My First Proper Restoration GEM Damaskeene

Thanks for taking the time to photograph (excellent shots BTW) and walk us through the whole process. I'm sure it will inspire others.
Like UKRob I would have thought it was a dead loss but you've proved us wrong.

Don't tell me you did the plating yourself too!

chriszacharek said:
Bloody well done!

Cheers Chris :)

fancontroller said:
Thanks for taking the time to photograph (excellent shots BTW) and walk us through the whole process. I'm sure it will inspire others.
Like UKRob I would have thought it was a dead loss but you've proved us wrong.

Don't tell me you did the plating yourself too!

Thanks Mike, most kind.

And, yep, I did indeed do the plating myself :)

PhilD said:
The wire brushing looked really effective – wouldn't have thought of doing that. Nice result
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, it's surprising how well they come up after some attention from a copper brush, mind you it can also wear through any worn plating too :icon_sad:

ravey said:
Hippo said:
The last few pics are after it's been re-plated, heat wise I went for subtle use of my Black & Decker paint stripping gun, seemed to work ok :)
What's the heat part of replating? Do you apply heat after it's plated to improve the finish?

No the heat was to make bending the safety bar a little less traumatic than it could have been :)

Re: RE: My First Proper Restoration GEM Damaskeene

Hippo said:
No the heat was to make bending the safety bar a little less traumatic than it could have been :)
Ah cool, I'd been researching replating and was wondering why I had missed any such technique :)

Back
Top Bottom