My first SE shave

This is getting ridiculous now.

This razor is SO smooth, yet SO efficient it seems unreal. Last night I managed a 1 pass (WTG/XTG hybrid) and it took the LOT off. No irritation, no redness.

I can't get results like this with any of my DE's

Greetings

In my opinion there are differences, but they are extremely small and very difficult to detect. I would suggest that you would need to shave with two different razors either side of your face to tell the difference and even then it would not be easy.

This is not to say that some models do seem to feel nicer on the face than others but I have little doubt that no small part of this is 'in the mind' and influenced by relatively minor things like different handles etc. Once you feel that a certain model feels better it is hard to accept otherwise, a lot of mind games are involved here at least IMHO.

99% of 1912's give a super shave irrespective of cosmetic condition and you may find that a brassy old 99 pence model that nobody else has bid on turns out to be your favourite..............the reason?; who knows!

Regards
Dick.+

There is ... but it's broad. We get hints from the style and where it was made.

All "1912s" are post-1919. Prior to that, as GEM they were Damaskeenes and there were no pre-1919 Ever Ready. In 1919, GEM was bought out by the American Safety Razor Co. Inc. (who held the Ever Ready trademark) and became the American Safety Razor Corp. (this helps date 1914s). 1930, GEM ceased the 1912, but re-branded it the "GEM Junior" on the back (and ceased altogether in 1933 ... picked up as the Star brand). 1930 on we have Ever Ready 1912s. The shape of the comb can help date GEMs - the very corners bow out on the earlier ones and all Ever Ready, post-1930 the corners are sort of trimmed. Ever Ready (post-1930 and US) had the same shape but the old shape remained for British made. Late British (from the end of the '40s) started to come with aluminium handles.

... or something like that.

Forgive the size of the image -

$_57.JPG

So as a Gem, not a Gem Junior & with what looks like you're describing as bowed out corners, this is likely to be 1920's??

pjgh said:
There is ... but it's broad. We get hints from the style and where it was made.

All "1912s" are post-1919. Prior to that, as GEM they were Damaskeenes and there were no pre-1919 Ever Ready. In 1919, GEM was bought out by the American Safety Razor Co. Inc. (who held the Ever Ready trademark) and became the American Safety Razor Corp. (this helps date 1914s). 1930, GEM ceased the 1912, but re-branded it the "GEM Junior" on the back (and ceased altogether in 1933 ... picked up as the Star brand). 1930 on we have Ever Ready 1912s. The shape of the comb can help date GEMs - the very corners bow out on the earlier ones and all Ever Ready, post-1930 the corners are sort of trimmed. Ever Ready (post-1930 and US) had the same shape but the old shape remained for British made. Late British (from the end of the '40s) started to come with aluminium handles.

... or something like that.

Thanks for this Paul, very helpful and I certainly didn't know this. I am starting to get a bit trigger happy, I am guessing i'm gonna have a few in the bathroom soon!

Back
Top Bottom