My new travel brush restore

I've had this handle and knot ready for restore for almost a year now but just never got around to doing it until yesterday.

Here's the brush on the right in it's original sorry state, I picked it up inside one of those chrome tubes in an old travel set. The brush on the left is a Culmak, you can see the restoration of that one in this thread (Vintage Culmak restore).

5c8ef9b9.jpg

I removed the old knot by cutting it down and drilling it out, there was a load of cement filler which broke up and came out at the same time, leaving a hollow handle.

4686dc5e.jpg

I ordered a 20mm Super Badger hair fan shaped knot with extra hair from The Golden Nib and enlarged the hole by sanding back the handle.

Since the handle was hollow I used Milliput epoxy putty to fill the handle and also set the knot at a loft of 46mm. Unfortunately a bit of the putty made it onto the very base of the bristles, you can make out a faint green tinge if you look closely. It's irritating but doesn't effect the performance in any way. If I was to do this handle again I'd half fill the handle with putty, wait for it to set and then fix the knot with normal epoxy. The putty gives a nice weight to the handle.

I'm really pleased with how the brush has turned out. Pics of it post shave are below. It was originally intened to be a travel brush, it fits the chrome tube perfectly, but I think it will make it into everyday use as well. It's got nice soft tips and good backbone, but isn't a lather hog. All told, I think it turned out reasonably well. I'll try not to leave it a year before attempting the next one.

50ec7eba.jpg

2c07ffde.jpg

9e4e486f.jpg

Very nice job and a very nice looking little brush, this is a little idea that you may find helpful, maybe you could use a small wooden disk on the dry run so you have the correct loft hieght before you glue your knot in place, and before you remove your knot on the dry run wrap the bottom part of the knot in cling film, so when you do glue the knot into the base the cling film will protect your knot from the glue.

Regards Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom