My first straight restore

So now may be a good time to make a comparison. Send it to me and I will try and hone it. I will also attempt to identify any problems. Either way I'll let you have some decent feedback.

I thought it might be useful to continue this thread.

I received Eric's razor today and what is obvious under a 10x loupe is that the edge has lots of very tiny teeth, but looking at the scratch pattern, I don't think there has been much contact with the hone. So lesson 1 is that setting a bevel does need a bit of pressure - unlike the later hones where a very light touch is required.

When the bevel is set, you should be able to see a definite bevel line - that is not the case here. Unfortunately, I don't have a cameras capable of showing that kind of detail. When I've tried to set the bevel, I'll update and describe what it looks like.

Thanks Rob.
I've been watching the honing videos and for the most part they recommend "no pressure" or "weight of the razor only" or (my favorite) "butterfly kisses".
Guess I need to learn the rules, and those rules can be bent...or broken.

Tall_Paul said:
I'm going to leave my half honed bodges alone today and have a shave with a Bengall I bought from Fizog.

It's a beautiful razor. Really 'sings' on the strop!

You know what Paul? I have it's brother and it is my take away and go to razor when I'm rushing around. Bengall's are unsung and brilliant!

:icon_razz:

Steve

Continuing my post from last night - I mentioned that the edge had lots of tiny chips, so I gently ran it over some 400 grit paper at an angle of about 45 degrees for just a few passes.

Then on to the new 1k Chosera Naniwa stone used for the first time after lapping. This is a lovely stone that gives lots of feedback and I'm really impressed so thanks to Jamie for spotting the special offer. After circles and laps with pressure it was obvious from the amount of swarf that the bevel was not set properly before. By the time it was cutting arm hairs easily you could see the improvement with a naked eye let alone with a loupe.

I suppose the lesson is to stay on the bevel set stone until you are completely happy. It's not always easy, but this razor is actually very true and sits flush on the hones so it was a pretty fast fix. It was finished off on a progression and then red and black paste before leather alone. Feels good from a thumb pad test.

Back
Top Bottom