. I know what you mean about the amount of time spent in the bathroom, I always ask Do you need to use the bathroom before me ?and that way I can rest assured I will not be disturbed during my shave!
Happy shaving, have a nice day.

Thayers £11.99 on evil bay .... I'm going to be skint soon

After weeks of watching YouTube videos and reading this forum I had my first DE shave this morning.

Had a shower and used a Nivea face scrub for my prep. Applied some King of Shaves pre shave oil before I started making my lather. I had a number of samples to chose from but I decided to use the TOBS sandalwood I bought before I went a bit mad buying loads of samples.

I put some cream into the Razorock Pilssoft brush (the brush had been left in the sink with warm water for a few minutes) and started lathering in the bowl. It lathered up pretty quickly but I wasn't sure if I need more soap or water. I put a little more soap in the brush and started to lather up on my face. The lather was OK but I wasn't 100% happy with the consistency. I guess this is one of the many things that will come with practice.

Now onto the big moment of truth, actually shaving.
I used the Merkur 34c with an Astra blade. I'd put the blade in before I had a shower and checked the alignment of the blade (Thank you 'Nick shaves').
I took a deep breath and went for it. My first reaction was, "Is that it?".
I did a three pass shave (swilling my face off between each pass) and took my time. I only caught myself once on my bottom lip, right in the centre. It was very small and stopped after apply some cold water and pressure.
I finished with Nivea aftershave balm and some Fine Platinum aftershave.
The shave took 20 minutes and another 5 minutes to clean everything up...

I've never had a better shave. My face is super smooth and I've been cool all day...

I think you are inhuman. You can't be a real person. After all, we all "know" no rookies ever research ahead of time, diligently follow instructions, use basic solid eqpmt. and then have stellar results. Usually they start out buying a small arsenal of expensive "tackle", listen to no one, plod on ahead and then come back to tell everyone how full of sh&t they are about DE shaving being so much better than ctg. shaving!!

Yep, surely your post is cruel trick being played upon us. ;) (Sarcasm)

P.S. What a fantastic story from an intelligent newbie. :)

Back
Top Bottom