My new collection of fountain pens

I used to use a fountain pen at school (Parker 25) and then haven't used one for nearly 20 years.
A few months ago I got a Lamy Al-Star and fell in love with ink again. Unfortunately someone took a shine to the Lamy as it went walkies.
I got chatting to my dad today to see if he still had my old 25. 5 minutes later he brings me a handful of pens. He said I can have them all apart from his old school pen which he wants back after I've had a play with it. So I now have...

Parker 25. Needs a bit of TLC and a clean up.
Parker 51, greeny / grey colour. In a case (not sure if the original one). The pen looks like its been used once, the bladder still looks good. This was my grandfathers and my dad had said I can have it.
Parker Vector, black. I think this is my youngest sisters old school pen. Looks in fairly good condition.
Parker 15, black body, stainless lid, classic shape nib.

Platignum "100" (?). Shrouded nib, black plastic body, chrome lid. Body is cracked, won't unscrew.
Platignum "Regal". Classic nib. Plastic body and lid, poor condition, lever fill.

Sheaffer, black plastic body and lid, classic type nib. Average condition.

Conway Stewart. "57". Black with gold nib, trim and clip. In original box with guarantee. Hardly used. Bladder fill. Bladder is perished. This belonged to my Grandfather and my mother has said I am to have it.

Conway Stewart. "75". Tortoise shell. Average condition. My father has 'inscribed' his name in it. Lever fill. Lever is missing the end and will need a slight restore. Dad will have this back.

Watermans black body "502" lever fill. Average condition.

So not bad for just asking 'have you got my old pen'.

And it turns out my uncle collects pens and in the words of my mum 'He has got bloody loads of the things'.

Over the past couple of weeks at work I have used my Parker 51, Parker Vector, Parker 25.
Of the three I prefer using the 25. If only you could still get new nibs as for what I use it for at work I think a fine nib would be better. But for general writing, all 3 are great. Wish I had renewed my passion for ink years ago.

Also been on the look out for a Parker 50 Falcon. But prices seem to be very keen at the minute and my wife has banned me from buying.

All the others in my collection remain untouched as the 3 Parkers have been so easy to clean and fun to use. I know that a couple of the above will need some proper time spending on them.

Sounds like you are having great success with your hobby. I am enjoying using my new Parker Rialto and my Parker 45. I am now starting to try different inks, particularly enjoying a very dark brown.

Brianpilman said:
I wish I could use a fountain pen being a lefty there nigh on impossible to use

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lamy+left+handed+nib&oq=lamy+left+handed+nib&aqs=chrome.0.57.5875&sugexp=chrome,mod=13&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=lamy+left+handed+nib&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=VVSyUNDkEcy0hAegiIGQDQ&ved=0CGEQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1fdb8b2c2c377387&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=909

searched for Lamy but there are left handed nibs for other brands. Is smudging more of an issue for a lefty using a fountain pen than with a ball-point?

I must resist something else now. It's not that I do a lot of writing infact that little that at 32 I can't write in joined up anymore mainly in large and small capitals. It is something I could do with relearning

Gingerpose said:
Brianpilman said:
I wish I could use a fountain pen being a lefty there nigh on impossible to use

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lamy+left+handed+nib&oq=lamy+left+handed+nib&aqs=chrome.0.57.5875&sugexp=chrome,mod=13&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=lamy+left+handed+nib&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=VVSyUNDkEcy0hAegiIGQDQ&ved=0CGEQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1fdb8b2c2c377387&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=909

searched for Lamy but there are left handed nibs for other brands. Is smudging more of an issue for a lefty using a fountain pen than with a ball-point?

Im a lefty :s never had a problem with this, but i do angle the paper im using whilst writing.

balidey said:
Also been on the look out for a Parker 50 Falcon. But prices seem to be very keen at the minute and my wife has banned me from buying.

Just picked up a Parker 50 Falcon on ebay. Been looking for one for a while. Really wanted the brown, but will have to settle for gold.... for now.
Just waiting for it to arrive and start using it. Hope it writes as well as it looks.

Another lefty fountain pen user here.
Stopped using them for a while then bought a Lamy Safari. Great pen, but I didn't like the way it forced me to hold the pen because of the way it it is indented on the barrel.
I now regularly use an old Parker Vector which I prefer as it has a round smooth barrel.

Parker 50 arrived today.
I'm definitly not a fan of the gold finish.
And the threaded part of the nib has a crack in the thread, so the barrel is slightly off centre.
Will try and superglue it if possible to stop the crack growing.
I can't really complain to the ebay seller as it was advertised as just a 'Parker fountain pen' I knew it was a 50 and managed to get it for £10.
OK it is only worth a tenner now. In mint condition its £50 plus.
Will hopefully ink it and write at the weekend.

Not too impressed with the 50 Falcon.
Condition is a bit scrappy.
As mentioned the thread has a crack.
I don't like the gold, ribbed finish.
Inked her up and had a go.
Super smooth nib, but its a medium to large. I much prefer thinner nibs.
And it flows a lot of ink.
So perfect for large flowing writing, but not my every day style.
So I am glad I got a Falcon, just perhaps not this one.
Only a tenner lost though.

Back
Top Bottom