My first fountain pen since school...

Bought myself a Parker 45 from eBay today.

Quite nice looking although the pics are a bit rubbish so I'll have to wait for delivery to double check it's not a dog!

Now I just need to get myself a deluxe converter and a bottle of nice ink and I'm set.

If it hadn't been for this place I would never had even thought of getting a fountain pen! I get poorer and poorer every day I'm here lol

Pics below...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384619790831.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384619790831.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384619802860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384619802860.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 44
I too succumbed to the enablers and whilst fishing on the Bay, suddenly weakened and won a very nice boxed Sheaffer Prelude in mint condition. Two bottles of Diamine ink later from Cultpens and I'm happy as a sandboy, back to my schooldays. How did that happen then!

Re: RE: My first fountain pen since school...

mayhem72 said:
All this talk of fountain pens has got me looking now, anyone recommend one for reasonable money?

Well I did my research and the review for the for the Parker 45 were pretty good.

Check this link by the main YouTube guy sbrebrown.... http://youtu.be/8NfKszB7IhI

I picked mine up for around £8 delivered. Very good for a vintage one. Well i think mines vintage anyway!

Nice. I have been looking at some pens the last few days too. Got a nice old parker duofold for Christmas last year which is lovely. Don't really use it round the house but its too nice for work. Heard good things about the 45s. Was very tempted by the one sunburyboy had for sale the other day. Looked very nice. I think pens are my little obsession for the next week or so...
Celticroots, your right about this place, great as it is its costing me some money...

Well I just got through ordering my converter and inks.

I went for Diamine inks Bilberry, Sherwood green and saddle brown.

Hopefully they'll be reasonably quick dry as I always hated the smudging when your hand brushed across wet ink.

Congrats! Your Parker 45 looks like a winner.

I went from having just one fountain pen, a Parker 17 from my school days, to adding in quick succession a Sailor 1911L and few Lamy's (an Al Star with F nib, one with M nib, and a Safari with 1.1mm italic nib that's on order). Thay all are a lot of fun and have improved my handwriting significantly compared to the spider scratchings I used to get with a ballpoint.

Diamine are beautiful inks and probably the most affordable in the UK. Sherwood Green is a deep, almost green-black ink. For daily writing and correspondence I use Diamine Sapphire Blue. The only problem is that the more inks you have the more FP's you need!

after joining and reading this forum i bought some new ink carts for my old parker, god im getting old

not sure which it is but its all silver and came in a set of three i think

have the ball point here but can't find the pencil

Having got back into fountain pens through this forum, I've suddenly discovered Calligraphy, and as well as calligraphy pens, have now become addicted to Brush Pens, including Pentel, Kuretake Zig, Tombow, Faber -Castell and Berol. This PAD is becoming more addictive than RAD!

Re: RE: My first fountain pen since school...

majortom said:
Having got back into fountain pens through this forum, I've suddenly discovered Calligraphy, and as well as calligraphy pens, have now become addicted to Brush Pens, including Pentel, Kuretake Zig, Tombow, Faber -Castell and Berol. This PAD is becoming more addictive than RAD!

Funnily enough I've just been looking at a dip pen.

Some of the people on YouTube are just amazing!

FrankieG said:
Congrats! Your Parker 45 looks like a winner.

I went from having just one fountain pen, a Parker 17 from my school days, to adding in quick succession a Sailor 1911L and few Lamy's (an Al Star with F nib, one with M nib, and a Safari with 1.1mm italic nib that's on order). Thay all are a lot of fun and have improved my handwriting significantly compared to the spider scratchings I used to get with a ballpoint.

Diamine are beautiful inks and probably the most affordable in the UK. Sherwood Green is a deep, almost green-black ink. For daily writing and correspondence I use Diamine Sapphire Blue. The only problem is that the more inks you have the more FP's you need!

The Parker, inks and converter all arrived today. I just got home so am off to have a mess with them :)

I decided I needed to improve my hand writing after being told by the Mrs that it's currently nigh on illegible!

My thinking was if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it properly so!

Thanks HM,

I'm pretty confident that I know where I'm going wrong.

I was taught from a very young age in cursive and over the years have just become really sloppy with it.

Along with that I tend to rush anything I write making it even more difficult to read.

I think the problem can be solved by just practicing my cursive again for a while and taking more time and care with writing. Once I get in to those good habits I think I'll be fine... fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom