My First Order

So it's not a combination that is often talked about in "beginning" terms but what the hell, it's all good kit and you'll have a lot of fun learning, just try to go a bit easy and you should be fine. Feathers aren't lethal or anything, just sharp, but you know that already.
That's actually a setup that might well be seeing you right a couple of years from now, although you'll have bought other razors by then just for the shits and giggles.

Just my 2c on your existing razor. Unless you have a good eye for it, the razor might be out of alignment.

This can cause the problems you describe.

The 60's super speeds and rockets are amongst the best starting razors IF they are in working order.

What do you have, where did you get it from? Let's see some photos!

Thanks Everyone for the tips, advice, and thoughts! I had my first shave yesterday. I was in Sacramento this past weekend for a training seminar, and found a mall across the street that had an Art of Shaving store in it, so I just HAD to go check it out. I picked up a pack of blades (Merkurs) which was the only brand they carried. Also picked up a travel shaving set, sans razor for my trips, which seem to be increasing.

Anyway got home and had my first shave yesterday. Used the sample Merkur blade that came with the razor per many recommendations NOT to go with the feather first time out. Didn't do too bad, no major nicks or slices, but did have a few- I guess yall call them 'weepers'. I kept the setting at "1", and did 2 passes. Two things I noticed are: 1. Need something to help with handle grip, was a little slick after getting some cream on it, and 2. I am horrid at figuring out the right angle to hold the razor at. The razor is by far the heaviest I have ever used before, which from what I've read is what one should look for in a razor. I also admit probably in trying to find the correct angle (which I'm still having challenges with) put too much pressure, which again from my reading her is a no-no, and is what I'm guessing caused the weeping.

Some asked why I didn't stay with the DE razor I acquired several years ago that didn't work for me. It was because that the adjuster didn't work right, and the blade would end up perpendicular to the handle. I tried cleaning, oiling it, but no change.

So that's my first report. I can see it is going to be an journey in learning this skill, and hopefully as fun as all my other fun things: motorcycles, cigars, guns, piping, and competitive pistol shooting...

Slainte'!

Doc

Handle slipperiness is another reason for not recommending that razor for new DE shavers, IMO. All I can suggest is using your towel to dry your fingers. As far as angle is concerned, placing the razor on your arm held across your body at eye level and lowering the handle from vertical until the blade touches is a good technique for getting a feel. Then, as you get ready to make your first stroke when you shave, hold the razor parallel with the floor and tilt the handle down until the blade makes contact. You need to keep your wrist fairly firm as you shave with a DE - taking long strokes with wrist movement as they show in Gillette commercials is a very bad idea with a DE.

Back
Top Bottom