My First Proper Restoration GEM Damaskeene

Fished this poor tired example out of the bay recently, as you can see it's in desperate need of some TLC!

As you can see there is some pretty serious brassing...which is handy as the plan is to re-plate this poor old lady :)

I'll also need to fix the bent safety rail and sort a replacement spring.

First off though is a nice hot foamy bath!!!

Yes how? I wouldn't attempt it without an application of heat.

Actually it looks like pressed steel so you should be okay if it is, still some heat will help.

antdad said:
Yes how? I wouldn't attempt it without an application of heat.

Actually it looks like pressed steel so you should be okay if it is, still some heat will help.

All sorted, bit of heat and some very gentle manipulation with some smooth pliers....job done :)

Well after a very good scrub in hot soapy water, then bleach, then more hot water and a good rinse this is what she looked like :)

Not too bad, but I think a bit of copper brush action might cheer her up a bit!

And once everything has been lightly brushed...

Getting there now. Nearly ready for re-plating, just needs a thorough going over with some wet and dry to soften some of the wear and tear that the last few decades have put on the old girl.

Then good polish before heading off for more washing ready for re-plating.

And here she is, in all her glory :)

Right, I'm off for a shave........

That's a lot of work, but you ended up with a nice looking sinker.

I'm pretty sure those goofy looking things aren't actually used for shaving, except for a few twisted SE cultists.

Martin

pjgh said:
Swish! Very swish!

Cheers Paul :)

pugh-the-special-one said:
Very nicely done Simon you've done a fine restore give yourself a pat on the back.

Cheers....pat duly administered :)

Whosthedaddy said:
Excellent results, ready for another 100 years of shaving

Thank you kind Sir :)

antdad said:
Does it even need replating and what did you use to apply heat?

The last few pics are after it's been re-plated, heat wise I went for subtle use of my Black & Decker paint stripping gun, seemed to work ok :)

dodgy said:
That's a lot of work, but you ended up with a nice looking sinker.

I'm pretty sure those goofy looking things aren't actually used for shaving, except for a few twisted SE cultists.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I'll let you know when I catch my first fish with it!

Re: RE: My First Proper Restoration GEM Damaskeene

Hippo said:
The last few pics are after it's been re-plated, heat wise I went for subtle use of my Black & Decker paint stripping gun, seemed to work ok :)
What's the heat part of replating? Do you apply heat after it's plated to improve the finish?

The wire brushing looked really effective – wouldn't have thought of doing that. Nice result
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom